What would you do (front door and garage door wide open)?

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
You notice your neighbours garage door open, front door, wide open, and no cars in sight. No car in the driveway, or in the nearby parking spots. Been that way for ages (a few hours or so).

I already took action.

The real question here is, "What would you do, or not do, as the case maybe?"

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Update:

At my neighbours house, it used to be a Mum, her daughter, and her daughter husband. A few weeks ago, the daughter and husband moved out.

Anyway, a bit of Googling and I found the daughters details online, and I phoned her.

I explained that the garage door and front door are literally wide open, and no cars and such are in the driveway or in the car parking spots (actually been like this all night and all day yesterday). Oddly, she made me feel like I wasted my time contacting her, and showing any concern for her Mum.

I did explain that I was merely making sure her Mum was okay, since the doors were opened and no cars around. Anyway, short version, I will not do that again.

She made me feel like a right pillock.

Apparently, the doors were left open, to air out the painting that had been done.
So, there's that...

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on context.

If I don’t know the person, or I would have any doubts for their safety, I would call applicable emergency services. It could be a situation where someone is doing an armed robbery, and I wouldn’t put myself at risk.

If I know them (well), I would reach out by phone to check what’s going on. It could be as simple as to vent the premises from toxic gases, etc.

One thing I wouldn’t do is to go there physically, because I do not know what is going on and I don’t want to hurt myself.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think you did the right thing. I’m not sure why the daughter acted the way she did, she should have been appreciative of your concern.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree that you did the right thing, and shame on her daughter for her rude/apathetic response. Clearly, the behavior was out of the norm, and I can understand why you were concerned. If it had been me, I think I would have done what you did, or, call the local police, and ask them to do a wellness check.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner