Went to an Apple store to address my ongoing NO SIM error...

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i was tired of the nonstop NO SIM error thats been plaguing me lately. ive restored, erased and done everything i could to solve the issue. even followed online tutorials telling you to put tape on the SIM card to prevent it from shorting out (even though i doubt thats the issue). the apple rep was aware of the problem but wouldnt give me a definitive answer if its officially acknowledged by apple as a hardware or software problem. it seems to come randomly, not happening for days and sometimes happening 5 times in 20 minutes. he suggested a replacement device and said it was most likely hardware related, likely the pins in the SIM reader. so i agreed and coughed up the $150 for the out of warranty replacement. he said he was sure i would not have the issue anymore. now i know the issue has happened on the 3GS, 4 and 4S....sometimes the day the phone was bought. so wear and tear doesnt seem like a likely cause. has anyone else got a replacement phone and still had the issue?? of all the research ive done on hundreds of threads all over the internet, there has NEVER been a definitive reason for this occurring, i find it strange that no one has been able to figure this out, especially an official ruling from apple regarding it. any ideas??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why do you have to fork over $150 for a problem you did not cause AND due to the fact that the genius you spoke to acknowledged that other iphone owners are experiencing the same thing? I would have been livid. That is unacceptable!

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Why do you have to fork over $150 for a problem you did not cause AND due to the fact that the genius you spoke to acknowledged that other iphone owners are experiencing the same thing? I would have been livid. That is unacceptable!

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

phone is out of warranty and i dont have applecare

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i was tired of the nonstop NO SIM error thats been plaguing me lately. ive restored, erased and done everything i could to solve the issue. even followed online tutorials telling you to put tape on the SIM card to prevent it from shorting out (even though i doubt thats the issue). the apple rep was aware of the problem but wouldnt give me a definitive answer if its officially acknowledged by apple as a hardware or software problem. it seems to come randomly, not happening for days and sometimes happening 5 times in 20 minutes. he suggested a replacement device and said it was most likely hardware related, likely the pins in the SIM reader. so i agreed and coughed up the $150 for the out of warranty replacement. he said he was sure i would not have the issue anymore. now i know the issue has happened on the 3GS, 4 and 4S....sometimes the day the phone was bought. so wear and tear doesnt seem like a likely cause. has anyone else got a replacement phone and still had the issue?? of all the research ive done on hundreds of threads all over the internet, there has NEVER been a definitive reason for this occurring, i find it strange that no one has been able to figure this out, especially an official ruling from apple regarding it. any ideas??

Did you try replacing the SIM? My son-in-law had the same thing and AT&T replaced the SIM (free) and the problem went away...

g0ld

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Went to the apple store and it seemed like they knew exactly what was going on. I just bought this phone by the way. It is in perfect condition, yet it shows up in the system as 265 days old? Needless to say, they blamed it on the hardware and was trying to make up something about the logic board. Now if the logic board was bad wouldn't the whole phone just go to ****? I guess that didn't make sense in this geniuses head. So now I'm moving onto to customer support and got a claim ticket. I'm going to war with apple when apple is suppose to be the one making my life easier.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I have only had this issue with the very first iPhone 4 that I purchased. I took it into the Apple store in Nashville and they switched it out no problem. Each consecutive phone I've had hasn't had the problem.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
its likely a faulty SIM reader. the phone was originally purchased date of release so its an early model. oh well, havent had the issue with the new one thank god.