What goes into your decision to purchasing any piece of tech?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do I need it?
Will it improve my workflow?
Is their other devices that would be a better choice/fit my needs better?
Is it an improvement to what I have?
Can I afford it?
(If it's a phone) is the performance difference noticeably faster in real world usage?
(If it's a computer part) is the performance gain worth the price vs what I currently have?

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S or Surface 2 using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The features in a piece of tech are what drive me to purchase a device.
The bigger screen of the 6 Plus and Apple Pay got me this year. Last year with the 5S it was Touch ID.
In 2012 the Black Slate iPhone 5 got me although I didn't pull the trigger on it.
Touch ID, A8 and thinness is driving me to a iPad Air 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I do always ask myself if I do really need it? If I, does it really worth to spend for? Then I foresee myself using it if I will be really satisfied on what I spend. :)

shaleem

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I ask myself if I really need it. However, I'm such a weak person when it comes to tech. I always want the latest. LOL! It's really funny because I'm not really a techno guru. I mean, I just know enough to get by. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as so many on this site about all the different aspects of technology. I just like tech.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
This is hard to answer. At this point I feel like I have everything that I really "want" or even "need". So when I buy stuff it's really just replacing/upgrading something broken or old.

Along those lines then...I would probably be thinking about these topics;
1. Price.
2. Do I really want this item?
3. Do I really need this item?
4. Can I replace an old item I already own with the new item AND potentially sell the old item?
5. Is it pretty sweet?
6. Will I actually use it?

Interesting question.

techygal

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Great thread.

Value it would add in my life - do I need it? will it help save me time? how will this help me?
Evaluating cost based on value

Research - taking a look at reviews, what did others have to say about it?

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I ask my self... Is it apple? If no the no interest at all. If yes I schedule to get it as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Often I would entertain the thought of getting a new PC or laptop, and then I always somehow tell myself my current setup is good enough for my needs. I hold off the new computer until I really hit a point of my software becoming horrendously slow. That's when I realize I really need that computer.

This line of thought always works for me when it comes to computers.

Phones are a little different because I can get those on a whim once I have a contract upgrade in hand. Because the upgrade fee is cheap for a new phone I don't ponder the decision as much. It's true: the lower the price the faster the decision gets made...

Cheers!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I like gadgets, but I can't afford them. When deciding on a new item, I research and research. I check the cost God knows how many times and always ask myself do I NEED this or WANT it. Typically it is a want.

That is the downside to working in IT. Always wanting to try the latest thing. It can be costly :(

raymaane

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I can never ask myself "Do I need it?" because 9/10 times that answer is no.

Will I use it? is a question I ALWAYS ask myself.

Of course price is a priority (usually) haha.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
First I do some research and comparisons. Then I ask myself, why do I need or want it? Can I afford it? If I can answer yes to both questions then I usually purchase the item.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
If I buy item x, will that annoy person y?. How about if I only tell them I bought one, but do not really, will they still be angry, and will I need to make any props, in case they ask for proof?

TimDinApps

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
For me this is priority list:
1) do i need it?
2) functionality of piece of tech, Is it enough for me?
3) will i able to use it for developing apps, and extend functionality?
4) the ability to combine with existing things, if exist