Which IM app do you use?

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
All. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: but whatsapp (never liked it) and BBM (after 5 year of blackberry I hate anything BB related)

iMessage (rarely)
Viber (always, most used)
Wechat (sometimes)
Line (sometimes)
KakaoTalk (my favorite, sometimes)
Kik (rarely)
Threema (never, so far)
MyEnigma (very rarely)
Telegram (sometimes)
Surespot (never, so far).

Actually I am not using all of them simply because I do not have any contact using Threema, Kik and Surespot. All the others work fine with the exception of Telegram which is still a bit buggy: new contacts are not always syncronized.

Wow, that's a lot! To tell the truth, I've also registered with many IM apps, but seldom used any. I was trying to help our team reach out to our users but don't know how.
Ok, we've opened a Facebook Page and a twitter account, and even a skype account, but no one seems to be interested.
Maybe my next thread would be "how would you like to contact to a developer if you are using his/her app?"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Follow up question: how would you like to contact or be contacted by a developer if you're using his/her app?

Via a forum just like this one. I do not want to be solicited in any manner. If I purchase an app, I'd like to think that the developer will be grateful for it and make him or herself available for feedback (both good and bad) via a standard email address. I don't mind a single pop-up after about a week asking if I enjoy the app or asking me to rate the app, but if I'm hounded, I'll uninstall the app and vehemently let it be known that the app's developer(s) opt to harass customers with irritating pop-ups which in turn diminish the user experience.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Follow up question: how would you like to contact or be contacted by a developer if you're using his/her app?

Email. Easier to send crash logs and relevant information. Dealing in real time isn't an option for most devs anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Via a forum just like this one. I do not want to be solicited in any manner. If I purchase an app, I'd like to think that the developer will be grateful for it and make him or herself available for feedback (both good and bad) via a standard email address. I don't mind a single pop-up after about a week asking if I enjoy the app or asking me to rate the app, but if I'm hounded, I'll uninstall the app and vehemently let it be known that the app's developer(s) opt to harass customers with irritating pop-ups which in turn diminish the user experience.

Thanks for your comment. As member of a developer team, your opinion is of great value.
We've offered an email address, a Facebook page and a twitter account for our users to contact us and say anything ( bugs, ideas, dissatisfactions, suggestions, anything) about the app.
The reason I posted the thread is to see how we can interact with our users in a more convenient way. Thanks for your reply ^_^

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Email. Easier to send crash logs and relevant information. Dealing in real time isn't an option for most devs anyway.

Thanks for your reply, that's useful.
So it seems many users do not want to interact with developers. But sometimes we may want to give away some iTunes gift cards or something for promotional purposes, it will be better if we can communicate with them in real time ^_^

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, that's useful.
So it seems many users do not want to interact with developers. But sometimes we may want to give away some iTunes gift cards or something for promotional purposes, it will be better if we can communicate with them in real time ^_^

For things like that I would recommend twitter. I guess I should have mentioned that, I interact with devs heavily on twitter and through email. iTunes codes through private direct message too

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
For things like that I would recommend twitter. I guess I should have mentioned that, I interact with devs heavily on twitter and through email. iTunes codes through private direct message too

Thanks~hopefully our users could like to interact with us on twitter. Currently there're only a few followers. Maybe we haven't promoted our twitter account enough~

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Personal device is iMessage or plain text. Work device is BlackBerry Q10 on BES so use BBM all day at work. Never use BBM on my iPhone cause none of my friends do and have heard it's not real stable.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Last edited:

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Personal device is iMessage or plain text. Work device is BlackBerry Q10 on BES so use BBM all day at work. Never use BBM on my iPhone cause none of my friends do and have heard it's now real stable.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Thanks for your reply. Guess everywhere is the same, we use what our contacts use ^_^

Zug3349

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Either by email or by the app itself.

After some intensive testing though out this weekend I can conclude that the best IM app for me is...the one I forgot to mention in my list: Hangouts.
So, I am going to delete some of those and I am going to keep: Hangouts, Telegram, Threema, Line, WeChat, Viber.

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Either by email or by the app itself.

After some intensive testing though out this weekend I can conclude that the best IM app for me is...the one I forgot to mention in my list: Hangouts.
So, I am going to delete some of those and I am going to keep: Hangouts, Telegram, Threema, Line, WeChat, Viber.

Seems WeChat is really popular in the US. In my country, where WeChat is based, it is almost a must-have app on smartphones.
Just wondering, do you think it'd be a good idea if we include WeChat as a way to contact an app's developer?

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I use iMessage.

I have to admit iMessage is really convenient for iPhone users. Personally I like it a lot.
But as a way to communicate with app developers, iMessage may not be a good idea>_<

PowerGuard (security, privacy and so much more) for iOS 7

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
LINE (ALways)
whatsapp (Always)
Skype (Rarely)
Imessege ( Rarely, Only for Imore Forum User)

I thought line was only popular in Asia.
It's amazing to know so much more about other countries. Guess the Internet is indeed a good thing.

PowerGuard (security, privacy and so much more)