What goes into your decision to purchasing any piece of tech?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do I need it?
Will it improve my workflow?
Is their other devices that would be a better choice/fit my needs better?
Is it an improvement to what I have?
Can I afford it?
(If it's a phone) is the performance difference noticeably faster in real world usage?
(If it's a computer part) is the performance gain worth the price vs what I currently have?

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S or Surface 2 using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The features in a piece of tech are what drive me to purchase a device.
The bigger screen of the 6 Plus and Apple Pay got me this year. Last year with the 5S it was Touch ID.
In 2012 the Black Slate iPhone 5 got me although I didn't pull the trigger on it.
Touch ID, A8 and thinness is driving me to a iPad Air 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I do always ask myself if I do really need it? If I, does it really worth to spend for? Then I foresee myself using it if I will be really satisfied on what I spend. :)

shaleem

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I ask myself if I really need it. However, I'm such a weak person when it comes to tech. I always want the latest. LOL! It's really funny because I'm not really a techno guru. I mean, I just know enough to get by. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as so many on this site about all the different aspects of technology. I just like tech.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
This is hard to answer. At this point I feel like I have everything that I really "want" or even "need". So when I buy stuff it's really just replacing/upgrading something broken or old.

Along those lines then...I would probably be thinking about these topics;
1. Price.
2. Do I really want this item?
3. Do I really need this item?
4. Can I replace an old item I already own with the new item AND potentially sell the old item?
5. Is it pretty sweet?
6. Will I actually use it?

Interesting question.

techygal

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Great thread.

Value it would add in my life - do I need it? will it help save me time? how will this help me?
Evaluating cost based on value

Research - taking a look at reviews, what did others have to say about it?

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I ask my self... Is it apple? If no the no interest at all. If yes I schedule to get it as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Often I would entertain the thought of getting a new PC or laptop, and then I always somehow tell myself my current setup is good enough for my needs. I hold off the new computer until I really hit a point of my software becoming horrendously slow. That's when I realize I really need that computer.

This line of thought always works for me when it comes to computers.

Phones are a little different because I can get those on a whim once I have a contract upgrade in hand. Because the upgrade fee is cheap for a new phone I don't ponder the decision as much. It's true: the lower the price the faster the decision gets made...

Cheers!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I like gadgets, but I can't afford them. When deciding on a new item, I research and research. I check the cost God knows how many times and always ask myself do I NEED this or WANT it. Typically it is a want.

That is the downside to working in IT. Always wanting to try the latest thing. It can be costly :(

raymaane

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I can never ask myself "Do I need it?" because 9/10 times that answer is no.

Will I use it? is a question I ALWAYS ask myself.

Of course price is a priority (usually) haha.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
First I do some research and comparisons. Then I ask myself, why do I need or want it? Can I afford it? If I can answer yes to both questions then I usually purchase the item.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
If I buy item x, will that annoy person y?. How about if I only tell them I bought one, but do not really, will they still be angry, and will I need to make any props, in case they ask for proof?

TimDinApps

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
For me this is priority list:
1) do i need it?
2) functionality of piece of tech, Is it enough for me?
3) will i able to use it for developing apps, and extend functionality?
4) the ability to combine with existing things, if exist

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods