What should I buy?

TheKyPie

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello wonderful people of the internet! (or trolls, you do you I guess)

Anyway I have decided I will be abandoning my 3 year old windows laptop (except for gaming, it still does that good for some reason) in favor of a shiny new (or in this case refurbished) MacBook, I will be using it for:

Streaming video, surfing the web (forums, social media ect.), some light photoshop and video editing (I'm into photoagrahy), school/homework, definitely not torrenting things, playing the odd low graphics indie game/roguelike and possibly setting up a parallel to run linux or windows.

My main deciding factors are portability(I will be taking this to school), battery life(previous reason), RAM/Speed(for paralells, photoshop and games), storage(will probably download lots of stuff, however I could use a SD card, my old laptop or the family NAS for this).

The models I am comparing are:

And

-------------------------------------------------------

rMBP pros (hehe) and cons

Pros:
-Much more powerful than MBA
-8gigs of RAM
-Retina display
-More ports

Cons:
-Less storage than the MBA
-Less Portable
-Less battery
-More expensive

MBA pros and cons

Pros:
-Very portable
-Amazing battery life
-More storage
-Cheaper

Cons:
-Much less powerful than rMBP
-Less RAM
-Worse screen than rMBP

Note: The prices are in CAD, also while the two pictures above are the models I'm considering, if you can find another version for relatively the same price that is better suited, feel free to post them down below, I also want this computer to last for at least 3-4 years.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If you want this to last three-four years then I would get rMBP. Anyway, the cons for this aren't all particularly game changing. TBH, the weight and portability of the rMBP aren't that much worse than the MBA. Also the battery life on both is great, easily ten hours plus. Obviously the MBA has a better battery life but only by about an hour or so.

The rMBP costs more but that is the only real con I can see from my own perspective. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Dr Noon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I suggest windows labtop again. Every body should have a device with windows os. Windows 10 is great os. And microsoft again reinvent os with windows 10. Thats so so so so incredible and great and make u surprised.. I suggest windows labtop. But if u want to choose mac i prefer pro.. Every body prefer pro..

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I suggest windows labtop again. Every body should have a device with windows os. Windows 10 is great os. And microsoft again reinvent os with windows 10. Thats so so so so incredible and great and make u surprised.. I suggest windows labtop. But if u want to choose mac i prefer pro.. Every body prefer pro..

WTF is a "labtop"?

And NO, everyone should not "have a device with windows os". You couldn't run fast enough to dump one of those on me.

And one more time, NO, everyone does NOT prefer pro.

Dr Noon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi dear.
First . That was mistake in typing..

Second and third was my opinion . that almost all of my friends confirm that..
Windows so more better than mac os for laptop i think.
And pro is enough for any game and almost any software ..

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi dear.
First . That was mistake in typing..

Second and third was my opinion . that almost all of my friends confirm that..
Windows so more better than mac os for laptop i think.
And pro is enough for any game and almost any software ..

Well, then, if your friends all agree and confirm your opinion that everyone wants/needs a device with windows os, who am I to argue? (My opinion is still that this is simply not true.)

Yes, the MBP is enough for any game and any software, but not everyone needs/wants that much power. The MBP is overkill for the student who will carry the laptop around campus, use it for things like email, surfing the internet, writing papers for class and watching movies. So I stand my by opinion that not everyone prefers (or even wants) a MBP.

And finally and most importantly, I am NOT your "dear". K?

Dr Noon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
And plz read comparison betwen samsung ative 9 2015 and mai ge 60 and new mac book..
Windows will be faster than mac os .. I have mac book of course.. But i want to change it to windows laptop. Maybe msi ge 60 2pc apache-D
With corei7 4710 , 16gig ram and nvidia gforce gt850m graphic..
I could run Thief in this laptop with windows 10 in full hd mode!!!!!!! This is incredible for 1100 dolar laptop..

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
And plz read comparison betwen samsung ative 9 2015 and mai ge 60 and new mac book..
Windows will be faster than mac os .. I have mac book of course.. But i want to change it to windows laptop. Maybe msi ge 60 2pc apache-D
With corei7 4710 , 16gig ram and nvidia gforce gt850m graphic..
I could run Thief in this laptop with windows 10 in full hd mode!!!!!!! This is incredible for 1100 dolar laptop..

Cool story, bro. Knock yourself out.

Dr Noon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, then, if your friends all agree and confirm your opinion that everyone wants/needs a device with windows os, who am I to argue? (My opinion is still that this is simply not true.)

Yes, the MBP is enough for any game and any software, but not everyone needs/wants that much power. The MBP is overkill for the student who will carry the laptop around campus, use it for things like email, surfing the internet, writing papers for class and watching movies. So I stand my by opinion that not everyone prefers (or even wants) a MBP.

And finally and most importantly, I am NOT your "dear". K?

Hank? Here isnt place for our battle. I gave my opinion. But i apologize .. Be calm.. I dont stand by Anything if you convince me.. Microsoft more powerful in software than apple. I have iphone and mac.. I love apple. But we have to accept this.. Windows will become more and more powerful.. In end , you are my dear friend..

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hank? Here isnt place for our battle. I gave my opinion. But i apologize .. Be calm.. I dont stand by Anything if you convince me.. Microsoft more powerful in software than apple. I have iphone and mac.. I love apple. But we have to accept this.. Windows will become more and more powerful.. In end , you are my dear friend..

If not here, then where? The original post asks which of 2 different Mac laptop configurations would best suit his needs. You come blowing in here telling us how great the windows platform is. You were clearly out of line, and chose this thread to troll. You got called out and now you say this isn't the place? Sorry, dude, it doesn't work that way. And I am not your friend, dear or otherwise.

Moving on. Life's too short.

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the 2014 MacBook Air 11 inch 8gb ram and i7 processor. I'm a student who uses an awful lot of scientific software like matlab, mathematica and simulink. The use of such software is computationally intensive and my MacBook air handles these tasks just fine. However, graphics intensive tasks would definitely be less ideal on the MBA. EG. Lightroom makes my MBA heat up quickly and crashes once in awhile. Whichever one you get, you're not losing out anyways. Cheers!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods