What is it with the iMessage spam about "Sunglasses"?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

What is it with the iMessage spam about "Sunglasses"? I started receiving that at least once a week from a different long@$$ phone number (so even if I report and block, it changes nothing).

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Spam

Hi!

What is it with the iMessage spam about "Sunglasses"? I started receiving that at least once a week from a different long@$$ phone number (so even if I report and block, it changes nothing).

Your carrier probably has an address to forward the message to. Verizon does.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah but even there, it is a different number everytime :S

Verizon has a number too, but they have an email to forward the offending text to. Check yours and see if they do. I haven't gotten any ads. What I get appears to be phishing attempts.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Verizon has a number too, but they have an email to forward the offending text to. Check yours and see if they do. I haven't gotten any ads. What I get appears to be phishing attempts.

Haha what I meant is that I receive spam from a different number everytime =P
And I will surely check with my carrier =)

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Do you block those numbers? I do.

Yeah! There is an option called "Report junk", with unknown iMessage numbers.
My number is not ANYWHERE, beside on my business cards. How do spammers get it?

This is getting seriously annoying :S

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Spam

So it is an automatic process that tries random numbers?

And I am curious if I disable iMessages for a while, if I will still get those..

I think a lot is random because cell numbers are hard to get. If one is loose with their number maybe spammers can get it, but most folks aren't. I do see people post their number on their Facebook profile. Not me. LOL. I doubt it matters if you have iMessage on or off. The number doesn't change.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

I think a lot is random because cell numbers are hard to get. If one is loose with their number maybe spammers can get it, but most folks aren't. I do see people post their number on their Facebook profile. Not me. LOL. I doubt it matters if you have iMessage on or off. The number doesn't change.

Haha indeed!

And well, I thought that since iMessages are technically free, disabling them might refrain spammers from doing so because I doubt they want to pay SMS fees XD
And I doubt a computer can send SMS, since a phone number is required (I might be wrong, though. I am not tech savy =P ).
But it can send iMessages?!

Meh, I guess I will just stick with "Report junk" from the spammy iMessages themselves haha!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Haha indeed!

And well, I thought that since iMessages are technically free, disabling them might refrain spammers from doing so because I doubt they want to pay SMS fees XD
And I doubt a computer can send SMS, since a phone number is required (I might be wrong, though. I am not tech savy =P ).
But it can send iMessages?!

Meh, I guess I will just stick with "Report junk" from the spammy iMessages themselves haha!!

Some of what I get comes from email addresses. Those can be sent iMessage or SMS. And they probably have unlimited text. I do with Verizon.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Some of what I get comes from email addresses. Those can be sent iMessage or SMS. And they probably have unlimited text. I do with Verizon.

Oh?
I only get them from "phone numbers", since I did not activate my email for iMessages.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is it with the iMessage spam about "Sunglasses"?

I don't have a problem with iMessage Spam, but I do get spam calls periodically from people trying to sell security alarms, even though I already have one...:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Oh?
I only get them from "phone numbers", since I did not activate my email for iMessages.

I get both. The emails look more like phishing. They want you to click on and give info. I don't think blocking emails work, but I do it anyway. Doesn't matter if you added email to iMessage. They can still send text to your number via email. It's been awhile since I had one of those. I really don't get much spam at all.

digbel

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site

Funny I've received spam by whatsapp, viber, skype but never through iMessage. I do get sales calls and the same problem, they are always different numbers so blocking doesnt help

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Well, that blows..
And changing my number is not a possibility, since it will apparently not solve the issue AND I have a business so that would be awful x.x

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

All you can do, Cupcake, is block the number each time and delete. Eventually it will stop.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods