When does an iOS device upload photos to my iCloud photo library?

bmodi

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
When does an IOS device upload photos to icloud photo library

Does someone know the rules when an IOS device uploads photos to the icloud photo library? Is there an official definition somewhere published?

With the old photo stream it was clearly defined when photos got uploaded:
- more than 20% battery
- WIFI connected
- camera app closed

.....then automatically all new photos got uploaded. One did not have to do anything.

However with the icloud photo library this is different and absolutely not clear for me how it works. To get new pictures uploaded i mostly have to open the fotos app.
And if i have several new photos the most time it does only upload them as long as the fotos app is running and my iphone is not in standby.

However sometimes it is uploading new photos without having the fotos app open.

But the most time it only uploads them as long as the fotos app is running and my iphone is NOT in standby. Of course this is not a very comfortable solution...i mean if i have 50 new photos this can take long to upload them....and i cannot always stay with my iphone just to make sure that it does not go into standby mode......

But then....charging it it uploaded over night 150 photos without having fotos app open...the next day it did not upload another 70 photos while charging my iphone....

So my question ist -> when does an IOS device upload new photos to the icloud photo library? Are there official "rules" from Apple when photos should get uploaded?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: When does an IOS device upload photos to icloud photo library

When do photos and videos upload to iCloud Photo Library?
When you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your devices, your photos and videos will begin to upload after you connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi. You can see the status on the Photos tab and pause upload for one day from Settings > iCloud > Photos.
Depending on your Internet connection speed, the time it takes for your photos and videos to appear on all of your devices might vary.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

bmodi

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

oh come on. This is clear. Sorry, maybe i did not make myself clear enough. I know how the icloud photo library works.

But it is not clear for me exactly when an IOS device does the upload. Like my example for the "old" photostream -> here it is absolutely clear when the upload happens, always the same.

But as i wrote above, it is not clear for me, exactly when the upload to the icloud photo library starts, why it does not start very often, why it starts sometimes without haveing the fotos app open, sometimes you have to open it and then it starts........

This is what i'm asking for.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

oh come on. This is clear. Sorry, maybe i did not make myself clear enough. I know how the icloud photo library works.

But it is not clear for me exactly when an IOS device does the upload. Like my example for the "old" photostream -> here it is absolutely clear when the upload happens, always the same.

But as i wrote above, it is not clear for me, exactly when the upload to the icloud photo library starts, why it does not start very often, why it starts sometimes without haveing the fotos app open, sometimes you have to open it and then it starts........

This is what i'm asking for.

The question posed was crystal clear. I just gave you the answer given by Apple. I have no idea of the "specific" time or times photos and videos upload to the iCloud Photo Library. Sorry.

bmodi

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. The problem is, that in this case the behavior is not just that clear like Apple has written it......

Maybe someone else has more information?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice