Which watch version/software for my Mom?

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
My Mom is getting older and wants an iWatch for if she falls and for it's ability to detect unusual heart rhythms.

From what I understand you don't have to get the newest iWatch to get the sensors and software that can do this for her.

Of course, I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible. What's the oldest version of the iWatch that will still do all the medical functions the newest iWatch can do?

Thanks!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My Apple Watch Series 5 from 2019, which I would not recommend at this point in time because of its age, does all of that. I think it was added with the Series 4.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I agree with Annie too, SE 2022 is a good option. However, let me suggest this. Amazon has the base Series 7 Green in “excellent” condition for 261$. This will be only slightly above the new SE base price. Being your mom is elderly, the Oxygen and ECG sensors will provide more data points for her to be prompted by her iPhone if there’s been a change to the last month of measurements. The S7 will have, as best I could find, 6% larger screen, 16% higher resolution. It has always on display. It will charge in half the time (1.1 vs 2.2 hours).

IMHO, super important items: Expect the charge to last one day. So there will be one hour per day it will need to be on the charger. If your mom is like my (elderly) mom, she lives by a schedule. Get her to do daily routine of charge at shower time. This way she has the protection outside that time.
Teach her to make calls with the watch. Fall detention isn’t full proof. But right on her wrist is a way to call for help.
Best of luck…

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
My Mom is getting older and wants an iWatch for if she falls and for it's ability to detect unusual heart rhythms.

From what I understand you don't have to get the newest iWatch to get the sensors and software that can do this for her.

Of course, I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible. What's the oldest version of the iWatch that will still do all the medical functions the newest iWatch can do?

Thanks!

Don’t forget that which ever Apple Watch you choose for your mother she will need to have an iPhone as well and the two must be compatible.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

So, my 80 year old mother-in-law was concerned about falling, and the lady on TV that screams “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up !” requires a $30+ monthly monitoring charge. She also has a pace maker and a doctor issued O2 monitor.

The latest SE was a no brainer for her.

Not sure how old your mom is or if the ECG and O2 will be useful, but if it is, a brand new Series 8. Aluminum is fine. If they are not useful or important, then a brand new SE is fine.

Seriously, go to the Apple Store, Best Buy, or whatever stores are available where you live. It’s not worth cheaping out on it. The aluminum models are inexpensive. Get the latest versions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73