Which Macbook Pro should I get if I already have an iMac - Suggestions?

I

iMore Question

A few months ago I replaced my 2011 MacBook Pro with a new 27" iMac. It was always my intent to invest in a large iMac since it provides a much larger canvas to work on, with a laptop that would act as a supplementary device for on-the-go. I'll be graduating this semester, so I don't have a ton of cash to shell out for the highest end MBP, but I'd still like a portable option that will give me the most bang for my buck. I'm a graphic designer; I work mostly in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and InDesign. I've been looking into either the 13" or 15" retina MBPs. With my iMac being my core device, I don't feel like screen size is a huge necessity for me. I'm mostly concerned with how much RAM, storage, and which processor I would need. I'm open to customizing it if need be, but ideally my budget is under $2,000. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I am a into graphic & web design on a small time basis. My suggestion is the 13" MBP. I work extensively in PS, AI and ID. I have a 27" iMac which as my real work horse and a 13" MBP for my on the go work horse. It is a great combination and has worked well for me. I would go with the 13", 2.7 GHz, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD. It will more than handle anything you can throw at it and should last you for several years. That will keep you under your spending threshold, which will allow you to buy external should you need extra storage space. Hope this info helps you in your decision.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree with @firedept10. My 13" MBP Retina has served me well. Don't let its size fool you. It's a tough little machine!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with both Fire and Devillish, the 13" rMBP would be a perfect companion on the go.

If you did not own an iMac, I would have recommended the 15" rMBP.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods