Waterproof cases?

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Really having a hard time determining if there is a waterproof case for the iPhone 7 that will meet my needs. I know most of the manufacturers don't have their iPhone 7 models out yet which makes it more difficult to choose.

I know - the phone is already water resistant. But my job entails a lot of outdoor work and manual labor and I need something to keep it protected. Right now I'm using the Otterbox Defender which is great for me for durability, but I'm having to take the case off a few times a week to clean the dust and moisture out from underneath. Just the sweat and dust from my pockets is getting inside the case. I'd like something I can just rinse off at the end of the day.

Any recommendations for waterproof cases that work well?

Many of the online reviews I've watched don't seem to assess performance over time. They're just unboxing and general observations.

My top priority is sound quality (which I know tends to suffer with the waterproof cases). So I'd probably select the one that has the best sound quality for phone calls and speakerphone. My old Otterbox Preserver for my iPhone 5 was not so good in this dimension. Manufacturers have got to be making improvements here by now.

My next priority is touch screen usability. I watch many videos which air gaps and loss of control of the touch screen on the waterproof cases.

Bulkiness is at the bottom of my list of concerns. My phone is a tool for me, and the size generally doesn't phase me.

Currently, I'm considering/waiting for one of the following: Dog and Bone Wetsuit Impact, Pelican Marine, and Ghostek Atomic 3. All reviews for earlier models have been severely mixed.

Waiting on the Lifeproof cases as well, but I've never been a fan after bad experiences with the initial runs for the iPhone 5.

Thanks in advance.

And Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I recommend the Lifeproof. I just did a review for them on their FRĒ case. They have come a long way since the 5. My review was for my iPhone 6. My son has one on his iPhone 5s and it was hit or miss with the volume. But it is as waterproof as they come. The Frē I had on my 6 was never an issue with the volume, It was solid in all areas for waterproof, dust, snow and drop.

Like I stated they have come a long way. Screen response is good, button response is good and can easily be run under water at the end of the day without having to worry. Lifeproof already has the Frē available for the 7. I can't give you an opinion on the others as I have never used them.

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I recommend the Lifeproof. I just did a review for them on their FRĒ case. They have come a long way since the 5. My review was for my iPhone 6. My son has one on his iPhone 5s and it was hit or miss with the volume. But it is as waterproof as they come. The Frē I had on my 6 was never an issue with the volume, It was solid in all areas for waterproof, dust, snow and drop.

Like I stated they have come a long way. Screen response is good, button response is good and can easily be run under water at the end of the day without having to worry. Lifeproof already has the Frē available for the 7. I can't give you an opinion on the others as I have never used them.

Thanks, I'll add the Fre to my list of considerations.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Take a look at this one:

http://a.co/hXIIm8y

I think it's one of the best for that kind of use you need.

I think it's too soon for a scuba housing for the iPhone 7 (believe me I am looking for a good one) but the one of the link has most of what anybody might need ever.

alphatectz

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Take a look at this one:

http://a.co/hXIIm8y

I think it's one of the best for that kind of use you need.

I think it's too soon for a scuba housing for the iPhone 7 (believe me I am looking for a good one) but the one of the link has most of what anybody might need ever.

I heard that life proofs good, haven't tried them out, but I know they can be pricy.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I heard that life proofs good, haven't tried them out, but I know they can be pricy.

Well no matter how good or bad the brand is, I always test the cases of everything filling in with paper and not with the phone the first time, I saved a camera in a scuba case because of that, was rated to 100ft deep and at 45ft the water found the way in, but having not the camera was a relief.

alphatectz

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Well no matter how good or bad the brand is, I always test the cases of everything filling in with paper and not with the phone the first time, I saved a camera in a scuba case because of that, was rated to 100ft deep and at 45ft the water found the way in, but having not the camera was a relief.

I see. I would of done the same.

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Giving a shot to the Lifeproof Fre because it's available and on sale. Should have it Thursday. Looks like they've made some improvements to the previous models, including new speaker ports. Will report back.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Since this thread is about waterproof cases specifically I wanted to share a link with you guys to a video I made in anticipation of a competition review between the Fre the Nuud and the Pelican Marine. Just looking for input as to what to look for when reviewing them and putting them against each other to declare a winner.

https://youtu.be/c_L7Mgghbok

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Giving a shot to the Lifeproof Fre because it's available and on sale. Should have it Thursday. Looks like they've made some improvements to the previous models, including new speaker ports. Will report back.

So what are your thoughts about the Lifeproof Fre?

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
So what are your thoughts about the Lifeproof Fre?

I forgot to return with my review! I'll repost what I put on Amazon:

I just changed from an Otterbox Defender to the Lifeproof Fre, and I thought I would share some of my impressions and comparisons to the case I was using.

PROS:
* Case tested waterproof before I installed the phone, so it works.
* Case is slim and light in comparison to the Otterbox Defender.
* Button tactile feedback is good for the volume and sleep/wake buttons. My ringer/silent switch works just fine.
* No issues with the fingerprint sensor on the home button at all. Work just as good as with the case off.
* Touchscreen response is good - as good or maybe even slightly better than my Otterbox, where I would occasionally miss the spacebar and keys at that level, for some reason.
* I notice the slight elevation of the screen protector around the home button (as other reviews mention), but I don't see that as an issue.
* Sound quality seems to be very good in the couple of phone calls and speakerphone calls I've made. I've asked - and no one has told me that I sound distant or muffled. Earpiece sound quality and speakerphone sound quality are both good. My last waterproof case was an older Lifeproof and they have definitely made an improvement here (based upon my limited testing). This was perhaps my most significant criteria for a waterproof case.

CONS:
* For some reason, it took me forever to get the case on without dust under the screen protector. I don't know if it was some manufacturing debris or the included cloth, but there was always a piece or two of dust that annoyed me. I finally used some compressed air to blow off the phone and out of the case and got it debris-free.
* Screen protector does have some mild rainbows. Not the worst I've seen on a phone case.
* Screen protector is glossy, the one on my Otterbox Defender was a bit more matte. As a result, cannot see the screen at all from an angle when in bright lights (very reflective), must look dead-on. I usually keep my phone on my desk or the table at work to get a quick look at notifications that come in. With the Otterbox I could always see it from an angle at a distance; I've found I've had to pick up the phone to read with the Fre. I'll be curious to see how it does in bright sun.
* Screen protector is somewhat wavy. Though it doesn't affect the touch screen sensitivity, it does cause the display to look slightly distorted if you catch it at an angle.
* I had to open the case a few times to get the dust out from installation. Even using the enclosed "key" tool to do so, the plastic on the bottom right corner of the case got a little chewed up. I suppose this is like the first dent on a new car - over time the rest of the case will wear to match.
* The Fre is much more hard plastic, and less rubbery than the Otterbox, so it does tend to slip from my hands and slide on desks/tables a little more than the Otterbox. I prefer a rubbery case with more stiction.
* The case is slim and light in comparison to the Otterbox Defender. Though I highlighted this as a PRO - and it probably will be for most - the phone doesn't feel as well protected as it did in the Otterbox. I've always been one to be OK with the larger size of a phone case if I felt it would give me a higher sense of security.

CONCERNS:
* I can't say the charging port door will eventually fail, but it does seem like it will be a weak point at the hinge and the seal over time.
* The silent/ringer switch was the first piece to fail on my older Lifeproof and as this appears to be of the same design, I expect this will also be a potential place for the new Fre case to fail long before the phone is at end of useful life.
* The edge around the fingerprint sensor is a little sharp as it drops in to the recess. No issue functionally, but it might bother me over time.

Too early to say if I'm going to keep the Lifeproof over the Otterbox. My primary reason for switching was that dust and moisture were getting under the screen protector on the Otterbox - just from being in my pocket - based upon some of the work I do on a daily basis. I was removing it from the case every few days to clean it up. I like that I can potentially just run the Fre under the tap and wipe it off if it gets dirty, and not have to worry about sweat and dirt making its way so close to the phone. I'm going to give it some time before making a decision.

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Since this thread is about waterproof cases specifically I wanted to share a link with you guys to a video I made in anticipation of a competition review between the Fre the Nuud and the Pelican Marine. Just looking for input as to what to look for when reviewing them and putting them against each other to declare a winner.

https://youtu.be/c_L7Mgghbok

Sound quality under all conditions (earpiece, speaker, person on the other end of your phone call, etc.). This is key.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to return with my review! I'll repost what I put on Amazon:

I just changed from an Otterbox Defender to the Lifeproof Fre, and I thought I would share some of my impressions and comparisons to the case I was using.

PROS:
* Case tested waterproof before I installed the phone, so it works.
* Case is slim and light in comparison to the Otterbox Defender.
* Button tactile feedback is good for the volume and sleep/wake buttons. My ringer/silent switch works just fine.
* No issues with the fingerprint sensor on the home button at all. Work just as good as with the case off.
* Touchscreen response is good - as good or maybe even slightly better than my Otterbox, where I would occasionally miss the spacebar and keys at that level, for some reason.
* I notice the slight elevation of the screen protector around the home button (as other reviews mention), but I don't see that as an issue.
* Sound quality seems to be very good in the couple of phone calls and speakerphone calls I've made. I've asked - and no one has told me that I sound distant or muffled. Earpiece sound quality and speakerphone sound quality are both good. My last waterproof case was an older Lifeproof and they have definitely made an improvement here (based upon my limited testing). This was perhaps my most significant criteria for a waterproof case.

CONS:
* For some reason, it took me forever to get the case on without dust under the screen protector. I don't know if it was some manufacturing debris or the included cloth, but there was always a piece or two of dust that annoyed me. I finally used some compressed air to blow off the phone and out of the case and got it debris-free.
* Screen protector does have some mild rainbows. Not the worst I've seen on a phone case.
* Screen protector is glossy, the one on my Otterbox Defender was a bit more matte. As a result, cannot see the screen at all from an angle when in bright lights (very reflective), must look dead-on. I usually keep my phone on my desk or the table at work to get a quick look at notifications that come in. With the Otterbox I could always see it from an angle at a distance; I've found I've had to pick up the phone to read with the Fre. I'll be curious to see how it does in bright sun.
* Screen protector is somewhat wavy. Though it doesn't affect the touch screen sensitivity, it does cause the display to look slightly distorted if you catch it at an angle.
* I had to open the case a few times to get the dust out from installation. Even using the enclosed "key" tool to do so, the plastic on the bottom right corner of the case got a little chewed up. I suppose this is like the first dent on a new car - over time the rest of the case will wear to match.
* The Fre is much more hard plastic, and less rubbery than the Otterbox, so it does tend to slip from my hands and slide on desks/tables a little more than the Otterbox. I prefer a rubbery case with more stiction.
* The case is slim and light in comparison to the Otterbox Defender. Though I highlighted this as a PRO - and it probably will be for most - the phone doesn't feel as well protected as it did in the Otterbox. I've always been one to be OK with the larger size of a phone case if I felt it would give me a higher sense of security.

CONCERNS:
* I can't say the charging port door will eventually fail, but it does seem like it will be a weak point at the hinge and the seal over time.
* The silent/ringer switch was the first piece to fail on my older Lifeproof and as this appears to be of the same design, I expect this will also be a potential place for the new Fre case to fail long before the phone is at end of useful life.
* The edge around the fingerprint sensor is a little sharp as it drops in to the recess. No issue functionally, but it might bother me over time.

Too early to say if I'm going to keep the Lifeproof over the Otterbox. My primary reason for switching was that dust and moisture were getting under the screen protector on the Otterbox - just from being in my pocket - based upon some of the work I do on a daily basis. I was removing it from the case every few days to clean it up. I like that I can potentially just run the Fre under the tap and wipe it off if it gets dirty, and not have to worry about sweat and dirt making its way so close to the phone. I'm going to give it some time before making a decision.

If you bought one in the November time frame I recommend contacting Lifeproof for a replacement under warranty. The screen protector wasn't top notch, and they admitted it vaguely (if you brought it up). I wanted another color so I bought another LP against my better wishes and the screen protector was tons and tons better.

Called up Lifeproof to get a replacement for my original purchase and they sent me the wrong color, but the screen protector was brilliant and clear. They're shipping me the correct color and letting me hang on to the mistaken color they sent me.

co_mtn_grl

May 4, 2014
Visit site
If you bought one in the November time frame I recommend contacting Lifeproof for a replacement under warranty. The screen protector wasn't top notch, and they admitted it vaguely (if you brought it up). I wanted another color so I bought another LP against my better wishes and the screen protector was tons and tons better.

Called up Lifeproof to get a replacement for my original purchase and they sent me the wrong color, but the screen protector was brilliant and clear. They're shipping me the correct color and letting me hang on to the mistaken color they sent me.

Another option is the Catalyst case. I have both Lifeproof and Catalyst and they each have pros and cons but the Catalyst seems a bit more protective.

https://www.catalystcase.com

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Anyone here is the fre daily ? If so how well is it holding up ? I'm really considering this for my 7 plus , now I'm using the apple leather and silicone

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR