What should Apple do for this years iPhone/iOS?

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I am a recent Apple convert (years of using android drove me to iOS, and haven't looked back since), and I am loving my iPhone, as I am sure you all are.

My question is this: with apples stock falling to major
Lows (for them), what would you like to see them do for the release this year? I would love to see a revamped iOS 10. Allow us to change individual app notification sounds from the device, not iTunes. Open up iOS a bit more, it won't hurt Apple!

What about you guys? Again, I am new here, and am glad to be a part of the Apple family!

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Here are some things I would like Apple to work on (and not necessarily in this order).

1. Add Miracast and Chromecast support.
2. Add RAW image capture to its camera app, and/or allow 3rd party camera apps to use it.
3. When you slide up from the bottom, allow more customization of quick actions (i.e. Allow us to replace a quick action with another option like turning on/off Wifi hotspot, something that can only be done via settings or an app you have to pay for).
4. In its Calendar app, allow us to chose between daily and weekly views.
5. Ability to change the default mapping/GPS app. Apple Maps are ok, but here in Hawaii, it fails miserably. Google and Here Maps are much better. To use them I have to open them directly, thereby negating the benefits of using Siri (which is not nearly as good as Cortana or Google Now).
6. Better contact management. I think this is more of an iCloud thing though. Both Google and Microsoft allow you to find and merge duplicates within their respective web based versions.
7. Wireless (Qi standard) charging.
8. Transition away from the Lightning connector and move to straight USB-C.

All these suggestions are already implemented, or soon to be, on Android and Microsoft devices.

shannonh677

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm also a new iphone user. I love my iphone but I miss having a flashing notification on the front of the phone when I miss a call or text. Just a small blinking light or you could even have the home button change colors when you missed a call/text. I have my phone on my desk on vibrate and I'd like to be able to just glance at my phone to see if I missed a call. I don't like having to pick up my phone and check it constantly to see if I missed something.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
System-wide UI "Night Mode" and "Picture in Picture" for the iPhone 7 at least for the Plus model. Also ability to choose default applications for browsers, maps, etc. Lastly, PLEASE implement an easir way to create and assign ringtones all from the iOS device and not need iTunes.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Here are some things I would like Apple to work on (and not necessarily in this order).

1. Add Miracast and Chromecast support.
2. Add RAW image capture to its camera app, and/or allow 3rd party camera apps to use it.
3. When you slide up from the bottom, allow more customization of quick actions (i.e. Allow us to replace a quick action with another option like turning on/off Wifi hotspot, something that can only be done via settings or an app you have to pay for).
4. In its Calendar app, allow us to chose between daily and weekly views.
5. Ability to change the default mapping/GPS app. Apple Maps are ok, but here in Hawaii, it fails miserably. Google and Here Maps are much better. To use them I have to open them directly, thereby negating the benefits of using Siri (which is not nearly as good as Cortana or Google Now).
6. Better contact management. I think this is more of an iCloud thing though. Both Google and Microsoft allow you to find and merge duplicates within their respective web based versions.
7. Wireless (Qi standard) charging.
8. Transition away from the Lightning connector and move to straight USB-C.

All these suggestions are already implemented, or soon to be, on Android and Microsoft devices.

I like these, but I think I would prefer a real quick charge solution over Qi charging. USB-C fast charge would be enough. That being said, I still don't think they move away from lightning right now, especially considering the mess USB-C's rollout has been.

I agree on setting default apps. Also, deleting Apple Apps, fix the swipe right screen (implement widgets there). Photos needs to recognize objects like cats, dogs, cars, houses, etc to keep pace with Google Photos.

As far as the phone, I know it's early, but I want AMOLED for sure, quick charge, and a fresh design.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I read someone somewhere talking about a light around the home button that would work as a notification light. I think that would be pretty cool. I would like to see some default app settings. I really prefer Chrome and Google Maps. I would also like to be able to put apps wherever I want. I just don't get the automatic grid, no matter how much I enjoy iOS, it just makes no sense.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I like these, but I think I would prefer a real quick charge solution over Qi charging. USB-C fast charge would be enough. That being said, I still don't think they move away from lightning right now, especially considering the mess USB-C's rollout has been.

I agree on setting default apps. Also, deleting Apple Apps, fix the swipe right screen (implement widgets there). Photos needs to recognize objects like cats, dogs, cars, houses, etc to keep pace with Google Photos.

As far as the phone, I know it's early, but I want AMOLED for sure, quick charge, and a fresh design.

Actually, Qi supports quick charge. Microsoft phones support it out of the box.

You have some good ideas too. Especially the last one. I know the look of the iPhone is iconic, but it is old. The problem is with all of those ideas, it makes Apple look like it's following the pack and not leading the pack. When in reality, Apple has always been following the pack.

Based on what I've read, iPhone sales are not improving and in fact, this past year have actually dropped. People who are upgrading to new iPhones are mostly people who already have an iPhone.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Some thoughts:
- New design is probably most important for sales. It might be hard to accept, but smart phones are becoming a pretty mature technology and I don't expect major technical improvements in the iPhone 7 (or any other mobile phone in the next 12 months). Incremental improvements (slightly faster, slightly lighter, slightly bigger screen) are not very interesting any more, so Apple needs to focus on the fashion/design/aesthetic update.

- AMOLED has pros and cons. Better black levels are nice I guess, but unless you use your phone primarily in a very dark room (which you don't), then you won't see a difference, and there are other disadvantages.

- Better battery life is a must. I'm not sure if Apple users realise how far the iPhone 6S has slipped behind even cheap Android competition here. To be fair, reports suggest the 5SE is better. If Apple have a choice between making the phone thinner, or making it fatter with better battery life, I hope they choose the latter.

- USB-C, and an end to the reliance on iTunes (surely competing with Flash as the worst piece of software that's widely used today).

- Add widgets to iOS.

- Keep the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Purple4

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I would love to have a flashing indicator letting me know I missed a call or text like my old Galaxy. Also be able to change the look of my phone with a full packet wall paper for home screen and lock screen with matching dialer and keyboard.

werner6769

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm also a new iphone user. I love my iphone but I miss having a flashing notification on the front of the phone when I miss a call or text. Just a small blinking light or you could even have the home button change colors when you missed a call/text. I have my phone on my desk on vibrate and I'd like to be able to just glance at my phone to see if I missed a call. I don't like having to pick up my phone and check it constantly to see if I missed something.

I believe you can set the flash to act as a notification light. The phone would have to be face down to see it though.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Bluetooth headphones for awhile now. Fine with me if there isn't a headphone jack. Personally a bit of waterproofing would be awesome

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, the whole 1/8" head phone plug going away would be a non-issue if Apple transitioned to standard USB-C. Sure, we would all have to dump our old headphones or buy an adaptor. But both Micrsoft and Android phones are transitioning to USB-C. USB-C would solve several problems for Apple and other OEMs as well for us end-users.

First, it cuts down on manufacturing costs for all OEMS.
Second, it opens up space within the phone for other components, like batteries, RAM, or antenna placement.
Third, it also provides better audio performance. The phone now can provide straight digital signal to the headphones without having to convert to analog in the phone. Apple can still be proprietary by offering a custom Beats Audio line of headphones specifically designed to work with iPhone, iPad and Mac.
Fourth, it still allows Apple to keep its obsession of ever thinner phone designs.
Fifth, It's environmentally friendly. It cuts down on waste for all concerned. Even if you are a straight Apple user. You litterally would need only one cable to charge your Mac, iPad, and iPhone. For people like me (which I believe are in the majority), who have a stake in all three major eco-systems, it cuts back on having to have different cables/chargers.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice