Where to Buy iPhone 3G?

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hello all, I'm finally out of my Verizon contract and I've decided to make the jump to At&t for the iPhone. I've been reading up on the phone and whatnot and have seen you guys talk about buying them at the At&t, Apple, or even Best Buy store. I've seen different arguments for each side but I would really like a definitive answer so I make the right choice to begin with.

My question is, if I'm starting a new plan with At&t and want to get an iPhone, where is the best place to go in order to make the purchase? Are there any advantages such as insurance or replacement guarantees that I should be aware of?

Any help of how to make my conversion to the dark side as easy as possible would be great:D

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Plain and simple... a Apple store. They are the most helpful out of your available options. By far.

Thanks for the response, but I must ask this completely ignorant question:

Will they be able to handle my porting and plan set up, etc?

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
In my experience there is absolutely no reason to pick either the Apple Store or AT&T (I did not try Best Buy). I bought my first phone at the Apple Store and they were most unhelpful with the rates and plans from AT&T. They actually had to look up the plans on AT&T's website using one of the Mac in the store (since they were sure I could return it after 14 days). Since I wasn't switching (I did the trial period first), I didn't have the experience of porting my number.

Four days later, I showed up at the AT&T store to port my number and move my partner's phone over to AT&T also. Not so smooth there. They don't know anything about the phone but the process of porting my number and signing up was fairly smooth.

Long and the short is it really does matter. They are both selling the same exact product and there are no deals to be had that the other does have also. There is no competition between them at all. As far as I know, same goes for Best Buy.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thanks for the response, but I must ask this completely ignorant question:

Will they be able to handle my porting and plan set up, etc?

Of course. Go in there, tell them what you want and they will take care of it and have you out the door in minutes. No other store will be more helpful. In my opinion.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In my experience there is absolutely no reason to pick either the Apple Store or AT&T (I did not try Best Buy). I bought my first phone at the Apple Store and they were most unhelpful with the rates and plans from AT&T. They actually had to look up the plans on AT&T's website using one of the Mac in the store (since they were sure I could return it after 14 days). Since I wasn't switching (I did the trial period first), I didn't have the experience of porting my number.

Four days later, I showed up at the AT&T store to port my number and move my partner's phone over to AT&T also. Not so smooth there. They don't know anything about the phone but the process of porting my number and signing up was fairly smooth.

Long and the short is it really does matter. They are both selling the same exact product and there are no deals to be had that the other does have also. There is no competition between them at all. As far as I know, same goes for Best Buy.

You had bad luck at a Apple store then. Trust me. I have 4 stores all within a half hour of me. Very helpful people. But if you noticed I did tell the OP to make sure you know what you want...

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have in mind the plan and features and whatnot that I want, I've just heard things about Apple stores having different replacement options than At&t stores. Something about the white box for one and the original for another?

All in all, I just want the quickest experience. Is the Apple store able to do the number port? Or would I have to stop by an At&t store for that?

(once again, thanks for the help:p)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have in mind the plan and features and whatnot that I want, I've just heard things about Apple stores having different replacement options than At&t stores. Something about the white box for one and the original for another?

All in all, I just want the quickest experience. Is the Apple store able to do the number port? Or would I have to stop by an At&t store for that?

(once again, thanks for the help:p)

After 2 weeks if you have to return the phone chances are you will get a refurb [White Box]. And if you have a issue from a At&t store they will send you to a Apple store if I am not mistaken. Yes Apple stores will port your number. It's a painless process, trust me. I know what I am talking about. ;)

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
After 2 weeks if you have to return the phone chances are you will get a refurb [White Box]. And if you have a issue from a At&t store they will send you to a Apple store if I am not mistaken. Yes Apple stores will port your number. It's a painless process, trust me. I know what I am talking about. ;)

Sounds good :)

This will be my first solo phone purchase so I'm trying to make sure its as easy as possible. Apple store it is! Thanks guys. I'll be keeping you guys busy over the coming weeks with my questions so be ready;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sounds good :)

This will be my first solo phone purchase so I'm trying to make sure its as easy as possible. Apple store it is! Thanks guys. I'll be keeping you guys busy over the coming weeks with my questions so be ready;)

Sounds good! Good luck! :D

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
You had bad luck at a Apple store then. Trust me. I have 4 stores all within a half hour of me. Very helpful people. But if you noticed I did tell the OP to make sure you know what you want...

It must be my Apple store or me. Couple days later I went into purchase a case and protective sleeve and could not find anyone of their Geniuses to help put on the sleeve (which I was told they are very adept at doing).

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
It must be my Apple store or me. Couple days later I went into purchase a case and protective sleeve and could not find anyone of their Geniuses to help put on the sleeve (which I was told they are very adept at doing).

Weird. My local Apple store is awesome. They have great CS there, and are very efficient at what they do. I picked up my iPhone there and had no problems, was out in about 5 minutes. They also put my screen protecter on for me.