What are the issues of upgrading a jailbroken iPhone 2G from 1.1.4 to 2.2?

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
I have a jailbroken 2G iPhone running firmware 1.1.4 with lots of downloaded applications, and everything is kosher.

I was thinking of upgrading the firmware to 2.2 (the latest). Research on the net revealed that users *seem* to have encountered a lot of issues with the 2.x firmware, including:
1. Hanging at the boot logo/screen
2. Repeatedly rebooting without ever going past the apple boot logo
3. Vanishing EDGE settings
4. Inability to get past the "Emergency Calls" screen
5. Limited/fewer number of free applications available on 2.2 than 1.1.4
6. iPhone hangs/locks up when sliding the "Slide to Unlock" slider

Are there any more known issues? What are the real risks of upgrading to the 2.2 firmware?

I'd like to leave well enough alone, but I'm tempted by some of the newer apps that have appeared on the iTunes AppStore, and I can't acces the AppStore unless I'm using firmware 2.2.

Any ideas?
TIA.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, if you do the "update" process for a jailbroken iPhone correctly, then you will be fine. Yeah your phone may be a bit slow every once-in-a-while, but I have never had any of the aforementioned issues.

Simply do a clean restore, update, jailbreak, and enjoy! :)

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
I did face a few of these issues when working with a friend to jailbreak his iPhone (2G, 1.1.4 to 2.2).
The iPhone appeared to have been bricked for quite a while, when it wouldn't go past the bootup logo, then seem to hang there, then reboot itself, etc. After we fixed those problems (after numerous restores), the iPhone proceeded to hang at random intervals when sliding the "Slide to Unlock" slider. It would either hang for many minutes (8-12) before unlocking, or reboot itself, or need a hard reboot to get it working.
The EDGE settings had disappeared altogether (couldn't even find the Cellular... network" option).
For the longest time, we sweated bullets, worrying about having bricked the iPhone to a useless state. Even now, the danged phone hangs ever so often.
Naturally I'm as nervous as a hen at KFC.

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
After some difficulty (and 2 retries), I managed to upgrade to 2.2.

Now, when accessing the internet over the wireless, the iPhone has become *SO SLOW*, that I'm tempted... nay... *sorely* tempted to fling it across the room, preferably at something unyielding, like a wall.

Any suggestions or tips on what the problem could be?

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
how many other phones and computers are on the wireless?? is it a bandwidth issue?? I just havent heard of any issues with wifi speed on jailbroken or unjailbroken phones that were caused by the phones.

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
Just one other computer is on the wireless, and it's not a bandwidth issue.

I did another jailbreak, and this time it refused to connect to my wireless ("Could not connect to <<wireless>>"). I had to reset the network settings, and now everything seems fine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
Here's the sordid saga of a sucky sjailbreak (I had to alliterate).

I initially tried jailbreaking with a semi-proven custom firmware file that was posted at MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service and at the Apple News | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, More forums.

That didn't work (meaning that the jailbroken phone had quite a few issues with the EDGE network, wifi, Cydia, etc.).

I then shifted to the regular fw file, followed by a QuickPwn. Most of the errors vanished, except for (1) the wifi problem (2) the refusal of the AppStore app to connect (???even over EDGE) and (3) failure of synchronization using Outlook (outlooksync kept crashing on my PC).

Another restore+jailbreak+unlock fixed all the errors except the wifi's infuriating slowness. Just one other computer was on the wireless, and it wasn't a bandwidth issue.

I did another jailbreak, and this time it refused to connect to my wireless ("Could not connect to <<wireless>>"). I had to reset the network settings, and now everything seems fine.

(Nothing ever comes easy huh?)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like quite a pain but at least you have it working now.

Restores are only going to benefit you if you follow them up with the correct proceedings...do not restore from a back up and follow the steps from the iPhone Dev Team's site ;)

kunalashar

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
My wifi problems turned out to be because of fw 2.2.

A post by a member on another forum mentioned that fw 2.2 has problems with wifi networks that use WEP encryption (apparently it's not even supported in fw 2.2).

I changed my wifi encryption to WPA2-PSK and viola! All the problems vanished. The wifi connectivity that had become shaky, unreliable and slow suddenly righted itself. And I didn't even have to reset my network connections, leave alone do another restore/jailbreak/unlock/reboot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW