Weather Bug still a great Weather App

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I remember back in my early Blackberry days, one of the first weather apps I used was the Weather Bug app. I have used this app for many years, both the Apple and Android versions.

It gives me critical weather update notifications, weather maps and long range forecast. I remember when they sent me a message saying they where no longer supporting the Blackberry version which bummed me out.

But they have continued to update the Apple and Android versions and has become a popular weather app on both platforms.

For those of you looking for a simple, straightforward and free weather app, this one might be the one your looking for. Just thought I would pass it along.

ebf8ede3722844d9c9fe629cecf62d08.jpg

36ab07c2d24fa917edab6d219ff09224.jpg

d6e6a698b3ad8e6cd05b749f7fb6b99b.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Weather Bug was one of the first weather apps I downloaded when I got my first iPhone in 2012. I recall at that time, it was very similar to the Weather Channel app. I haven't used it in over 6 years. There are many good weather apps now. The one I rely on most for data, reports, alerts, and videos is my local news channel's weather app. WAFF First Alert. The others are mostly for the look or customization of some kind.
I also like the Emergency app. It alerts for weather and other things that happen, like fire hazards, hazardous materials warning, and volcanic ashfall. I hope I never see that last one.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I also had this app for years. I stopped using it years ago due to the many advertisements when there are other weather apps just as good that don't require a yearly subscription for add removal.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have it on my MacBook Pro.
You can have the temp always display at the very top of the screen in the menu bar - or whatever that horizontal bar is called at the top :)
Good Luck

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I have CARROT Weather with the snark turned off because I had a moment in the doctor's office where I accidently activated CARROT on my Apple Watch. LOL. There was clutching of pearls and some "oh mys" from the ladies behind the desk. So I turned it off.

I also have a lifetime subscription to Hello Weather whose app design I like better, it's cleaner. But the automations with Shortcuts is wayyyyy better on CARROT Weather.

CARROT:
IMG_3100.JPG

Hello Weather:
IMG_3101.JPG

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I tried this in the past, before I got an Apple Watch, and it worked great.

Can anyone tell me if location updates automatically on Apple Watch with this app? So far, Carrot is the only one I've come across that will update location and weather on AW without me having to open the app.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I've ued it since Windows Phone days. It's the only weather app on my Nokia Icon, LG 7ThinQ and iPhone 10X. Love it and highly recommend it to anyone with either of the two IOS'.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I mostly use weather channel. Or Accu Weather. But I have all of them installed to get all prospective on forecast.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I, too, used to use the Weather Bug app years ago, but I haven’t used it in a long time. There were concerns during my old Blackberry days of it being spyware/adware or associated with an entity that dealt with that stuff. I don’t remember the particulars.

As an app, I really liked it, but again, it’s been a long time since I’ve used it.

Right now, I use the following three apps and have been for quite some time.

The Weather Channel (paid subscriber)
BeWeather
Dark Sky

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I, too, used to use the Weather Bug app years ago, but I haven’t used it in a long time. There were concerns during my old Blackberry days of it being spyware/adware or associated with an entity that dealt with that stuff. I don’t remember the particulars.

As an app, I really liked it, but again, it’s been a long time since I’ve used it.

Right now, I use the following three apps and have been for quite some time.

The Weather Channel (paid subscriber)
BeWeather
Dark Sky

I am also a paid Weather Channel subscriber and BeWeather is also a great app and if memory serves me, I also used it on Blackberry OS10.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried this in the past, before I got an Apple Watch, and it worked great.

Can anyone tell me if location updates automatically on Apple Watch with this app? So far, Carrot is the only one I've come across that will update location and weather on AW without me having to open the app.

Dark sky does this

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Several years ago, I remember my husband "wigging out" when he learned that I had installed Weather Bug on my PC at work. I had installed a shortcut icon in my system tray. He had a Blackberry at the time and was concerned about the potential spyware/adware.

I have so many Weather Apps that I think I'll stick with those.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Several years ago, I remember my husband "wigging out" when he learned that I had installed Weather Bug on my PC at work. I had installed a shortcut icon in my system tray. He had a Blackberry at the time and was concerned about the potential spyware/adware.

I have so many Weather Apps that I think I'll stick with those.

I remember this.