Where is text forwarding?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
where is text forwarding?

I have an iphone 6 plus now running iOS 8.1

Apparently you're supposed to go to settings>messages>messages forwarding and then turn it on and select compatible devices.

when I go to messages, I don't see a message forwarding option. what's the deal here?

similarly how do I get continuity to work?

Thanks!

fayeav

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: where is text forwarding?

Try to restart every device you have. That worked for me! I also didn't see the option at first. I have iPhone 5 thought!

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Hey fayeav, I tried restarting my iPad, (3rd generation) and there's no text forwarding on there and I don't get a code. I have text forwarding on my iPhone 6 and tried to activate it but I don't get no code on my iPad. What now??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I got the code on my iPad but when actually trying the feature I continued to get a failed message.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

To enable "Text Message Forwarding", both (all) devices must be signed into the same iCloud account and connected to the same WiFi network. You set the SMS Message Forwarding from your iPhone:

1. Make sure both (all) devices are signed into the same iCloud account
2. Make sure both (all) devices are on the same WiFi network
3. Make sure both (all) devices have the iCloud account (email address) checked (active) in the Send & Receive setting
4. Go to Settings > Messages
5. Tap Text Message Forwarding
6. Turn on forwarding for the computers/tablets that you want to use
7. Each computer/tablet will get a popup with a 6 digit code
8. Enter that code on your iPhone to activate the Text Message Forwarding on that computer/tablet

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

This is by far my favorite feature. Having iMessage on my Mac was/is great but now not having to continually flip back and forth between my iPhone and Mac while doing school work (or any other work for that matter) is awesome.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Thanks HankAZ, I followed your steps and it worked perfectly, thank you so much

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

One other question, once you have text forwarding setup, do you have to keep both your iPhone and iPad on Wi-Fi or can I turn off Wi-Fi on my iPhone and stay on Wi-Fi on my iPad for it to work???

fayeav

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site

Both need to be on the same wifi and the same icloud account and the imessage need to have your phone number also! :)

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

okay so I'm guessing based on reading this thread, that the option isn't appearing because my comuter and phone aren't both on the same icloud. thats a possibility. unfortunately my computers settings app freezes and goes spinning beach ball everytime i click the icloud button to check on that.

not sure what to do about that. maybe I'll try rebooting in a bit or tomorrow and see what happens then.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

did a reboot and made sure both devices were on the same iCloud and the problem is solved. thanks. now how do I get handoff and continuity working?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I installed Yosemite on my Mac and iOS 8 on my iPhone and iPad last night. In the short time I've been using the new systems, text forwarding is my favorite new feature. Last night I was watching the World Series and doing work on my Mac. Several text messages came through and I was able to answer them from my computer. As long as some of my family and friends use devices other than iPhones, text forwarding will be invaluable.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR