What do people prefer with regards to Android notifications over iOS?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Facts are facts. Android has a more robust notification system. Why is that hard to accept? Perhaps Apple could learn from that and give its users a slightly better experience.

It’s about preferences.
I like the way it’s on iOS, therefore I don’t need to accept anything pertaining to Android.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It’s no such thing, one tap into settings. You just finer control of the notifications. It’s not all or nothing. The thread was asking what people prefer about Android notifications. I gave some examples of what people prefer over iOS. You can prefer what you want, this thread isn’t about which system people prefer, it’s about what specifically people prefer about Android notifications. Android also has blanket notification options FWIW, each app has more control for its app though. So you can still get notifications you want while not getting ones you don’t want.

You gave examples of what you prefer, it just doesn’t apply to everyone.

You might find iOS notifications lacking but most do not.

iOS has come a long way in terms of notifications, though I do believe it still needs work.

There are a significant amount of iOS users that do not want apple to turn iOS into an android clone, that wouldn’t sound appealing to them.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Facts are facts. Android has a more robust notification system. Why is that hard to accept? Perhaps Apple could learn from that and give its users a slightly better experience.

By robust, you mean a lot more fiddling just to get things right, and then some more fiddling after that, that’s not a better experience.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You gave examples of what you prefer, it just doesn’t apply to everyone.

You might find iOS notifications lacking but most do not.

There are a significant amount of iOS users that do not want apple to turn iOS into an android clone, that wouldn’t sound appealing to them.

By robust, you mean a lot more fiddling just to get things right, and then some more fiddling after that, that’s not a better experience.

I gave common examples of what a lot of people prefer about Android notifications, as is the topic of this thread. I never said about iOS copying Android. There are things I wish Apple would do with notifications, yes. You can also keep your notifications as blanket as you want on Android, or choose to make some changes that better suit you. It’s robust in that you gives you more control, that doesn’t mean you have to use those controls.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It’s about preferences.
I like the way it’s on iOS, therefore I don’t need to accept anything pertaining to Android.

First, No one said you have to but you should allow others to if they choose.

Second, you said you have “never used Android and never will” so how can you even have an opinion?

Third, this is a forum for adults that want to have meaningful conversations and ask questions. You seem to think they shouldn’t be allowed to. I’m not sure that is how it works.

Last, you are the type of person that actually hurts Apple. Your attitude turns people off. Your actions are counter to what the Board of Directors would recommend.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I gave common examples of what a lot of people prefer about Android notifications.

No, buying a peripheral for a game is not very common at all, that was a rather lousy example where the majority of iOS users will never encounter your specific issue or issues at all.

You keep bringing up “a lot of people” for your own anecdotal examples. Or are you speaking for a group of people?

I never said about iOS copying Android. There are things I wish Apple would do with notifications, yes. You can also keep your notifications as blanket as you want on Android, or choose to make some changes that better suit you. It’s robust in that you gives you more control, that doesn’t mean you have to use those controls.

You want iOS notifications to be more like android but you don’t want iOS copying android.

That’s the thing I don’t believe iOS needs more robust controls for notification, there is no point. I would rather apple work on multiple user support, or more robust privacy features for iOS, similar to what they did with Sign In with Apple and not waste resources developing granular controls that can be solved by switching off notifications for the app.

And as you said you prefer the notifications on android, good for you, enjoy your android device, no need to turn iOS into an android clone. Different users different features different experiences.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
First, No one said you have to but you should allow others to if they choose.

Second, you said you have “never used Android and never will” so how can you even have an opinion?

Third, this is a forum for adults that want to have meaningful conversations and ask questions. You seem to think they shouldn’t be allowed to. I’m not sure that is how it works.

Last, you are the type of person that actually hurts Apple. Your attitude turns people off. Your actions are counter to what the Board of Directors would recommend.

You seem to take things too seriously.
You shouldn’t though.
I have never used it personally, but I have seen my fair share of Android interface. It may be outdated, it may be incomplete, but those times I encountered an Android device was not enticing at all.
I have never discouraged people from talking about Android. Nor will I. However, if you’re referring to my way of talking to @metllicamilitia, that’s just the way we roll.
And lastly, there is nothing wrong with my attitude, to be honest, if you try to see it in the right context.
Right now I’m not convinced that you do.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No, buying a peripheral for a game is not very common at all, that was a rather lousy example where the majority of iOS users will never encounter your specific issue or issues at all.

You keep bringing up “a lot of people” for your own anecdotal examples. Or are you speaking for a group of people?

You want iOS notifications to be more like android but you don’t want iOS copying android.

That’s the thing I don’t believe iOS needs more robust controls for notification, there is no point. I would rather apple work on multiple user support, or more robust privacy features for iOS, similar to what they did with Sign In with Apple and not waste resources developing granular controls that can be solved by switching off notifications for the app.

And as you said you prefer the notifications on android, good for you, enjoy your android device, no need to turn iOS into an android clone. Different users different features different experiences.

Again, please re-read the thread title.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I did, as well as the first post.

Op was a long time android user who switched to iOS and found that ha preferred the iOS notifications over android.

He couldn’t understand why everyone said that android notification was better, since he preferred the iOS notification system over android.

That’s it in a nutshell.

And you kind of proved the op point.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I did, as well as the first post.

Op was a long time android user who switched to iOS and found that ha preferred the iOS notifications over android.

He couldn’t understand why everyone said that android notification was better, since he preferred the iOS notification system over android.

That’s it in a nutshell.

And you kind of proved the op point.

He posed the question twice. The topic of the thread. What do you prefer about Android notifications? Not which system you prefer.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
He posed the question twice. The topic of the thread. What do you prefer about Android notifications? Not which system you prefer.

Did you only read the question twice , probably missed context, if you only read the question twice and nothing else.

Here is the op post. Please read it.
I woulda ask you to reread it I’m but it doesn’t seem like you read it all.

I was an Android user for a long time. After reviewing and reading I found many people preferring notifications on Android over iOS.

After a couple of weeks I actually prefer the notifications on iOS.

Just curious as to what people prefer with regards to Android notifications over iOS?

It’s pretty clear. And your posts kind of proved the op point.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you only read the question twice , probably missed context, if you only read the question twice and nothing else.

Here is the op post. Please read it.
I woulda ask you to reread it I’m but it doesn’t seem like you read it all.

It’s pretty clear. And your posts kind of proved the op point.

Easy there. No reason to attack anyone in this forum.

Might be a good time to refresh yourself on our Community Rules & Guidelines.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wasn’t my intention at all for my post to come off as an attack. I was being literal, perhaps a bit much.

Telling someone that you don’t think they like reading at all isn’t a nice thing to say whether you truly believe it or not.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You seem to take things too seriously.
You shouldn’t though.
I have never used it personally, but I have seen my fair share of Android interface. It may be outdated, it may be incomplete, but those times I encountered an Android device was not enticing at all.
I have never discouraged people from talking about Android. Nor will I. However, if you’re referring to my way of talking to @metllicamilitia, that’s just the way we roll.
And lastly, there is nothing wrong with my attitude, to be honest, if you try to see it in the right context.
Right now I’m not convinced that you do.

I’ve been known as serious, so you’ve got me pegged there.

Still, Android has a more robust notification system that allows the access of information to be much more easily accessible. That’s why I like it better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright.....everyone has made their point in regard to notifications so agree to disagree and move on please. Thanks.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Telling someone that you don’t think they like reading at all isn’t a nice thing to say whether you truly believe it or not.

There might be a slight misunderstanding,

I didn’t think he read the “original post at all”, not reading in general.

I assumed he skipped the original post and only focused on the title and question posed. That’s why i included the orignal post and asked him to read it for context.

He mentioned several times that he only read the title and the questions.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
There might be a slight misunderstanding,

I didn’t think he read the “original post at all”, not reading in general.

I assumed he skipped the original post and only focused on the title and question posed. That’s why i included the orignal post and asked him to read it for context.

He mentioned several times that he only read the title and the questions.

My comments were the thread topic. Yes OP said they prefer iOS. The prompt, which was prompted twice, is what people prefer about Android notifications, not which notification system is preferred. There was no prompt for such.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My comments were the thread topic. Yes OP said they prefer iOS. The prompt, which was prompted twice, is what people prefer about Android notifications, not which notification system is preferred. There was no prompt for such.

Yes the op, a long time android user switched to iOS and couldn’t understand why “people” preferred android notifications over iOS, since he found iOS notifications to be better.

Context is key.