• Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues, please let us know in this thread!

what type of i-phone and service for in and out of US


iMore Question

I live in an area where cell/i-phone service can only be received if you go to the top of a hill near my home. I am also going to Iceland and the UK in the next 2 weeks. I want to be able to communicate with friends and family at home. I received a Samsung i-phone as a gift. I could use US Cellular Service which is the only one that is offered in my area. Do I go with that or get a trac-phone to keep in touch. Am thinking of practicality, 3 week stay abroad, and cost. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!


Feb 20, 2014
By I-phone you probably mean Smartphone?

I would buy a local prepaid SIM card to stay in touch with your family while in Europe.

Roaming is much more expensive.