When Will Photos Optimize Storage?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently took a couple of gigs of video on my iPhone 5s, and I was wondering when the phone would optimize the storage? Everything has already uploaded to iCloud, but it is all still sitting on my phone too. Will it wait until I am nearly out of space before deleting the local copies? Is there a way to force it to delete the local copies without losing the iCloud files?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know either. I don't use iCloud Photo Library. It's too confusing. I prefer using Box, Dropbox and OneDrive for all my photos, and videos. Hopefully someone will come along with answers.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How much total storage vs how much available on your 5s?

There's a write-up here on iMore that you can find here:

How to save space on your Mac with 'optimized storage' and iCloud Photo Library | iMore

In essence, based on the article, iOS / iCloud will manage the storage for you. It may not work immediately as it's likely you'll want to view the photos, watch the videos, etc. As time goes on or as storage needs arise, it will manage the space in the background. I would imagine with a 64GB phone with more than half available it would leave full res on the phone, while a 16GB with 2GB full may upload quicker.

If you'd like there's another guide here:

How to use iCloud Photo Library: The ultimate guide | iMore

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods