• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

What's the padlock icon about?

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

The other day while sitting in Starbucks working on my iPod touch 4 (v. 5.0.1) I noticed that at the top of the screen, in place of the usual time of day, there was a white padlock icon, as if some sort of lock or security function was active. I don't ever recall seeing such an icon at that screen location before; I wasn't in an app that required a password to use, and though I was logged in to the wifi I wasn't doing anything online (including mailing or downloading). The icon stayed on the screen even when I got in my vehicle in the parking lot. It eventually went away & was replaced by the time again. Any ideas?

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to the orientation lock? I certainly didn't knowingly engage it, and I can't see how I even accidentally tripped it. Besides, at some point it reverted to the clock, and I never even accessed the orientation lock feature at all.

I just engaged the orientation lock: it showed an indicator in the form of a padlock with a curving arrow around it to the right of the time, and to the left of the battery, bluetooth icons in the upper right-hand corner. Not at all the same thing as the simple centered padlock symbol. Haven't seen it since then, either.

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
No. I am referring to the phone lock, not rotation lock.

Hit the button on the top of your phone to turn off the display/lock the phone. Then hit either that button again or the home button to wake up the display.

It shows the padlock on top where the time usually is, which lets you know the phone is locked.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
BTW this icon is the same one that shows up on my lock screen when I wake up the device. The difference is that it randomly appeared on the home screen. A random fluke, I guess.

xtremez

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Just double tap the home button and swipe right till you see the music player and volume, the icon beside it, click it!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just double tap the home button and swipe right till you see the music player and volume, the icon beside it, click it!

That's orientation lock. This is just the lock button on the top of the device we're talking about.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman