What now for iPhone 6 owners?

live311

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Or the SE, for that matter.

My wife has an iPhone 6 and her sister has an SE. Now that Apple is ending iOS updates for these models, can owners continue to use them? Will they get any security updates for the foreseeable future? If not, will they become unsafe to use? Will they even have any trade-in value?

I have a 6s, so I'm sure I'll be in the same situation when iOS 14 comes out.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You will be able to continue using them but you will get no further updates at all. Eventually it will become obsolete and you'll need to upgrade.

Sorry....nothing lasts forever.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

My wife has an iPhone 6 and her sister has an SE. Now that Apple is ending iOS updates for these models, can owners continue to use them? Will they get any security updates for the foreseeable future? If not, will they become unsafe to use? Will they even have any trade-in value?

Apples website is saying the SE will get iOS 13.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To answer the thread question, your spouse can continue using her iPhone 6. Nothing has changed and iOS 13 has not been officially released as a finished product. Later in the fall when iOS 13 is officially released, your wife will be unable to upgrade her iPhone 6 with it, but she will still be able to use it. If she wants to have iOS 13, she will need a newer model iPhone.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My sister used her 4s long after it was eligible for updates. She gradually started having issues with Apps functioning properly because they were no longer able to be updated. Between that and poor battery life, she finally upgraded to a 7. She had gotten so used to her 4s running slowly that she was completely blown away by her new phone. So your wife can hang in there a bit longer with her 6 running iOS 12.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My sister used her 4s long after it was eligible for updates. She gradually started having issues with Apps functioning properly because they were no longer able to be updated. Between that and poor battery life, she finally upgraded to a 7. She had gotten so used to her 4s running slowly that she was completely blown away by her new phone. So your wife can hang in there a bit longer with her 6 running iOS 12.

Yes just because a device is not upgrade supported or security supported as in the case of a Windows laptop you can still use them but will start to lose services as time goes by

My Mom and Dad still use iPhone 4 and 4s devices but are no longer able to access the App Store as most to all the Apps don’t run on them

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

The SE is getting IOS 13. And it has been nearly 5 years, they wont support the devices forever. Time to upgrade.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
My daughter is bummed that her iPhone 6 won't get dark mode like her brother's iPhone 7. I told her get over it you're 8yo, the phone still works, and it's paid for so be grateful and stop complaining because you could have no phone at all.

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
According to this article on iMore’s blog, the iPhone SE will be able to run iOS 13, so your wife’s sister should still be all right with hers.
https://www.imore.com/which-devices-are-compatible-ios-13

Is the SE newer than the 6? Teen had the SE til it dropped dead and we bought a 6 off an older church member for $50 like a new phone. Is it really important for her to have iOS 13? I’m thinking she might keep rocking it until she buys her next and I’m wondering depending on when it is it might need to be an 8 v. 7.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Is the SE newer than the 6? Teen had the SE til it dropped dead and we bought a 6 off an older church member for $50 like a new phone. Is it really important for her to have iOS 13? I’m thinking she might keep rocking it until she buys her next and I’m wondering depending on when it is it might need to be an 8 v. 7.

The SE came out after the 6s and has the same processor as the 6s

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is bummed that her iPhone 6 won't get dark mode like her brother's iPhone 7. I told her get over it you're 8yo, the phone still works, and it's paid for so be grateful and stop complaining because you could have no phone at all.

No kidding because mine got a phone at 12, an SE a handmedown and it dropped dead so she got a 6 for $50 from an older church member and it looks like new and I replaced the battery! Next one she buys!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Live with it,iPhone 6 users ! most updates make little difference in functionality, your phone will do what you are used to, albeit more slowly, use your phone till it dies !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Drive it til it dies! I’m driving a 2008 Subaru. It’s working just fine, but I am longing for a newer model that would work better with my iPhone. But there is no way I can justify buying a new car for that reason only! LOL.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm with the others. You can continue to use those phones. The lack of updates won't affect you being able to use them, unless apps don't support that version anymore which is unlikely for the bigger apps out there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal