What MacBook Pro 16” configuration should I get?

carolkane

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
I don’t know what combo is best for me- I’m a graphic designer. Using mostly photoshop, illustrator and InDesign. I typically have a ton of apps open and fonts open. I’m flipping back and forth a lot and handling large photoshop files in the background sometimes. I’m a newbie in video. I won’t do a ton but will dabble. No 3D gaming. Want to keep for 5-7 years if possible. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to get the 8 core over the 6 core? Do I need to upgrade the graphics card? Was thinking of maxing the RAM.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t know what combo is best for me- I’m a graphic designer. Using mostly photoshop, illustrator and InDesign. I typically have a ton of apps open and fonts open. I’m flipping back and forth a lot and handling large photoshop files in the background sometimes. I’m a newbie in video. I won’t do a ton but will dabble. No 3D gaming. Want to keep for 5-7 years if possible. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to get the 8 core over the 6 core? Do I need to upgrade the graphics card? Was thinking of maxing the RAM.

Start with the mack-daddy model with all the best options. Is that in your budget? If not, then look into scaling back by dropping down to the 6 core instead of the 8, maybe one step down from video card, etc. If you're going to use external hard drive space then don't worry about a large internal hard drive. Max out RAM if possible.

carolkane

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
Thank you! Yeah the best of the best is not really in my budget and because I don’t use it all day. I have a work computer and this is for my personal side gigs. But I’ve made the mistake years ago of buying the base model of a Mac mini and it was horrible. So trying to learn some lessons and do the necessary upgrades without going overboard. A tough balance!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well here is what I'm currently using:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 8.47.41 AM.png

I got it in 2016 and I want to say it was around $2500. I'm using Lightroom and a few other apps (as a photographer) and really haven't had any performance issues. However, hindsight being 20/20 and all, I probably would have upgraded to 32 gigs ram. Today, with the current pandemic, I've turned it into a mobile streaming rig as I've been hosting several Zoom meetings per day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro