What is this?

jon4400

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know what DAC the iPhone 7 is using? I supposed now that the speakers produce stereo sound they must have added a much better one. The adapter for the audio port doesn't bother me much as I rarely have my headphones plugged in to my phone to listen to music while it's charging.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I was mistaken, but you're never getting close to the advertised speed. Battery bigger than what? The iPhone 6S? That had a smaller battery than the 6? Lots of phones have cameras as good as the iPhone's without needing that much space. Its a water resistance standard (IP67) that's been in other phones since at least 2013.

Those 'lots of phones' are no iPhone. That makes your statement completely invalid for me.
Like others have already said in other threads, Apple was the first major manufacturer to drop the floppy disk. Didn't do them no harm!

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I just ask myself if will be so much complaining when Samsung do the same on S8... All years is the same. A lot of complaining, a lot of cry, but Apple still sell lots of gadgets and all other manufacturers still emule it. Always the same...

Cheers,

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Those 'lots of phones' are no iPhone. That makes your statement completely invalid for me.
Like others have already said in other threads, Apple was the first major manufacturer to drop the floppy disk. Didn't do them no harm!

... This is completely different. If they dropped the 3.5 mil jack for a digital one, that would make sense, but they removed it all together. Floppy disk limited the ability and capacity of those computers. Like I said before, when Apple switched to lightning, they just made the port smaller, they didn't remove charging. I don't see how they couldn't have used something that was smaller instead of getting rid of it completely and then having to provide a lazy solution.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I just ask myself if will be so much complaining when Samsung do the same on S8... All years is the same. A lot of complaining, a lot of cry, but Apple still sell lots of gadgets and all other manufacturers still emule it. Always the same...

Cheers,

Well I'm pretty sure that even many Android users know that Samsung also advertises a lot of BS and that their phones are overpriced well over their production cost, just like Apple devices. I don't know why people think that just because one company is doing it then its good for another to do the same. Its not an Apple v Samsung war, there are other fish in the sea. Still, I want Apple to get USB and quick charging as well as a larger battery life. Samsung maybe showing off the "same" features every year, but at least that "same" is better than the battery life and charging on iPhone.

Cheers,

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, you don't have to buy it. The phones come with headphones with a lightning connection to the phone. Need to connect an aux?! Get the adapter. And let's be honest, if you want to charge while listening to music, how "slow" does it charge?! Sure I saw some things I didnt like, but everything has a solution. As always. Bring on the iPhone 7 Plus

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Cheers,

Not to mention the higher resolution displays that they always seem to be having on their devices every year.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
On a level I understand your feelings, I really do. But so far iPhones have given me user experience other phones couldn't give. That being said, I'm pretty sure Apple will come up with a way to keep pleasing their customers.
And I'm out of this conversation. I'm in no capacity to defend Apple any further than I already tried to do. Their reasons are theirs until they disclose it in the near future.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, you don't have to buy it. The phones come with headphones with a lightning connection to the phone. Need to connect an aux?! Get the adapter. And let's be honest, if you want to charge while listening to music, how "slow" does it charge?! Sure I saw some things I didnt like, but everything has a solution. As always. Bring on the iPhone 7 Plus

I'm not buying it, I never was when I turned my phone on to find out what unfolded at the keynote. But its been 2 years and the best Apple could do was a slightly bigger battery, something they reduced last year, and removing the headphone jack? No better display, faster charging or anything? I was actually looking forward to seeing if Apple was releasing a good phone this year. But you know, look at this really cool integrated home button that really does nothing for you.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not buying it, I never was when I turned my phone on to find out what unfolded at the keynote. But its been 2 years and the best Apple could do was a slightly bigger battery, something they reduced last year, and removing the headphone jack? No better display, faster charging or anything? I was actually looking forward to seeing if Apple was releasing a good phone this year. But you know, look at this really cool integrated home button that really does nothing for you.

I strongly agree with you here. That's my point as well. Not headphone jacket, as I said I even noticed it exist in last 3 years, but lack of innovation. This really annoy me. It seems to me this year iPhone is a kind of "gap wait" (sorry I don't know if there is a word to say that), a model Apple released just in order to make us wait for the next big one, with new design and really relevant news next year, when iPhone makes 10th anniversary. This is not good.

But, look, I don't see just Apple doing this. All manufacturers are quite boring last years. Even Samsung (and I say this looking for my S7 Olympics Edition); more processor, more software gimmicks, better camera, better battery (but, sorry, still not a par with my 6 Plus), theoretically better screens with bigger resolutions (but, really, do you really notice any practical difference between the "I-don't-know-how-old" retina displays resolutions and these world cracking 4K screens Sony want to convince us is the unique 21st century experience??) and... What news? What really news? I'm a bit old, so I remember choosing in the past between Sony Cli? and a lot of Palm devices, then between PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Symbian, all with different main points and downfalls and extremely different designs.

Today what do we have? Here, in Brazil, all Samsungs (the only manufacturer which really do care about this huge market), all iPhones very late and very overpriced (our iPhone is the world's most expensive every year, for the last eight consecutive years), some Motorolas, some overpriced LGs and, now, some Chinese brands. And that's all. All almost the same. So, lack of news is really a very tough question for me too. I just don't see it as a "just Apple" problem.

And relax, for me at least we are not fighting, in any meaning. I won't ever defend Apple or someone else. I just like to debate ideas, nothing more than this. ;)

Cheers,

mikosoft

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
An amateur musician and sound engineer here. Although I personally don't use iPhone a lot of musicians do, some even use a bunch of iPhones as their musical instruments. And although I'm not really that crazy about Apple tech their touchscreen and software integration is so good that using the touchscreen as an instrument feels pretty much natural due to the lowest latency in the industry.

Now Apple pretty much shown a huge middle finger to all of these musicians. There is literally no way I can connect (a bare) iP7 to my PA. Yes, I can use the adapter but what if I also want to charge the phone? There is nothing worse that a dead battery in the middle of a performance and it is ALWAYS good practise to have your device plugged in. So by removing a dedicated audio output Apple crippled the use of their device for some nondescript reason that stands under scrutiny.

Now, I don't mean we shouldn't go digital, not at all. I am using a fully digital PA system. But Apple's solution to removing an industry-standard interface is - either use an inferior interface (Bluetooth) with limited usability (and pretty much unusable in professional audio) or use a proprietary digital interface that no one supports (Lightning). Will they integrate USB audio? Or HDMI? Or AES/EBU, MADI or Dante for professionals? Naaah, screw that! We use our own solution! Because we can.

I'm not saying that this is how majority uses their iPhone, not at all (majority uses it as an Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook client anyway). But there is a strong Apple presence in professional audio and there are acts that use mobile Apple devices as part of performance. Apple knows this yet they are alienating this (faithful) part of their customers.

Trust me, I tried but I can not find a single positive reason for removing the connector.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
An amateur musician and sound engineer here. Although I personally don't use iPhone a lot of musicians do, some even use a bunch of iPhones as their musical instruments. And although I'm not really that crazy about Apple tech their touchscreen and software integration is so good that using the touchscreen as an instrument feels pretty much natural due to the lowest latency in the industry.

Now Apple pretty much shown a huge middle finger to all of these musicians. There is literally no way I can connect (a bare) iP7 to my PA. Yes, I can use the adapter but what if I also want to charge the phone? There is nothing worse that a dead battery in the middle of a performance and it is ALWAYS good practise to have your device plugged in. So by removing a dedicated audio output Apple crippled the use of their device for some nondescript reason that stands under scrutiny.

Now, I don't mean we shouldn't go digital, not at all. I am using a fully digital PA system. But Apple's solution to removing an industry-standard interface is - either use an inferior interface (Bluetooth) with limited usability (and pretty much unusable in professional audio) or use a proprietary digital interface that no one supports (Lightning). Will they integrate USB audio? Or HDMI? Or AES/EBU, MADI or Dante for professionals? Naaah, screw that! We use our own solution! Because we can.

I'm not saying that this is how majority uses their iPhone, not at all (majority uses it as an Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook client anyway). But there is a strong Apple presence in professional audio and there are acts that use mobile Apple devices as part of performance. Apple knows this yet they are alienating this (faithful) part of their customers.

Trust me, I tried but I can not find a single positive reason for removing the connector.

The musicians I know don't plug their iPhones directly into any amp, using the headphone jack. Here is a good alternative that has been in existence for some time that some friends use:

Mackie DL1608 - Lightning Connect

Focusrite iTrack Studio - Lightning Connector

Focusrite iTrack Solo - Lightning Connector

Pro-Ject Dock Box S Fi

There are a lot f professional options.

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
When I listen to music while driving, I use ONE earbud, the other one hangs down my neck. That way I can hear traffic and stay safe.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I strongly agree with you here. That's my point as well. Not headphone jacket, as I said I even noticed it exist in last 3 years, but lack of innovation. This really annoy me. It seems to me this year iPhone is a kind of "gap wait" (sorry I don't know if there is a word to say that), a model Apple released just in order to make us wait for the next big one, with new design and really relevant news next year, when iPhone makes 10th anniversary. This is not good.

But, look, I don't see just Apple doing this. All manufacturers are quite boring last years. Even Samsung (and I say this looking for my S7 Olympics Edition); more processor, more software gimmicks, better camera, better battery (but, sorry, still not a par with my 6 Plus), theoretically better screens with bigger resolutions (but, really, do you really notice any practical difference between the "I-don't-know-how-old" retina displays resolutions and these world cracking 4K screens Sony want to convince us is the unique 21st century experience??) and... What news? What really news? I'm a bit old, so I remember choosing in the past between Sony Cli? and a lot of Palm devices, then between PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Symbian, all with different main points and downfalls and extremely different designs.

Today what do we have? Here, in Brazil, all Samsungs (the only manufacturer which really do care about this huge market), all iPhones very late and very overpriced (our iPhone is the world's most expensive every year, for the last eight consecutive years), some Motorolas, some overpriced LGs and, now, some Chinese brands. And that's all. All almost the same. So, lack of news is really a very tough question for me too. I just don't see it as a "just Apple" problem.

And relax, for me at least we are not fighting, in any meaning. I won't ever defend Apple or someone else. I just like to debate ideas, nothing more than this. ;)

Cheers,

I don't mind the headphone jack being removed since I'm not going to deal with it, but its been two years without a decent upgrade. They are boasting a battery that is better than the iPhone 6S's which was smaller than the iPhone 6's. Its like comparing an iPhone 7 battery to that of a 5S. Not even the ram got upgraded. They're boasting about a camera that can record 4k but a screen that's still 1080p.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Gravity I see your doing what you do best.

Stir the Pot. Lol

I feel it's definitely time to drop the Jack.  even accommodated there customers with an adapter and the new Airpods have background noise adjustment.

Honestly it doesn't really matter to me I've gone wireless over a year ago.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So now instead of just taking your headphones with you when you go somewhere, you also have to remember to bring an adapter.

If you're bringing your headphones, just keep the adapter attached to them. You still only have to bring your phone and the headphones. It's not that complicated. Still only 2-items.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro