Well, that certainly doesn't happen every day

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So my home line rings and the caller ID says Apple Comp Store. Me being me the first thing I think of is scam, so I figured I would answer and have myself a bit of fun with the person on the other end. Ooops... it really is Apple! It was someone from Apple Engineering wanting to touch bases with me regarding a technical issue that I posted about over on the official Apple forums. He did not once ask me for any personal information, and called me by my first name and knew which phone model I had. After less than a minute we both realized I was having a different issue than what he had originally called about. He said no big deal and that he would listen to my issue since he had me on the phone anyway.

He asked me a few dozen questions regarding the persistent spinning circle up on the top left of my phone. I told him all of the steps I had performed and everything I had done to rule out this or that, how often I had factory reset, and what I thought some of the triggers were. He also told me that they could run diagnostics on my cell phone while we were on the home phone, but that it would be a different department. I told him no worries because there were two other issues I had that I wanted to have checked out and that I had planned on making an appointment with the Genius Bar after the holidays.

Long story short; Apple does listen. While they may not be reading iMore they definitely read the official Apple forums.

I've recommended this before to others here on the forums, and have now had an Apple Engineer reiterate it; if you are making an appointment at the Genius Bar, before you go make an encrypted backup and factory reset your phone, and then set it up as new. Apple technicians can help you a lot easier if the phone is set up as new without any 3rd party apps and without any backups being restored. They want a clean install of the OS in order to run the best diagnostics.

I just love Apple! :heart:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Awesome post Sherry! I do know they listen and they care, but it's so good that you posted here, given all the recent Apple criticism!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2