Which "photos" are in iCloud vs on the phone?

bigsmoove

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi. So the wife's iPhone has about 650 pics on it and we're trying to clear things out so it will back up to our 5gb iCloud space.

Before deleting things, what folder in Photos is local (on the phone) vs in the iCloud? I don't want to delete the wrong pics. And keep the wife happy too. You currently see Photos, Shared and Albums. I'm so confused. I have them all off in Dropbox but need to free up phone space.

Much thanks.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
First, you said, "our 5 gb". Are you sharing the same iCloud account? If so, you should change that and have separate iCloud accounts. That way you each get your own 5 gb. I store my excess photos and videos in Box and Dropbox. You can upload photos to Shared Photo Stream as well. You and your wife can put shared photos there. Once in Box, Dropbox or Shared Photo Stream, then you can delete those photos from your Photos app. But one of you needs to change your iCloud account. You can continue to share your iTunes ID. But you need separate iCloud ID, iMessage and FaceTime ID.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You might want to look into onedrive you get 30gb of free storage and it goes directly to a folder named camera roll on onedrive.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You might want to look into onedrive you get 30gb of free storage and it goes directly to a folder named camera roll on onedrive.
I only got 18 free gb with OneDrive. How did you get 30?
The "Camera roll" is if you want it to upload all your photos. I don't do that. I made my own folders or albums. Then put the photos I wanted in each. I don't like that automatically upload everything.

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked it out lately? It updated automatically. Also if you set up camera roll you get if I remember correctly the 5gb to bring it to the 30gb.

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone pictures go directly to the camera roll, then you can move them to whatever folder that you want. I take alot of pictures with my nikon and upload them also. What's great is onedrive is baked in Windows so it's pretty convenient. Though the web interface works pretty well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone pictures go directly to the camera roll, then you can move them to whatever folder that you want. I take alot of pictures with my nikon and upload them also. What's great is onedrive is baked in Windows so it's pretty convenient. Though the web interface works pretty well.

I have most of my photos in Box. I have 50 free gb there. Not much on my Photos app. I'll check it for the additional gb. Thanks. I don't read everything about updates. Guess I should.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro