What is this?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So now instead of just taking your headphones with you when you go somewhere, you also have to remember to bring an adapter.

Why wouldn't you keep the adapter attached to your headphones?? That way you won't forget it whenever you take the headphones with you.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Fair question. The headphone jack doesn't technically NEED to be retired. Perhaps my wording was a little harsh. That being said, mobile device real estate is extremely valuable. I mean, phone manufacturers are looking at fractions of millimeters for room to fit components. If Apple can use that freed up real estate for something that benefits the end user I'm all for it. I'm perfectly fine using lightning headphones or the adapter that comes with the phone.

I am not in love with the fact that Apple is removing the headphone jack, but I'm also not all torn up over it.

I for one want to know why they removed it. It's the same thickness as the iPhone 6S and my iPhone 6 is still thinner. What did they fit into that same space?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of Apple doing that before... That switch to the lightning connector was nothing serious since you could just get a different charger. With this you either need new headphones or use an adapter that you can easily lose or break. I honestly think they're trying to make money from the people that will and can break or lose a $9 adapter. Plus, you also lose the ability to charge your phone and listen to audio. You're LOSING a function of the phone for an irrelevant "stereo" sound effect that you can get with a decent pair of headphones.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I for one want to know why they removed it. It's the same thickness as the iPhone 6S and my iPhone 6 is still thinner. What did they fit into that same space?

A better Taptic Engine, an integrated Home Button, a bigger battery, better ISP, better Camera.

Shall I continue?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I still don't see the reason for removing the headphone jack. Maybe for water resistance? I won't be able to use my square card reader if it isn't compatible.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

For starters, they added a second speaker and a larger camera sensor (iPhone 7) or second camera sensor (iPhone 7 Plus). They also added a second microprocessor. I'm sure those had something to do with it.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2-years old iPhone 6 Plus. Its phones are still intact, sealed, in its box. Now figure out how much do I care about removing of the 3,5mm jacket. I use only BT phones for at least 3 years now.

Cheers,

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
A better Taptic Engine, an integrated Home Button, a bigger battery, better ISP, better Camera.

Shall I continue?

Greater speeds don't mean anything when the max LTE speeds are around 50mbps. The battery is still almost exactly the same as it was 2 years ago. The camera could've been improved without removing the headphone jack. You'd rather have an integrated home button over the basic feature of being able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time? This whole "Apple is changing the standard nonsense is still not making sense to me." Only Apple uses the lightning connector, USB C would've made more sense, but why do that when you can charge for $9 lightning adapters that are bound to get lost or broken.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Analogue is pass?, Digital is the future and with Apple, the future is now.

Well then why didn't Apple include the new Airpods in the case if they are trying to push this wireless and digital ideology? Probably only costs them a few dollars to make and then slap that $100 for the brand name. smh

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying that this might not be the future, but it's ridiculous to just keep accepting this nonsense without questioning the practicality of it.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2-years old iPhone 6 Plus. Its phones are still intact, sealed, in its box. Now figure out how much do I care about removing of the 3,5mm jacket. I use only BT phones for at least 3 years now.

Cheers,

You see most people are still using the headphone jack since it's more practical and easier to just plug and play instead of charge and then use them for a while and having to the charge the headphones again.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Greater speeds don't mean anything when the max LTE speeds are around 50mbps.
Max LTE speed is 120/50mbps for me down/up.
The battery is still almost exactly the same as it was 2 years ago.
Battery is bigger, 2 hours more on the 7 and 1 hour on the plus
The camera could've been improved without removing the headphone jack.
I'm not really convinced that would have been the case
You'd rather have an integrated home button over the basic feature of being able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time?
Yes, because in doing so, Apple made their newest iPhone water resistant. I really needed that on my iPhone 5s 6 weeks ago.
This whole "Apple is changing the standard nonsense is still not making sense to me." Only Apple uses the lightning connector, USB C would've made more sense, but why do that when you can charge for $9 lightning adapters that are bound to get lost or broken.

Then don't break or lose it. You can even lose your phone, which doesn't stop Apple producing it. Apple is still innovative in more areas than other smartphone manufacturers, lets not forget that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well then why didn't Apple include the new Airpods in the case if they are trying to push this wireless and digital ideology? Probably only costs them a few dollars to make and then slap that $100 for the brand name. smh

The lightning Earpods are connected thru lightning, thus using digital instead of analogue connection.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Yes, because in doing so, Apple made their newest iPhone water resistant. I really needed that on my iPhone 5s 6 weeks ago.

Then don't break or lose it. You can even lose your phone, which doesn't stop Apple producing it. Apple is still innovative in more areas than other smartphone manufacturers, lets not forget that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBoD5epmeOA

melander

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
The good news is you don't have to buy it. The 100 year old 3.5mm jack needs to be retired. Apple just has the guts to pull the trigger. Other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

It's been done before. The HP Veer had no jacks with a magnetic connector that allowed either the 3.5mm adapter or charging. But the Veer also had wireless inductive charging so you could use your nice pair of cans while charging.
Is there an adapter that allows charging while providing 3.5 for the new iPhones?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I was mistaken, but you're never getting close to the advertised speed. Battery bigger than what? The iPhone 6S? That had a smaller battery than the 6? Lots of phones have cameras as good as the iPhone's without needing that much space. Its a water resistance standard (IP67) that's been in other phones since at least 2013.