What are your 3 primary gripes about iOS 16?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine are the following:

1. Changing the wallpaper. There was nothing wrong with the old way.
2. Screen sensitivity. It’s way too easy to activate the lock screen wallpaper thingy.
3. Settings. There’s too much there.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I can only think of one.

Siri getting activated on the wrong device. For instance, I want it to activate on my HomePod, but instead I get the iPhone that’s being charged.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Mine are the following:

2. Screen sensitivity. It’s way too easy to activate the lock screen wallpaper thingy.

For me it’s a less known one that may just be on my end. It may also be watchOS. The volume control on my watch (controlling AirPods P2) has been intermittently clunky since 16.x. I spin the crown for 4 or 5 seconds? Nothing…then way too high or way too low. Reboot of my watch changed nothing. Re-pair of my AirPods changed nothing. Reboot of my 14 PM makes it good for probably several days.
It’s happening in and away from home so it’s not BT or Wi-Fi interference. I haven’t been on 16.3 long enough to see if it gone.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I can only think of one.

Siri getting activated on the wrong device. For instance, I want it to activate on my HomePod, but instead I get the iPhone that’s being charged.

I had that happen after a much earlier update (and posted it here). After maybe a week or two it self corrected. Hopefully that’s your case too Ed :).

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Sensitivity and wallpaper mostly

Hopefully the rumors of Apple concentrating on smoothness over features in iOS 17 panes out

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Mine are the following:

on your #1: I think the old way still works...?

on #2: agreed with small modification: turns the screen on way too easily in general, when tap to wake is on. Don't know how to grab the phone properly w/o activating it. So annoying! As very often, Android having been ahead by simply offering "double tap to wake" instead, since forever. Sent ~20 enhancement requests to Apple, all having been ignored until today.

My other one:

home screen management with trembling elements willfully jumping around, and not allowing me to position them where I want is still ridiculous compared to Android's free arrangement. Improvement long overdue.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The "edit home screen" is way too sensitive. It seems that the way I grab my iPhone I grip it too tightly, and inadvertently engage the "edit home screen" feature.

Also, the back tap feature is too sensitive. I have turned it off. I used it to take a screenshot and to turn on the flashlight. I found it awkward to use, and when I "wanted" to take a screenshot or to turn on the flashlight, it wouldn't work consistently. Then when I didn't want to turn my flashlight on or to take a screenshot, I would hear the camera noise, or my flashlight would be on. Annyoing!!!!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
1. The changing the wallpaper thing. Screen is sometimes too sensitive and the Lock Screen gets changed.

2. Some features are buried too deep in settings.

3. Not a gripe, I hope Apple will focus on stability with iOS 17.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Some much needed changes in future releases:

Dock customization to allow smaller / more icons.
Dock pages, allowing to swipe left/right to show more icons to select.
And in both dock pages as well as regular desktop view; having the ability to round robin so no need to endlessly swipe back.
Bring back persistent view of signal strength (-dbm) instead of signal bars!
Ability to show seconds on time in top bar.
To name a few. ;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
on your #1: I think the old way still works...?

on #2: agreed with small modification: turns the screen on way too easily in general, when tap to wake is on. Don't know how to grab the phone properly w/o activating it. So annoying! As very often, Android having been ahead by simply offering "double tap to wake" instead, since forever. Sent ~20 enhancement requests to Apple, all having been ignored until today.

My other one:

home screen management with trembling elements willfully jumping around, and not allowing me to position them where I want is still ridiculous compared to Android's free arrangement. Improvement long overdue.

Where is changing the wallpaper the same as it was in iOS 15?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
#1 - Customization
I loved Nova Launcher when I was on Android. Would love the same with iOS. It will never happen, I know.

#2 - See #1 above.

#3 - See #2 above.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Settings -> Wallpaper -> '+new wallpaper...'
Looks totally identical to previous versions for me

It's not. When you go to add a new homescreen wallpaper, it starts by adding it as lockscreen wallpaper. Before, you could choose a wallpaper in the Photos app, tap share arrow, tap "Use as wallpaper", then it offered the option to use as either lockscreen or homescreen. Initially, it was very confusing, but they made a few changes that made it a bit easier. You can easily change either, but it's not as simple as it used to be. And there's still many who don't like it. I've embraced it, and have about 60 lockscreen/homescreen combos set up. LOL

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not. When you go to add a new homescreen wallpaper, it starts by adding it as lockscreen wallpaper. Before, you could choose a wallpaper in the Photos app, tap share arrow, tap "Use as wallpaper", then it offered the option to use as either lockscreen or homescreen. Initially, it was very confusing, but they made a few changes that made it a bit easier. You can easily change either, but it's not as simple as it used to be. And there's still many who don't like it. I've embraced it, and have about 60 lockscreen/homescreen combos set up. LOL

I agree it’s not difficult, but in my opinion, Apple made a change to a setting that didn’t need changing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree it’s not difficult, but in my opinion, Apple made a change to a setting that didn’t need changing.

They should have left it the same in the Photos app. Then have the new options on the lock screen. I like having the combos I can switch easily. And have a different widget set up and color for each one. I haven't had any issues with the lockscreen being too sensitive. Maybe they should put a longer time on the long press.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Apple find it easier to modify things that work and people are happy with. Otherwise they would have to put some effort into new things that are actually needed, and stop spending money on trying to extract more of their customers hard earned.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine are the following:

Can agree with you on the screen sensitivity. It way to sensitive

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

Well, you said it got changed - in fact it didn't, the option in Settings-Wallpapers was there before and still is.
They removed the option to go through the photos app, and added a new/additional option.
But let's not split hair, the photos app option is gone, and you miss it. Fair.
But going to settings-wallpapers-new wallpaper and then select photos gives you access to your entire photos library and albums with all search functions.
So I think it's not a big deal. But that's just me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR