What has the iPhone replaced?

What do you no longer need now that you have an iPhone? (Pick all that apply!)

• A landline telephone

Votes: 47 61.8%
  • A camera (video or still)

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • An mp3 player or portable radio

Votes: 67 88.2%
  • A memo pad, checkbook or diary

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • A book or magazine

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • Any number of board games and/or video games

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • A GPS unit and/or a paper map

Votes: 47 61.8%
  • A voice recorder

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • A laptop (at least most of the time)

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
What did you used to use all the time, that you just don't feel the need to dust off any more (or have already gotten rid of) now that you have an iPhone? Pick as many categories as you want, I ran out due to the limit of ten but could think of others (compass, for example). What else did I miss?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
ipod is the biggest, as well as land line that i only use for my dsl now. i'm surprised though at the amount of time i spend surfing the web while on the couch or something as well. when i work the weekends, i ususally just left my laptop at work, and used a netbook for surfing and such. now it seems the iphone will be replacing that!

vanishingvision7

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
It has replaced a phone, memo taker, and voice recorder.

What it needs to be able to replace for the next gen or I'm jumping ships to elsewhere is, Camera (I want stills and videos) bigger storage for mp3 (at least 64 gigs). If that is not met, I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
For me, everything on that list but video games (I'm a console junkie). looking at that list makes me laugh at when I scoffed at the at core and monthly price I pay for the iphone, it's a bargin.

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Labtop, for viewing purposes. Plus its a phone, and on the go camera. Even though i still use my labtop like everyday it passes the time easier while im away from home.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
For sure it's replaced all my WinMo devices! And also mp3 player- I don't think I need to buy any more iPods any more- between a Mac mini acting as an iTunes server at home and my iPhones, I don't need any other mp3 player. Plus books, note taker, and GPS/maps.

Many of those things on the list it hasn't yet completely replaced for me, but yet it has gone farther towards replacing them than any other handheld device I've had (and I've been trying to replace these things with a handheld since at least 2003).

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
It replaced my HTC Touch Pro as well as my ipod touch. I love only having 1 device! (Especially one that isn't Windows Mobile!!!)

sahmad88

May 30, 2009
Visit site
1. Blackberry Storm
2. Amazon kindle 2
3. iPod nano
4. Carrying Around my camera for the just for fun shots
5. Hopefully soon my TomTom that was stolen from my car a few months ago
6. My laptop for quick lookups, casual browsing, and some composition (I am in bed writing this post on my 3G S right now)

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm surprised by the number of people who said "laptop"! I wonder if folks who use the iPhone as a laptop replacement actually already have a laptop or just don't feel the need to purchase one now that they have an iPhone?

Mag

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
For me everything on that list. Wont say a laptop even though i take my iphone with me quite often whereas i would previously take a laptop. But still need my laptop often...
Biggest thing for me is that it functions as my phone, my mp3player and my psp, now i only need to take a single device with me ! :D

looking at that list makes me laugh at when I scoffed at the at core and monthly price I pay for the iphone, it's a bargin.

Never looked at it that way, but; Yeh!

Proco2020

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
My iPod touch was my browsing device, when not on a PC or Laptop but after only a couple of days the iPhone has taken that mantle and as it has a bigger memory (16GB rather than 8GB) I can carry more music and browse in more places thanks to 3G.

I'm not a teenager or geek but have loved smart phones and the information they bring to your palm and I look forward to hopefully a long relationship with my 3Gs. I just hope my girlfriend accepts the Touch she bought me is now in semi retirement.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Although I use my iPod Touch for music in my car, my iPhone has replaced my iPod Classic.. even before I had the iPod Touch..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
News papers and magazines. In fact I get almost all my news on the iPhone now. In the morning while having coffee it's not the paper or laptop with me.

Still have my 80GB iPod in the car for tunes and it's not even close to replacing my digi-cam.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR