what steps to do before jailbreaking?

icewater106

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a sprint iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1.3. I know how to semi jailbreak it I watched a video on YouTube that uses redsnow. I would like to know what should I do before jail breaking and what should I do/know after jail breaking it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Be sure you want to jailbreak your device.

2. Understand what jailbreaking is. Jailbreaking is simply a process that allows for full write access on all partitions of the iPhone. During the jailbreak process, afc2 is also installed giving full file system access.

This is beneficial in that it allows you to install apps from sources other than Apple's app store, run tweaks and utilities that will give your device added functionality, and also will allow endless customization to your device.

These processes are completely legal and should not be confused with installing pirated material. Apple has no current method to see who is jailbroken and who is not jailbroken. There is really nothing to fear by jailbreaking your device as all changes are reversible and there is no added security risk whatsoever.

3. Understand the risks involved.
While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

4. Connect your device to your computer and back up its data via iTunes. (More information regarding backing up your data can be found HERE.

5. Please be sure to read the jailbreak FAQs HERE.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
1. Be sure you want to jailbreak your device.

2. Understand what jailbreaking is. Jailbreaking is simply a process that allows for full write access on all partitions of the iPhone. During the jailbreak process, afc2 is also installed giving full file system access.

This is beneficial in that it allows you to install apps from sources other than Apple's app store, run tweaks and utilities that will give your device added functionality, and also will allow endless customization to your device.

These processes are completely legal and should not be confused with installing pirated material. Apple has no current method to see who is jailbroken and who is not jailbroken. There is really nothing to fear by jailbreaking your device as all changes are reversible and there is no added security risk whatsoever.

3. Understand the risks involved.
While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

4. Connect your device to your computer and back up its data via iTunes. (More information regarding backing up your data can be found HERE.

5. Please be sure to read the jailbreak FAQs HERE.

Very good advice D! And if you still have questions, be sure to search in this thread as its probably been asked and answer a few times

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Also, be aware the technique you're looking to use doesn't have a 100% success rate. Don't be discouraged if ti doesn't work properly. You can use the redsn0w boot to get back into normal operation.

icewater106

May 1, 2013
Visit site
my iphone is stuck in downloading jailbreak data? should i try to reset it and start over?
OK so I restored the iPhone and used my back up. I have two ipsw's 6.0.1 and 6.0 which one should I use ?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2