What do you guys do with your iPads?

Globe22

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, long time iMore visitor/first time forum poster here.

Anyways, I've had an iPad 2 for quite some time now and the longer I have it the more I find less and less uses for it. My mom (not an overly lucky person) won me the iPad at a work party in late 2011 just before Christmas. I then bought a Macbook Pro for university in 2012 and two weeks ago on boxing day I traded in my HTC One for a brand new iPhone 6. So, my issue is that I am at a loss for what to use my iPad for. Typing and scrolling through twitter or flipboard is significantly easier on my iPhone as well as the quality of the screen for games or videos.

If you didn't want to read all that; simply put, what are you currently using your iPad for? Should I buy an iPad Mini? or sell the iPad 2 and buy the Apple Watch? (I'm leaning towards this option)

thomasliveshere

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I use mine every day for a variety of things really.
For travel, on trains etc on the way to class. Taking notes for uni sometimes. Browsing Facebook, Twitter, news etc in the morning when I wake up and have a coffee and stuff outside etc.
Use it for a lot of media & entertainment - videos, youtube or just browsing online when I'm in bed and so on.
Basically I use it if I deem it to be more appropriate than my laptop. It's light, extremely portable and highly functional. :p
Everyone will get different uses out of the same device. It's a pretty personal thing.
If you think that it's something that is easily replaceable by the other tech you already own, and/or you just don't get the value & use out of it then I would probably just sell it or whatever. I just know that I couldn't part with my iPad. :)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I use mine for research, internet browsing, gaming, word processing, making movies with iMovie, iMore forums, movies, YouTube, and occasionally reading. 😄👍

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I use mine for games and movies. Browsing is painfully slow on my iPad.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Reading, writing blogs, web browsing mostly. I think my MBP has been getting lonely since my iPad days began.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My iPad Air is my defacto laptop. I take it with me almost everywhere and use it for teaching classes/presentations (with Apple TV), reading, shopping, surfing the web, watching tv/movies, creating/editing Pages & Keynote docs, etc...It's what initially brought me into the Apple ecosystem back when the og iPad was released. Still my favorite Apple device!

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Browsing webpages, watching videos, both streaming and local content. Playing light games, keeping all my PIM apps in sync from my BlackBerry, reading manga, writing down notes, using Adobe Reader often for PDF files, Office 365 for university and eBooks for reading.

Among other things, although this is what I tend to do most often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
My iPad is for school and entertainment purposes.. but I will say I don't know if I will buy another one.. I've been using my phone a lot more than my iPad

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to mention one thing I use my iPad for: School. It is probably the best tool I could have to use in school.

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention one thing I use my iPad for: School. It is probably the best tool I could have to use in school.

I used my BlackBerry PlayBook throughout my second year of university, the file system was much easier to deal with than on an iPad. After I got my first iPad, I still used the PlayBook but now I'm using the iPad Mini exclusively and not switching between tablets due to apps like Box integrating across the OS more, creating a solution for my file directory gripe I've had with iOS.

AshtonVibe

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Great question actually. I can understand how having two devices for all the same things can seem like a waste. However, I still prefer to use the iPad for two things, MEDIA and ENTERTAINMENT.

I am a gamer, and can get bored easily. So, I have the iPad Air 2. For my iPhone 6, it's good for casual use. Send some texts, make a few calls, look up something quickly online, watch some YouTube or a 20 minute tv show, etc.
BUT, when I need to do some serious online action or intensive work, I need my iPad. The large screen is great for full HD movies. I actually try to keep all of my games on the tablet too, as it looks better there, and saves space the phone.
You basically have more workspace on the iPad, and web contentis expanded(had more options) ok the tablet vs phone.

Apps I use on iPad: Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel (which are FREE now btw). Trulia, Google maps, and Earth, Mail/Gmail, Paper, Word Search, Scrabble and Monopoly for family game night. Ted, iBooks, Luminosity. Also, Google Drive and Dropbox. I liked to photo edit, and create movies, and share content in bulk.

Just a great device to have a computer like experience. Better to avoid doing a lot of scrolling, zooming, and one handed operations.

For a start, and what opened my eyes up to the iPad is going into App Store, under Top Charts(bottom tab). Hit the Categories button(top left) and look under each category. You'll probably find yourself downloading app after app, unable to download fast enough maybe.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I use mine for pretty much everything I'd use my iPhone for. Though I definitely use the iPad more in terms of YouTube, Netflix, and other video services.

I use it at least twice a day. Once when I get up to get ready for work, then again as I lay in bed before sleep.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I sold mine after getting a 6.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

There is absolutely nothing I would rather do on an iPhone 6 than an iPad. And this isn't even the main reason but the atrocious battery life of the 6 would pretty much have me have to be tethered to the wall in order to do anything on it if I didn't also have an iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods