What type of receiver do you have your Apple TV plugged into (if you have one)? Need some help.

Pockr001

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
What type of receiver do you have your Apple TV plugged into?

When the Apple TV is plugged via HDMI into my Receiver, with my Receiever plugged via HDMI into my TV, I get picture, but no sound.

-This is a 4th generation Apple TV without 4K option.

- I get the same result with both a Sony Receiver and a Samsung Receiver.

- I get the same result with both a Sharp TV, and a Sony TV.

- The Apple TV works perfectly with sound when plugged directly into a TV.

I need help getting this to work with a Receiver so I can utilize the Volume buttons for my IPhone remote app (please only comment if you’re willing to help me with this).

If the two receivers I’ve tried just aren’t compatable, I’d like to know which ones you are using?

Pockr001

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I am not sure if the receivers support HDMI 2.0.... I tried searching the manuals for HDMI 2.0 and could not find anything. I’m not sure about the cables, but when I use those to plug my Apple TV directly into my TV, I get sound and everything else.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
We have the same Apple TV, and also had trouble with the HDMI cables. The one we originally used was old and we just could not get it to work (I can't recall if it was a picture with no sound, sound with no picture, or just a loss of both). Once my husband bought new HDMI cables (the one SwitchBeach mentioned) we had no issues whatsoever. Having the correct HDMI cable is a definite must with this Apple TV.

If your TV is newer, that would explain why hooking it up directly would work, so I'm guessing a new HDMI cable would fix the problem. But.... if I remember correctly I believe using the volume keys on your phone for the sound on the TV through the Apple TV only works if the Apple TV is directly hooked up to your regular TV. Don't quote me on that though. There is an Apple support article on this but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

This is the receiver we use: Marantz US | SR5007

Pockr001

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
We have the same Apple TV, and also had trouble with the HDMI cables. The one we originally used was old and we just could not get it to work (I can't recall if it was a picture with no sound, sound with no picture, or just a loss of both). Once my husband bought new HDMI cables (the one SwitchBeach mentioned) we had no issues whatsoever. Having the correct HDMI cable is a definite must with this Apple TV.

If your TV is newer, that would explain why hooking it up directly would work, so I'm guessing a new HDMI cable would fix the problem. But.... if I remember correctly I believe using the volume keys on your phone for the sound on the TV through the Apple TV only works if the Apple TV is directly hooked up to your regular TV. Don't quote me on that though. There is an Apple support article on this but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

This is the receiver we use: Marantz US | SR5007

The support article says that’s volume buttons on the phone work when a receiver is used. I just bought a Receiver with HDMI 2.0, so maybe that will make a difference. If it still doesn’t work when I try it, I will do cables next... but I know the cables work when plugged directly to the TV.

Pockr001

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
The newer HDMI cords are definitely a good suggestion. Did you check the HDMI-CEC settings? Here is the Apple Support Article that I found.

Yes, as stated above, I read the article in regards to this. I checked all settings available to me. I will troubleshoot using the new cables first, and if that doesn’t work I will try the new (to me) HDMI 2.0 Receiver I just bought and see which one (or none, or both) does the trick.

Pockr001

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
HDMI 2.0 cables don’t make a difference. Back to Amazon they go.

I’ll try the HDMI 2.0 Receiver once it gets here. I also found a specific type of receiver that’s supposedly proven to work, so I may get one of those asap once I learn more about it.

Pockr001

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I’m going to do that in a couple days. If they can’t help me, I’m going to buy a soundbar and use that as my audio. I really don’t want to contact NASA about this.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I’m going to do that in a couple days. If they can’t help me, I’m going to buy a soundbar and use that as my audio. I really don’t want to contact NASA about this.

If you get a soundbar, take a look at the Sonos PlayBar. It works with Apple TV.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
No receivers here. All our ATV's are connected via bluetooth to sound bards, some with and some without sub woofers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2