What are you doing for your online Safety on Smartphones?

HBogard

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
Have been an iPhone user since the 2G launched, now that internet has be a vast cloud, with things like cloud storage, online shopping & payments and what not, is it safe to just rely on the phone security or security patches that comes with firmware update. Recently, my friend told me about how he uses a VPN service on his iphone 24/7 while he is over the web. So now i want to know how do use a service like that on your phone and which service should I go for.

w00cash1020

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Have been an iPhone user since the 2G launched, now that internet has be a vast cloud, with things like cloud storage, online shopping & payments and what not, is it safe to just rely on the phone security or security patches that comes with firmware update. Recently, my friend told me about how he uses a VPN service on his iphone 24/7 while he is over the web. So now i want to know how do use a service like that on your phone and which service should I go for.

You just d/l an app and then when you wanna use it, it conects to some random or selected vpn ip and you remain anonymous while browsing internet. Waste of money/battery/internet speed on an iphone imo.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I tend to put a lot of faith into Apple. They have a closed ecosystem that’s extremely hard to crack, push out security patches very quickly (compared to the competition), and they’re one of the few tech companies that has yet to monetize user data. Furthermore, I get a true sense that Apple values privacy.
With all that being said I still use a VPN whenever I’m on any WiFi network than my own. Why? Because even though I’m confident that my data is safe once it’s in my device I can’t vouch for what happens between my device and whatever I’m connecting to. That’s where I see value in VPN. I personally use VPN Unlimited but there are plenty more out there. Just do your research and don’t pay full price. These VPN serves often run specials with steep discounts.

www.vpnunlimitedapp.com

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I also use a VPN, which used to be Cloak and is now EncryptMe. Works on my laptop and iPhone and automatically turns itself on when not on an approved wifi network.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't use public wifi ever. If I'm not at home I only use my cellular data. That helps. I'm also careful about what random links I click on. I only use sites/apps I trust to keep my data safe.

Breaches are always possible, but a VPN won't help in a server breach either way. I'm generally more concerned with my data being breached through the company's cloud service or servers than anything else. Short of not using those services, we're at the mercy of who we actually share our data with.

I've toyed with the idea of using a VPN, but again for the kind of issues I'm concerned with VPNs wouldn't make a difference.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No VPN here. And I avoid public wireless networks like the plague. Nothing wrong with the extra security a VPN offers. I just don’t personally see a need for it. I keep my home network secure, my work network is even more secure and the chances of my mobile data being intercepted is so low that I don’t really worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2