Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - Please report your bugs here!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
well, if my day had 72 hours or so, I would consider checking each page of the cookie prompt to disable cookies that I believe might not be needed technically.

80% of the sites I visit do have a global 'accept necessary' button.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I believe might not be needed technically.
Technically, not needed at all. Legally however is a different story. In any case, I can't replicate your issues and it seems as though no one else is having them, or at the very least hasn't reported the exact same thing so that makes it incredibly hard to troubleshoot your issue. The only other thing I can think of is you're using Apple Private Relay, disable that temporarily and see if that's what causing it. It does cause some odd issues at times.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I disabled Private Relay, restarted Safari and the popups still show on every single page flip or return to previous page.
I also tried Firefox - same problem.

To summarize:
  • I always 'reject all' cookies (everywhere) - unless there is an option to 'allow technically necessary' (not in iMore)
  • I'm not going to disable/allow multiple cookies manually, one by one.
  • I only have Bitwarden and Pocket installed as Safari extensions.
  • Disabling Private Relay, clear cache, restart Safari or even the Mac doesn't help.
  • I do not have this problem on any other site that I visit regularly.
  • the cookie prompt problem apparently does not occur in the iMore forums, but in the blog pages only.
  • the problem does not occur in Safari on the iPhone (I have to reject once per session, and it does not come back on any link tapped or return to any other page). It only shows in Safari on the Macbook with Ventura 13.3.1.
If I'm the only one having this problem, then I'll have to live with it for the time being - the consequence for me is to not visiting the site as often as I used to (which is sad for me but not a big deal for the site, I understand that), as this drives me mad. Bummer.

P.S. at least, the forum's side menu has no longer disappeared since quite a while now 👍

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I disabled Private Relay, restarted Safari and the popups still show on every single page flip or return to previous page.
I also tried Firefox - same problem.

To summarize:
  • I always 'reject all' cookies (everywhere) - unless there is an option to 'allow technically necessary' (not in iMore)
  • I'm not going to disable/allow multiple cookies manually, one by one.
  • I only have Bitwarden and Pocket installed as Safari extensions.
  • Disabling Private Relay, clear cache, restart Safari or even the Mac doesn't help.
  • I do not have this problem on any other site that I visit regularly.
  • the cookie prompt problem apparently does not occur in the iMore forums, but in the blog pages only.
  • the problem does not occur in Safari on the iPhone (I have to reject once per session, and it does not come back on any link tapped or return to any other page). It only shows in Safari on the Macbook with Ventura 13.3.1.
If I'm the only one having this problem, then I'll have to live with it for the time being - the consequence for me is to not visiting the site as often as I used to (which is sad for me but not a big deal for the site, I understand that), as this drives me mad. Bummer.

P.S. at least, the forum's side menu has no longer disappeared since quite a while now

I have tied to reproduce your behaviour on macOS Safari, and I couldn’t. I never get prompted for accepting cookies, even in Private Browsing mode

I can’t recall, but have you tried Private Browsing?

Reactions: Annie_M

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I have tied to reproduce your behaviour on macOS Safari, and I couldn’t. I never get prompted for accepting cookies, even in Private Browsing mode

I can’t recall, but have you tried Private Browsing?
Lucky you!

Interesting: I just opened iMore in a private window as per your question. And it behaved just like safari on the iPhone: cookie prompt on the main page - reject all - and no more cookie prompt when linking to an article, returning to previous etc.

Thanks for the idea!

I don't want to speculate why this prompt madness only happens in non-private windows...but it feels strange.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Suddenly, no mor popups came, and then this happened:

So basically, the main blog site was frozen.
Nor other site nor the iMore forum were frozen.
Console at the time this happened:

console.jpeg

Will restart Safari now, usually the site will work again afterwards.

🤷🏽‍♂️

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Suddenly, no mor popups came, and then this happened:

So basically, the main blog site was frozen.
Nor other site nor the iMore forum were frozen.
Console at the time this happened:

View attachment 132471

Will restart Safari now, usually the site will work again afterwards.

🤷🏽‍♂️
@Bla1ze I hope this can help the site devs :)

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Cookie prompt madness (on every single page flip, return etc.) resumed in the private window, so back to regular non-private window.

Then, the issue with the side bar on the forums page not showing reoccurred, as reported earlier. Also when hamburger menu selected. See picture A.

Then, on the iMore main page, the scrolling freeze reoccured, as reported earlier. See picture B. You can see that the scrolling bars no longer show there is something further down the page (see red arrow). All other open pages/tabs react correctly.

The console log taken at the time when these errors occurred are on picture C.

These 2 issues can only get fixed by a Safari restart.
Clearing the cache did not help either.

Last, but not least, picture D shows the empty ad bar that basically always comes up and moves with scrolling. It's always empty, and can be removed by clicking the X, but it's annoying. This screenshot was NOT taken at the time the console screenshot (C) was taken.

The annyoing thing is that this happens on a Mac and in Safari - and as stated before, I think these pages/apps of an Apple blog site should run best in an Apple environment.

A:
A.jpeg

B:
B.jpeg

C:
C.jpg

D:
D.jpeg

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
@Bla1ze - I'm noticing that all posts that I've made today are not showing up under my content. My post count is going up, but when I look for my content, I'm only seeing posts made before today.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice