Which to get? 4 or 4S?

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating between getting a 4 (a shop near me still has 16gb in stock and are selling them for $99) or a 4S and have a couple questions that will hopefully help me decide.

The big question is Siri vs jailbreak. Siri looks really cool and I'd like to have it. I jailbreak solely for lockinfo. I like having my todo list on the lock screen for a quick glance. I ran my iPad without a jb to see how I'd like it but notification center doesn't seem to cut it.

Does the use of Siri count against your data limit if I can't get my unlimited back?

How often does Siri not work? My father in law has a 4s and the twice I've tried messing with siri it wouldn't connect. Does this happen often enough that it's not reliable?

That's it for now. I may have more here shortly.

Thank you.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Siri does use data, just depends on what you ask her to do and I've had no issues with Siri not being able to connect

Philbaines

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
There was a blog where someone worked out how much data Siri used.

I think it was about 20mb a month worked out on 20 questions asked a day

But don't quote me on that.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Siri can be a little spotty, but when she works, she uses very little data. I don't know of anyone that walked away from an unlimited data plan and was able to get it back, and I have a few friends that work for different carriers. For what you are wanting I actually think the 4 might serve you better. :confused:

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The line has always been active, I just shut off the data portion for a few months. I guess we'll see when I go to the store.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Siri seems to work fine. The data used will be what you ask it to do. So, if you ask it search the web, that will use data. If you ask it to update Facebook, that will use data. Siri use also uses some battery but you can set the settings to reduce battery consumption.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Siri seems to work fine. The data used will be what you ask it to do. So, if you ask it search the web, that will use data. If you ask it to update Facebook, that will use data. Siri use also uses some battery but you can set the settings to reduce battery consumption.

You cant use siri to update facebook unless you do it by text message..

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I doubt Siri uses much data, and while it is somewhat limited in functionality right now and experiences hiccups, it is only going to get better. And IMO LockInfo -- while a cool JB app -- is not even close to a reason to choose a 4 over a 4S.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Siri is reliable...I'd say in my experience it has been down less than 10% of the time i've owned the phone, and that was primarily during widespread outages that Apple was well aware of. The function of Siri being a network based tool will always mean there is a chance it will be down, but I'd say its been more than reliable thus far for me.

That said...the choice between the iPhone 4 vs. 4S on contract should be simple...the 4S is WELL worth the extra $100, and will be better for you down the road as far as resale value when another generation iPhone is released, since the 4 will then be 2 generations old, and will experience the anchor like value drop the 3GS is experiencing right now.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Siri uses very little data. I reset my data usage and ran Siri a few times during the day and the amount used was very low. Unless you would be using Siri a hell of a lot and I mean a hell of a lot, the amount of data used is going to be small.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy! It's always fun to get a new gadget!

Siri was spotty but I loved dictating text messages on the go.

I returned my 4s due to the inability to turn 3G off and constantly having dropped calls. :(

I'm back on my 4.

scotiez

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I also would go with the 4s, dual processor, better camera, new features like siri ( i love her and use it all the time), retina display, and more.