Where do we go from here?

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been around the smartphone industry since the early days and have seen many changes in the industry. Blackberry who was once the dominant manufacturer in the industry and everyone had one and the Crackberry craze had begun.

Now we have just two dominant operating systems, Android and IOS and we all know the Blackberry story. I have seen a lot of changes and has me wondering where do we go from here?

The smartphone industry has actually been saturated the past couple of years and global sales are actually down in 2019.

Apple still sold a ton of iPhones and made wheelbarrows of cash and has more cash reserves then some countries do. Android is still the dominant OS with IOS in close second.

What’s next for this industry I have come to love. I have been a device junkie since buying my first Blackberry way back when. I have played with Blackberry OS, OS10, Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Android and IOS.

It was fun back then because then because I felt there was always something new and exciting coming around the corner and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the latest device.

Do some of you folks who have been around like myself feel the same way? Now it seems like the only magical thing we expect is changes in the current operating system and some minor hardware upgrades.

I miss the early days of flashing the latest Blackberry OS leak or a cool Android ROM some developer had posted on the Android OS forums. Just thought I would see what folks out there think we are headed from here????

I think there is still plenty of innovation happening. Th eproblem, is our smartphones already do so much, we are not as excited about the upcoming innovations. These innovations include:
Hardware:
folded phones
5G wireless, especially sub-MM bands
ultra-wideband
later 6G
Software
Augmented reality
Virtual reality
better virtual assistants

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think there is still plenty of innovation happening. Th eproblem, is our smartphones already do so much, we are not as excited about the upcoming innovations. These innovations include:
Hardware:
folded phones
ultra-wideband
later 6G
Software
Augmented reality
Virtual reality

I appreciate your opinion and you make valid points. I was just in a meeting with my husband and our financial advisor, and they both are gently nudging me to get rid of my Apple Stock. I don't want to. It's not a lot, yet it's nice to have. They both felt that there's not much more for Apple to do, but I disagree. I just couldn't articulate exactly why.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
For the first time since 2001 I haven’t bought a new phone. I’ve got my iPhone XS Max and I’m happy.

I miss the days of new and exciting phones. When I think of the money I spent on every new latest and greatest from every OS I shudder. I remember having several BlackBerry devices running concurrently on multiple lines. It was an obsession.

I’ve moved on. The phone is central to what I do every day but I no longer feel the need to buy the latest and greatest. Still have three lines. One Samsung SGS7 that I don’t even use, an iPhone X on another line, and my iPhone XS Max.

The money I save goes to adulting types of things. Home restoration. Paying off car loans. I hardly even come here except once in a while when there’s a news story relating to devices.

It was bound to happen.

Good points, I think back and look at the money I have spent chasing technology, but it’s been a fun ride and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Now that I am pretty much retired and on a fixed income. The term “Value Added” comes into play when buying any new devices in the future.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hardware:
folded phones
ultra-wideband
later 6G
Software
Augmented reality
Virtual reality

As far as the future hardware and software innovations you point out, at my age, the only one I am interested in would be faster network speeds. As far as the VR technology, it is not something I am interested in.

What’s scares me for future smartphone sales is the young folks can’t afford 1000 dollar smartphones and are hanging on to their old ones and are only upgrading when they are forced to because the OS and/or hardware is no longer supported.

It may be just me being cautious here, but I have talked to several folks in the tech industry who feel as cautious as I do, time will tell.

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am guessing that the next iPhone will have an LPTO display, like Apple Watch 5...

That would be cool, but I think whatever they come out with in the future is going to have to be “value added”.

Most folks I have talked to are not as quick to go out and spend a 1000 dollars or more on a new product for a processor and camera upgrade.

Global smartphone sales have actually been on the decline. It should be interesting to see what happens the next couple of years.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That would be cool, but I think whatever they come out with in the future is going to have to be “value added”.

Most folks I have talked to are not as quick to go out and spend a 1000 dollars or more on a new product for a processor and camera upgrade.

Global smartphone sales have actually been on the decline. It should be interesting to see what happens the next couple of years.

Eh, I traded in my old iPhone and got a good discount from Apple.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm really digging what Apple is doing with health features. I'm looking forward to more features to be added to Apple Watch with a robust look at the data in the health app.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Right now I'm really digging what Apple is doing with health features. I'm looking forward to more features to be added to Apple Watch with a robust look at the data in the health app.

I am also excited about the health features and the Apple Watch now that I am a heart patient.

PS: Glad to see you posting on the iMore forums, I remember when you where an ambassador on the CB forums and I always enjoyed reading your post.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro