What has Apple gotten right that Google hasn’t?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, we often hear how Google has gotten something right whereas Apple hadn’t. Maps & turn-by-turn navigation, for example. Having said that, do you think there’s anything that Apple has gotten right and Google hasn’t? If so, what?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
iCloud Backup, great hardware, best warranty in the business. Least I not forget the Apple store and Genius Bar.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in the iCloud comments. Are we strictly talking about the Backup to iCloud. Because iCloud as a storage solution is pretty trash.

To answer the question, I would say hardware, handoff, service integration and iMessage.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It's hard to believe a blanket statement such as yours when you consider how many android devices are in circulation. Clearly they work or people wouldn't buy them and people buy a lot of them

Yes, I was one of them. All Google/Nexus/Pixel devices. All rooted and running custom roms. Too much tinkering, tweaking and reboots just to keep them running. Even on stock roms.

With iOS the reboots have only been due to OS updates. When I need the device, it's ready to use.

crucial bbq

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
This question is specifically asking about Apple and Google, not iPhone vs. Android handset, er Pixel/Pixel 2. I know, this website should change its name from iMore to iOS Only Fan Club. Snark aside, don't forget that Apple is a software company first and foremost.

We are talking about two different companies with two different business models. Google exists for one thing and one thing only: to eventually create the ability to accurately predict the likelihood of *you* buying a product or not. They are in the business of curated ads and Google's ultimate goal is eventually predict with 100% accuracy if you are going to buy those shoes or not. Everything from AI to ML to AR to email is free. Well, Google Googles is free but Google Glasses were not. Think about that: Google is one of the biggest companies in the World and yet they give away practically all of their products for free.

Apple exists to enhance the human experience through a carefully curated selection of apps and software and to lock you into that ecosystem. The future of Apple is not in iPhone or Mac sales but in subscription services, iTV, iTunes, and so on.

With that, Apple got Final Cut Pro right. Er, well at one point in time they did. They got Logic right. What was that piece of software they had before Garage Band? Soundwave? Whatever it was called it was certainly way better than Garage Band. Pages is still better than Docs even after Apple crippled Pages by removing some of its best features to appease iOS users (who more than likely use a Windows PC if they use a desktop/laptop at all).

Then there is Terminal. Too bad you now need to install Xcode and Xcode CML Tools to get the same functionality out of Terminal that we once enjoyed. Granted, this is from Unix and not Apple, but still...

Keeping macOS and iOS separate.

Apple Pay. Not sure if Apple Pay is better than G Pay or Samsung Pay -or whatever it is called- but Apple certainly almost single-handedly forced merchants to adopt the technology.

Likely others, but this is long enough.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the fact that my iPhones are still running perfectly well in the hands of the family members who got them after I upgraded.

Conversely, my Android devices became nothing but sources of frustration after the first major OS upgrade. After my Note 4 became a hot mess one year after I got it, I waited because I was DONE. THEN I got an SGS 7 Plus for testing new development and I just couldn’t get back into it. Hated it.

So, from where I stand, Apple got the longevity of the hardware/software right. Also the same apps always work better on my iPhones than they ever did on my Androids.

My impression based on my experiences. YMMV.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Support and physical stores where people can experience using their devices, take a class or go to the Genius Bar with an issue. It’s really the overall experience.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Actually I see, ultimately, a lot of things Google offer that Apple don't. Examples: a usable car platform (here in Brazil CarPlay is simply worthless); a much better Assistant (to compare Google Assistant with Siri is simply a joke), among others less important things to me.

Nonetheless...

I still keep using iPhone and Apple products. Why? Because I simply hate the idea to be constantly spied on by Google. Simple like that. That's the Google way of doing business. And I don't want to be part of it. But, for a day-to-day use, in my case, is clear Google has more to offer. I just don't want to pay the price it is asking for.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
A long lasting,constantly updating hardware/software set, tremendous ease of use, a physical shop ten minutes away. My son has had three phones on the other OS since I got my 4s and it’s not because he’s a gadget freak, they just get unusable after a while.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Having my iPhone, iPad and mac working together so well. Love the continuity. No other company provides that experience.