What new phone to pick....

Luke18

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello all, new to the forums! Little back story, have had nothing but iPhone since the 3G and I currently own a iPhone 6+, beside my battery basically shot.....it doesn’t hold a charge worth much at all. It’s been perfect.....I’m looking to upgrade soon and am between 2 phones....

First one is the iPhone X, what can I say, it’s an iPhone and I’m sure I wouldn’t be going wrong with it. Only thing I’m worried about is granted the screen is a little taller then my plus, the width is smaller....for people that have an iPhone X that came from a plus size, is it noticable?

My next phone is....I hate to say(LOL) it is an android phone....the Samsung Note 8! I could careless about the customization end of it, but really digging what a powerhouse it is and what it can do including the s-pen! What I really like is the multi-task/split screen things it can do.

The other thing I’m batteling, is my family and all my close friends have iPhones....will it be more of a pain to switch if all of them have iPhones!

For anyone with both phones, or anyone with some good advice, what is my best option?? I’m really looking for guidance.....thanks!

Luke

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, Luke! It’s really hard to say which phone is a better choice because they’re both great. It’s not a matter of which phone is better, rather which one is better for you. Coming from an iPhone 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus, the iPhone X screen definitely feels smaller to me. Shockingly I’m not bothered by it though. It’s a ridiculously powerful phone that gives the Note 8 a run for its money and likely surpasses it from a performance standpoint. A few things to consider:

- I’ve been around this forum for a long time and can tell you without a doubt that most people who decide to “try” another platform end up coming back because they aren’t happy. The same often goes for Android users who try out iOS though.
- You will absolutely miss iMessage, not because it’s all that amazing but because you have friends and family with iPhones.
- The S Pen is just a stylus. You can easily find a third party stylus for your iPhone, although it won’t fit conveniently inside of the device.
- As this is an Apple-centric community you’re going to get way more users recommending iPhone regardless of whether or not it’s truly the best choice for you.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Luke18

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, Luke! It’s really hard to say which phone is a better choice because they’re both great. It’s not a matter
of which phone is better, rather which one is better for you. Coming from an iPhone 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus, the iPhone X screen definitely feels smaller to me. Shockingly I’m not bothered by it though. It’s a ridiculously powerful phone that gives the Note 8 a run for its money and likely surpasses it from a performance standpoint. A few things to consider:

- I’ve been around this forum for a long time and can tell you without a doubt that most people who decide to “try” another platform end up coming back because they aren’t happy. The same often goes for Android users who try out iOS though.
- You will absolutely miss iMessage, not because it’s all that amazing but because you have friends and family with iPhones.
- The S Pen is just a stylus. You can easily find a third party stylus for your iPhone, although it won’t fit conveniently inside of the device.
- As this is an Apple-centric community you’re going to get way more users recommending iPhone regardless of whether or not it’s truly the best choice for you.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Thank you so much for the advice! That’s the thing that sucks I think, I use my iPad split screen a lot and just wish it was on the iPhone....but on the other end of the spectrum, it has t been available and until I realized the NOTE 8 had multi tasking I didn’t even think about switching! Just wish and hope in the near future Apple incorporates true multitasking/split screen in the phones!

Also wanted to ask, coming from the older phones and now too the X.....and thoughts of, this was a mistake? Pros and cons of the X in your opinion?

Luke

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey there Luke! Welcome to iMore. I upgraded to the X from a Plus, and it is noticeable taller. It does take some time to get used to it, but I’m very satisfied with it. However, a lot of consumers do prefer the wider screen of the Plus. As for which phone you should pick, I would recommend taking your time and trying out both of these devices in stores and see which one feels ‘right’. It also comes down to iOS or Android. I don’t think you can go wrong with either choices, they’re both fantastic phones.

Please keep us updated, and good luck!!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
As you’ve read, both devices are great. I personally prefer iOS and have always used a Plus size. The X took me no time to get used to. The width never really bothered me either. I like having nearly the same screen real estate in much easier to handle size. For the best answers on the Note 8, I would recommend starting a thread over on Android Central in the Note 8 section. It’s really just a preference.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for the advice! That’s the thing that sucks I think, I use my iPad split screen a lot and just wish it was on the iPhone....but on the other end of the spectrum, it has t been available and until I realized the NOTE 8 had multi tasking I didn’t even think about switching! Just wish and hope in the near future Apple incorporates true multitasking/split screen in the phones!

Also wanted to ask, coming from the older phones and now too the X.....and thoughts of, this was a mistake? Pros and cons of the X in your opinion?

Luke

Pros:

- Large screen in a smaller form factor
- Face ID
- Gestures based navigation
- OLED + True Tone
- An all screen iPhone
- Dual cameras + OIS
- Wireless charging

Cons:

- Taller screen due to the new aspect ratio

I’ve never been this happy nor satisfied with an iPhone before. It truly is the best iPhone for now IMO.

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello all, new to the forums! Little back story, have had nothing but iPhone since the 3G and I currently own a iPhone 6+, beside my battery basically shot.....it doesn’t hold a charge worth much at all. It’s been perfect.....I’m looking to upgrade soon and am between 2 phones....

First one is the iPhone X, what can I say, it’s an iPhone and I’m sure I wouldn’t be going wrong with it. Only thing I’m worried about is granted the screen is a little taller then my plus, the width is smaller....for people that have an iPhone X that came from a plus size, is it noticable?

My next phone is....I hate to say(LOL) it is an android phone....the Samsung Note 8! I could careless about the customization end of it, but really digging what a powerhouse it is and what it can do including the s-pen! What I really like is the multi-task/split screen things it can do.

The other thing I’m batteling, is my family and all my close friends have iPhones....will it be more of a pain to switch if all of them have iPhones!

For anyone with both phones, or anyone with some good advice, what is my best option?? I’m really looking for guidance.....thanks!

Luke

I have a note 8 and iPhone 7. What I can tell you about the note is that it is a beast of a phone. Hardware is top notch, software runs smooth and it has more features then one could possibly use. If you were going to go android I would highly recommend the note 8. There are many people in the Android forums who have iPad and macs but use android phones. The biggest negative is you don’t get the the iCloud sync across the android platform and iMessage/FaceTime. But really you can just text people they will see the green bubble in their iMessage instead of the blue bubble. To replace FaceTime you can use duo, skype, Facebook messenger, whatsapp etc... as long as your family members download one of those apps.

I don’t have any experience with the iPhone X but it seems many people love it. As others have said try them out in the store and most places allow a 14 day return period if you buy but end up not liking the phone. Whichever you choose I would say be patient and open minded to the change because both will require you to learn new things (especially the note 8). Good luck! Buying a new phone is always exciting!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I honestly love my iPhone X. It’s not only the best iPhone Apple has ever made but the best device they’ve ever made, period. It’s powerful, beautifully made, and the camera technology is ridiculously good. I thought I would miss the home button but I don’t. Is it perfect? No, but nothing is perfect. Face ID is really cool overall but I don’t find it quite as convenient as Touch ID. I’ve accepted the notch but I also still wish it wasn’t there.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
My 2 cents here.

I have the Note 8 and a 8 plus. I’m more of an Android guy, but I’ll keep it limited to regular usage observations only.

Both the phone are fast and smooth and generally don’t have issues with daily usage.

Things that I like better about Note 8
1. S-Pen. That piece of tech is very useful. When normal touch and hold functionality isn’t available, the S-Pen comes to the fore. I use it a lot daily. Takes the Note series leagues above any other phone with that.

2. Multitasking. That’s common to Android as well. More apps are left in their state and makes it easier to start off from where I left it. I don’t have to think twice of leaving a form filled halfway and come back later on to see it as the same stage, whereas in iOS, the page refreshes when I go back to it.

3. Multiwindow - Very useful when I have to use info from 2 windows .

4. Smart dialing. It’s never been there in iOS and I can’t understand why Apple cant implement it. One step processes become multi step in iOS.

5. Google Assistant- Just makes things so easy. If there’s some information to lookup, long press to bring up GA, it reads the screen and gives suggestions.

6. Fast charging out of the box.

7. Downloads are faster on the Note 8. Even sending pics and videos through WhatsApp etc are faster on Note 8. Not sure why this is so.

8. Always on display and Notification LED. Very useful when I don’t use my gear S2.

9. Samsung Pay. Works at most places where credit cards are taken. Uses MST tech and hence isn’t restricted in usage. Plus you get Samsung rewards which you can encash or get something else with. I’ve gotten $100 through that so far. And they always have promotions to get easy points to reach the target.

Things I like better about iPhone 8 plus

1. Battery life is better than Note 8. If I start my day at 5 am and end it at 11 pm, the Note 8 would be at 5% whereas 8+ would be at 15%

2. 3D touch. Nothing in Android matches this. I use it regularly and though Android has tap and hold, it’s implementation is better in iPhone

3. Taptic feedback - The best I’ve experienced since the demise of Nokia.

4. Dual Speakers- Way better than Note 8s tinny speaker. I hated listening to music on the Note 8.

5. Synching with Mac and iPad- I don’t use it, but I’ve seen it in work and there’s no Android equivalent for this.

At the end of the day, whichever one you get, you’ll be happy. Both are very capable smartphones and it finally comes to your choice of ecosystem.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The majority of the people in my communication circle have iPhones so iMessage is a real treat as well as FaceTime. If you find that you use those things often, it may be a tough transition but not an impossible one.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have an 8plus, which I'm thrilled with. However, since that's not one that you're considering, I'll just weigh in on your communication circle being primarily on iOS.... my extended family uses primarily iPhones. There are a handful who have Droids, and they do feel that they miss out on the benefits of iMessage and FaceTime.

Good luck in your decision and welcome to iMore!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
My opinion is that both phones are excellent!

The Note 8 is arguably better value at its price compared to the Iphone X

The Iphone X is far more comfortable in hand and easier to use one handed

Display on both is great - Iphone X i would say is technically better although i understand why most will prefer the Note 8

Camera is great on both but i think the Note 8 edges. The iphone x feels very basic whereas the note 8 has lots more in app settings plus captures a sharper image but theres not alot in it. Both are great

User experience is better on the Iphone X as long as your ok with the lack of customisation options

Just my own personal thoughts/feelings

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I own the note 8 and returned the X. Both very nice devices with the biggest difference is speed and ease of use which the note wins hands down. In the future when the bugs are worked out the X may give the note a run for it money but now in my opinion the note wins hands down if you don't mind android.

I am heavily invested in the IOS world with my cell phone the only non IOS device.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I own the note 8 and returned the X. Both very nice devices with the biggest difference is speed and ease of use which the note wins hands down. In the future when the bugs are worked out the X may give the note a run for it money but now in my opinion the note wins hands down if you don't mind android.

I am heavily invested in the IOS world with my cell phone the only non IOS device.

My experience is exactly the opposite :) my note 8 does not stand up to my iPhone X! It is much faster and smoother than my 8!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Luke

The X is a great phone, and I love mine. I had the 7 Plus, then the Samsung S8+, then iPhone 8, and now the X. It's difficult for me to say how hard it is moving to the new size because I had 2 other phones between the Plus and the X, but I had no real troubles acclimating to the overall size of the X.

The Note 8 seems like a great device, but for me personally it's just a little too large. My S8+ was big, but the Note is even bigger.

My hopes of Apple bringing split screen to iPhones have pretty much been squashed at this point. I feel like they would've done it already if they're going to. Having said that I almost never used it on my Note 7, S7 Edge, or S8+. Other than just using it to try it out I never found the need to have to have it. Speaking of the Note 7; the SPen is super cool and there's tons you can do with it, but other than a couple things I didn't use it as much as I thought.

The switch isn't a huge pain, but there can be some issues depending on how you communicate with your family and friends that currently have iPhones. How do you message each other? If it's through iMessage there might be some issues. Photos and especially videos do not always look good texted between iOS and Android. Without iMessage going through Apple's servers you're left with your carriers settings. This means compressed images and video through MMS. On the other hand if you guys already use 3rd party for messaging (WhatsApp, FB Messenger, etc.) it will be less of a problem as your carrier won't be an issue.

I don't have any real issues using Android with the rest of my stuff being Apple, but it's so much nicer to have HandOff, Continuity, AirDrop, etc for my macOS and iOS devices to communicate to one another.

In the end it will be up to you which to try, and decide what's best for you. Everything I've mentioned is just my point of view which will be completely different from yours. You could always try the Note 8, and if it doesn't work return it within the return period for your carrier. That's something that's really easy to do it you live in the US, but I'm not sure how it works in other countries if you live somewhere else.

Welcome to iMore and good luck with your decision!!!

Luke18

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
I first off want to say, THANKS, for the warm welcome to the forums! Then, THANKS for all the input, I have realized something from this thread and others I have been reading....I don’t feel switching is the right thing to do...here are my reasons:

-all my family and friends have iPhones...I will miss the iMessage integration!
-iCloud....I have a lot in the cloud!!
-Apps- I have invested a lot on apps, especially quite a few subscriptions...
-we have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in the house all integrated with each other and I have a work iPad I linked up also.
-last but not least, while I feel I would love the Note 8 and it’s features, I LOVE IOS and would miss my iPhone! Plus if I need split screen I’ll use my iPad!!

Thanks again for everything and please keep posting love to hear all the different stories!!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I just want to add that in terms of speed i personally find my S8 was quicker but not by alot! The iphone x seems to be a tad slower as the animations are drawn out a tad longer! You cannot go wrong with either phone really! Its more a question of ios v android then it is iphone x v samsung note 8

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I first off want to say, THANKS, for the warm welcome to the forums! Then, THANKS for all the input, I have realized something from this thread and others I have been reading....I don’t feel switching is the right thing to do...here are my reasons:

-all my family and friends have iPhones...I will miss the iMessage integration!
-iCloud....I have a lot in the cloud!!
-Apps- I have invested a lot on apps, especially quite a few subscriptions...
-we have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in the house all integrated with each other and I have a work iPad I linked up also.
-last but not least, while I feel I would love the Note 8 and it’s features, I LOVE IOS and would miss my iPhone! Plus if I need split screen I’ll use my iPad!!

Thanks again for everything and please keep posting love to hear all the different stories!!

You’re very welcome!
:)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I just want to add that in terms of speed i personally find my S8 was quicker but not by alot! The iphone x seems to be a tad slower as the animations are drawn out a tad longer! You cannot go wrong with either phone really! Its more a question of ios v android then it is iphone x v samsung note 8

You think the S8 is faster? My S8+ had all kinds of stuttery animation and dropped frames when going to the home screen when closing apps after a couple months. Sure a factory reset helped, but I'm not paying that much to factory reset every 2 months.

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
You think the S8 is faster? My S8+ had all kinds of stuttery animation and dropped frames when going to the home screen when closing apps after a couple months. Sure a factory reset helped, but I'm not paying that much to factory reset every 2 months.

I’ve had my note 8 since September 5th and happy to report, no stutters or lag like some may have experienced on previous Samsung devices. I think 6 gigs was the sweet spot for Android with Samsung experience (touchwiz) on top.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73