What would the iPhone #3 need?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
It seems like there is a new iPhone coming out every year. Now I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly can't afford to upgrade to a new iPhone every year. I spent $300 last year on my phone, and I can't spend that kind of money every year. So I was curious, what kind of features would be needed in a new iPhone for me to upgrade?

Presumably many software features would be able to be implemented in the iPhone 3G (cut and paste, push notification, etc) so it would need to be hardware features. And some have been bandied around here (better camera, HD video, etc) but I am not sure if any of those would convince me to upgrade. Even if it had everything that has been discussed (HD video, more memory, faster processor, better camera, better battery) that might not be enough.

So what would be required for you to shell out another $300 or so for a new iPhone later this year?

Chris

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
In the hardware arena, here are a few things that I would like...a wishlist of sorts...

1. Removable battery. I play with the iPhone constantly and I am always needing to be within reach of a charger. Thankfully I am most of the time!

2. Huge storage upgrade (120 GB would be nice!) without compromising form factor. I know it would be bigger, which I am ok with, but not a brick like my PPC 6700 was. Or, removable storage would also be a nice option.

3. Better camera. Would love to only have this as my digital camera option. I still end up bringing out my other digital camera when I know I am taking a ton of pictures.

4. Physical keyboard. I hesitated putting this on the list due to the fact that I can now type faster on the iPhone's on screen keyboard than I could with my HTC Mogul's physical keyboard. The implementation of this would be a deciding factor as to if it would cause me to upgrade.

5. Others - HD video & louder speaker for music/phone calls.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In the hardware arena, here are a few things that I would like...a wishlist of sorts...

1. Removable battery. I play with the iPhone constantly and I am always needing to be within reach of a charger. Thankfully I am most of the time!

2. Huge storage upgrade (120 GB would be nice!) without compromising form factor. I know it would be bigger, which I am ok with, but not a brick like my PPC 6700 was. Or, removable storage would also be a nice option.

3. Better camera. Would love to only have this as my digital camera option. I still end up bringing out my other digital camera when I know I am taking a ton of pictures.

4. Physical keyboard. I hesitated putting this on the list due to the fact that I can now type faster on the iPhone's on screen keyboard than I could with my HTC Mogul's physical keyboard. The implementation of this would be a deciding factor as to if it would cause me to upgrade.

5. Others - HD video & louder speaker for music/phone calls.

Wow, I never thought I'd disagree so much with you! :p We usually agree with most things!

1. I am not a fan of removable batteries for a few simple reasons. With battery doors after some time the device gets "creaky" - drives me crazy. And you say you want to put 3rd party extra large battery in? Those battery covers are always of lousy quality - Seidio anyone? Get a car charger... :) Look for Apple to improve battery life similar to the new 17" Macbook Pro... The battery will remain non-removable. Well at least I hope.

2. 120 gig? I can see 32... how much are you willing to spend on this device?!

3. Totally agree with you here.

4. All the slide out phones have a cheap feeling to them. That's just me. The G1, Fuze, etc... The iPhone flat out is the most solid mobile device out there today. Mostly due to no keyboard and your first wish of a removable battery. And not to mention how Jobs has been very openly against physical keyboards. Probably will never see it.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow, I never thought I'd disagree so much with you! :p We usually agree with most things!

1. I am not a fan of removable batteries for a few simple reasons. With battery doors after some time the device gets "creaky" - drives me crazy. And you say you want to put 3rd party extra large battery in? Those battery covers are always of lousy quality - Seidio anyone? Get a car charger... :) Look for Apple to improve battery life similar to the new 17" Macbook Pro... The battery will remain non-removable. Well at least I hope.

2. 120 gig? I can see 32... how much are you willing to spend on this device?!

3. Totally agree with you here.

4. All the slide out phones have a cheap feeling to them. That's just me. The G1, Fuze, etc... The iPhone flat out is the most solid mobile device out there today. Mostly due to no keyboard and your first wish of a removable battery. And not to mention how Jobs has been very openly against physical keyboards. Probably will never see it.

You're right...you are mostly agreeable!

1. Removable battery - I see your point. I have never had any of those problems with old WinMo phones. I did have a few Seido batteries, but not the enormous ones that required a custom cover, just ones with more juice but still was OEM size. A friend had one of the large ones and I agree, it was terrible. The battery cover felt cheap. I guess I could use one of those batter packs made by a third party, but I haven't done enough research to pick one.

2. I spend a ton on gadgets...and I usually don't think about it. I buy what I want. ;) I know most people aren't like me in that regard, but I just can't help myself. I think the next iteration will definitely have 32 and maybe even 64, but since I purchased an AppleTV and have converted all of my DVDs to a digital copy, my library is now huge. I am they type of person who likes to have all of his media on him at all times. Just person preference on this one.

3. The lone agreed upon point. Now...what megapixel would you like? I'm thinking 5 MP (like those headsets by Nokia? Can't remember which ones had 5 MP cameras). I'd settle for a ~3 MP one, but would prefer higher.

4. I was hesitant to put this on the list since I mainly agree with your points in the first place. I think that maybe I thinking that if any company out there could implement this to an above average standard, Apple would be it (no offense HTC...). Maybe the keyboard wouldn't be a slider, but maybe an accessory that would connect with the Dock connector. That might be a little jenky, but then again if implemented correctly it might work.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You're right...you are mostly agreeable!

1. Removable battery - I see your point. I have never had any of those problems with old WinMo phones. I did have a few Seido batteries, but not the enormous ones that required a custom cover, just ones with more juice but still was OEM size. A friend had one of the large ones and I agree, it was terrible. The battery cover felt cheap. I guess I could use one of those batter packs made by a third party, but I haven't done enough research to pick one.

2. I spend a ton on gadgets...and I usually don't think about it. I buy what I want. ;) I know most people aren't like me in that regard, but I just can't help myself. I think the next iteration will definitely have 32 and maybe even 64, but since I purchased an AppleTV and have converted all of my DVDs to a digital copy, my library is now huge. I am they type of person who likes to have all of his media on him at all times. Just person preference on this one.

3. The lone agreed upon point. Now...what megapixel would you like? I'm thinking 5 MP (like those headsets by Nokia? Can't remember which ones had 5 MP cameras). I'd settle for a ~3 MP one, but would prefer higher.

4. I was hesitant to put this on the list since I mainly agree with your points in the first place. I think that maybe I thinking that if any company out there could implement this to an above average standard, Apple would be it (no offense HTC...). Maybe the keyboard wouldn't be a slider, but maybe an accessory that would connect with the Dock connector. That might be a little jenky, but then again if implemented correctly it might work.

1. I still want to see what Apple does here. I'm almost positive we will see the same type of battery technology used in the MBP. Well it's really not technology I guess, they just changed the shape to fit more.

2. I am the same way. But I would not go out and drop $1000 on a phone. Nor would many people. I'll stick with 32 gig. I never used to fill up my 16 GB just for the simple reason I'd never need all of it but now it is full. Do I ever use everything? Nope. :) Maybe 32 Gig with expandable mem slot?

3. I'd guess 5 would be good. By the time it actually gets released 3.2 should be a thing of last years devices.

4. No KEYBOARD!!! :D

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
And something else I want to add regarding keyboards. Keep in mind this is just my expierience but I can type faster like jamesus, on my iPhone than I can on my Bold. Not to mention one handed use is much easier on the iPhone. Again for me.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I'd like a "Silence All" switch underneath the volume buttons (or perhaps being able to push both volumes simultaneously to silence all). I'd also like to see the ultra-glossy backing (and chrome) eliminated and replaced with the MacBook-like aluminum finish.

Other than that, I don't want removable batteries, hard keyboards, blinking lights, or anything else added to the outside... and I'm happy with the current 8 gigs I never fill. It's a "mobile" device so I don't need 30,000 songs and 20,000 videos when I'm away from home. I can always download anything I need through FTP.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
1. I still want to see what Apple does here. I'm almost positive we will see the same type of battery technology used in the MBP. Well it's really not technology I guess, they just changed the shape to fit more.

2. I am the same way. But I would not go out and drop $1000 on a phone. Nor would many people. I'll stick with 32 gig. I never used to fill up my 16 GB just for the simple reason I'd never need all of it but now it is full. Do I ever use everything? Nope. :) Maybe 32 Gig with expandable mem slot?

3. I'd guess 5 would be good. By the time it actually gets released 3.2 should be a thing of last years devices.

4. No KEYBOARD!!! :D

1. If they can improve the battery life akin to the MBP, I might drop this one...or at least adapt it to "Better battery performance".

2. I think I mentioned removable storage (ie expendable memory slot) in my catchall #5. My 16 gig has been full since July 11th. :)

3. Totally agree.

4. Agree to disagree! :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
1. If they can improve the battery life akin to the MBP, I might drop this one...or at least adapt it to "Better battery performance".

2. I think I mentioned removable storage (ie expendable memory slot) in my catchall #5. My 16 gig has been full since July 11th. :)

3. Totally agree.

4. Agree to disagree! :D

Glad we agree! :p

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I'd like a "Silence All" switch underneath the volume buttons (or perhaps being able to push both volumes simultaneously to silence all).

Doesn't the mute switch already do this? :confused:

It's a "mobile" device so I don't need 30,000 songs and 20,000 videos when I'm away from home. I can always download anything I need through FTP.

I guess my view of a "mobile' device is to have access to everything you need (or maybe want is a better description). For my media, I never know what I would be in the mood for. Since I spend a ton of time on the road for work, it is nice to have a single device to rule them all (insert a picture of Rene's liking with the Eye looking over all of Middle Earth...)

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Well that switch silences the ringer, sms/email tones, and a few others but not everything. I've heard this gripe before as well but it has never bothered me.

The only thing that I can think of that it does not silence is the alarm from the Clock app, which I think is a great thing. Maybe some games override the switch?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The only thing that I can think of that it does not silence is the alarm from the Clock app, which I think is a great thing. Maybe some games override the switch?

Games, music, and maybe something else I am missing. Never bothered me a bit though.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't the mute switch already do this? :confused:

I guess my view of a "mobile' device is to have access to everything you need...)

The ringer switch silences the ringer (and keyboard clicks, and other things)... but not the iTunes app, not the iPod app, not YouTube app, etc. I want to have all my different volumes adjusted and choose to turn everything on and off.

Yes. I'll take as much storage as Apple wants to give me, but I don't want to pay $300 and up for it. If I can get a 64GB iPhone for $199, that's fine with me as long as they don't punish people who don't need it with higher prices.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I'd like a "Silence All" switch underneath the volume buttons (or perhaps being able to push both volumes simultaneously to silence all). I'd also like to see the ultra-glossy backing (and chrome) eliminated and replaced with the MacBook-like aluminum finish.

Other than that, I don't want removable batteries, hard keyboards, blinking lights, or anything else added to the outside... and I'm happy with the current 8 gigs I never fill. It's a "mobile" device so I don't need 30,000 songs and 20,000 videos when I'm away from home. I can always download anything I need through FTP.

There are lots of features that would be nice....but what would be required for you to spend $300 to upgrade? If the next iPhone was basically the iPhone 3G, but with a silence all button, would you upgrade?

I am not asking what features would be nice, but what it will take for you to upgrade your current phone.

:)

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I just want to send a picture to another phone and forward texted that would make me happy! lol I love my iphone

Software, not hardware. :)

If that is implemented, it will probably be possible in the iPhone 3G as well.

Read the first post. :)

Chris

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh