What is iMessage?

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
What is iMessage? I see it my settings. When I go to send a text, anyone with a iOS device, the chat bubble turns blue and it says iMessage. Anyone without iOS it's green chat bubbles. What is the point of this?

To the main issue, when I send my wife texts at work or away from the house to her iPhone sometimes she never gets the texts? And vice versa.

Then when she gets home all of a sudden my texts are delivered. I'm new to iOS so this iMessage issue is driving me nuts. What are the pros and cons? And how do I just send normal texts. Also when I finally get the text from her I also get it on my iPad?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
iMessage uses data rather than your cellular SMS network to send messages. This allows devices like the wifi iPad or iPods to also send "text messages." It's associated to your Apple ID so it'll go to all of your devices, mac computers included with recent OS versions.

If you don't want to use this option, disable iMessage. You're free to hold the message and opt to "Send as Txt Message" on an individual basis instead.

iMessage includes a delivery receipt. If it doesn't say delivered, consider sending it as a text if it's urgent.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
iMessage uses data rather than your cellular SMS network to send messages. This allows devices like the wifi iPad or iPods to also send "text messages." It's associated to your Apple ID so it'll go to all of your devices, mac computers included with recent OS versions.

If you don't want to use this option, disable iMessage. You're free to hold the message and opt to "Send as Txt Message" on an individual basis instead.

iMessage includes a delivery receipt. If it doesn't say delivered, consider sending it as a text if it's urgent.

Why is iMessage causing certain texts not to be delivered to other iOS devices, it's a hit or miss.

I also did a test. I turned iMessage and WiFi off on my iPhone and then sent my wife a text. She got it but when she replied my iPhone didn't get her response but my iPad did? My iPad w/ WiFi has iMessage on. My iPad didn't get all of the texts though and she has been on iMessage the whole time. I believe that she still has iMessage on her 5c but def no WiFi. If she has iMessage on do I have to have it turned on too? And I thought each iOS device has to have WiFi on for that particlaur device to receive and iMessage?

Is there really a point to having this feature on? I just bought these iPhones, this iMessage feature should be working, this is driving me nuts. I'm so confused.

I went into settings and so some feature that said "If iMessage is unable to send it will be sent as a SMS". Should I just select that?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Why is iMessage causing certain texts not to be delivered to other iOS devices, it's a hit or miss.

I also did a test. I turned iMessage and WiFi off on my iPhone and then sent my wife a text. She got it but when she replied my iPhone didn't get her response but my iPad did? My iPad w/ WiFi has iMessage on. My iPad didn't get all of the texts though and she has been on iMessage the whole time. I believe that she still has iMessage on her 5c but def no WiFi. If she has iMessage on do I have to have it turned on too? And I thought each iOS device has to have WiFi on for that particlaur device to receive and iMessage?

Is there really a point to having this feature on? I just bought these iPhones, this iMessage feature should be working, this is driving me nuts. I'm so confused.

I went into settings and so some feature that said "If iMessage is unable to send it will be sent as a SMS". Should I just select that?

Yes, turn them both on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using apps

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Remember that iMessage also uses cellular data when wifi is not available. I say yes to turn on "Send as SMS".

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You can choose how you want to be contacted with iMessages with multiple email addresses and your phone number. On an iPhone the phone number is automatically included but that's not the case for the iPad. But on the iPhone the phone number is no different than someone being able to send you an old fashioned SMS.
So assuming your co-workers don't know your cell phone number you can just set iMessages up to not include your work email and your co-workers shouldn't be able to reach you.

That's exactly what I've done. Coworkers don't know my phone number and my work email isn't associated with iMessage. In fact, I don't even use the email I have associated with iMessage, so only people who have my phone number can contact me by SMS or iMessage.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

If you have iMessage enabled, it is the default way to send messages. If you do not enable the option to send as SMS, it'll be the only way the message will be sent if iMessage is detected. So yeah, you probably want to enable that. Wifi is meaningless. It will be sent as data either by wifi or by your cellular data plan. Don't worry so much about the wifi.

The situation you described makes perfect sense. Your iPhone and iPad share your Apple ID. When you turned iMessage off on your phone, you didn't disable iMessage, just the phone's ability to receive it. When your wife sent a reply, her phone detected iMessage. It sent the message via iMessage. Your phone wasn't accepting iMessages, but your iPad was. When you sent her the message, you sent it via SMS. Even with iMessage enabled, you can send/receive SMS. That's how you are able to text with non-Apple devices. Your message sent and she received it.

As far as not getting all of the texts, your iPad likely had a short term network issue. It missed the messages during this time.

The feature is designed for three scenarios. In some places, unlimited text is not an option for plans. In those locations, iMessage will decrease the cost of a plan if you're texting other Apple devices. Another is one you've seen. iPads and iPods aren't all data enabled. By including iMessage, Apple has created a way for you to easily text from devices that do not have a cellular connection without the need for additional apps. They extended iMessage to their last couple of OS X releases allowing you to text Apple devices from a Mac. The third relates to poor cell reception. If you're in a building that doesn't get cell reception, but does maintain a wifi router, you can still pass iMessages but not texts.

As far as a "point," that is up to you. If any of these systems works for you, go for it. If you don't see any of them as useful, it's entirely your choice to enable/disable the feature. Generally, I leave iMessage off on everything except my phone and don't run into many issues. The few times iMessage fails, it sends the message as SMS instead.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro