water damage..

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Well me being an idiot, I threw my pants in the washer with the iphone still in pocket (original 2g) and now it works...only when hooked up to the charger. It worked perfectly fine for one night, it it completely useless? anyting I can do? thanks, neil

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not much at this point - you should have let it dry out for a day or two without turning it on at all. If you bring it to Apple they will see that there is water damage right away and will not touch it. At least not for free.

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I let it dry for 3 or 4 days, when I said the first night, I meant after I first tryed it. So it is possible for Apple to fix it for a fee? I Dont mind paying.

mustangr2

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
my wife's iPhone was water damaged. Apple will not give you a new phone. We got another one. I saved the phone. It's been sitting for a couple of months. Decided to charge it one day see if it still worked and it did. Had the same problem as you at first too. Charged it and seemed find but as soon as I unplugged it. It died. Try to dry it out for a couple of days.

Skywalker

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I would try the rice thing. I had a friend put a phone through the wash and he was told to try submerging it in rice. He did not use a ziplock; he used a tall bowl with alot of rice. It actually worked after two days submerged!

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
rice worked for me. my phone went for a swim in the toilet. i let it sit in the rice for 48 hours and everything worked (including the camera) at that point but the screen appeared to have a few wet spots. 24 hrs after that i couldnt get the phone to stay on. i let it sit in the rice 3 more days and now it works fine. a few pixels are dead and the camera no longer works but i think i can live with that until this summer when (hopefully) a new iphone comes out.

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
miraculously the camera is working fine now! so aside for a few brighter specks on the screen it's in fine working order. i absolutely can't believe it!

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
about a month and a half ago i stupidly dropped my iphone in the toilet, let it sit in rice a few days and it ended up working completely fine, it just had a few dead pixels. this past week the screen started turning mostly white with black moving lines across it. i could still sort of see the icons/buttons and use the phone and it would eventually go back to normal. it did this yesterday and this time has not recovered. could this have anything to do with the previous water damage? any advice? should i just give up and wait til the new iphone comes out this summer?

msimplicity

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Well me being an idiot, I threw my pants in the washer with the iphone still in pocket (original 2g) and now it works...only when hooked up to the charger. It worked perfectly fine for one night, it it completely useless? anyting I can do? thanks, neil

That sucks. I dropped mine in a salt water pool last week while i was on vacation. I let it dry for a day and everything worked again. It wouldn't even turn off after I took it out of the pool! I'd shut it down and it would just boot itself back up immediately. So weird. Anyways, good luck!

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
As long as it was dropped in just water it should be fine once it drys off. msimplicity that's awesome that it worked after being in salt water, i'd assume the salt would damage the circuit board.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Water Damage Policy

Apple Just changed the policy and now for 199 they will give you a new or refurbished phone without extending contract.

Ghecko

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I let it dry for 3 or 4 days, when I said the first night, I meant after I first tryed it. So it is possible for Apple to fix it for a fee? I Dont mind paying.

Well i have seen tricks where people would take a lollipop stick and put white- out that puts white over pen marks on paper on the end then stick down the head phone jack, if you look inside your earphone jack you will see a red dot meaning water damaged if it is white it is not damged by water the apple store looks at the dot, and if they it is white then they give you a new iphone.

So put "White-out" inside at the bottom of your ear phone jack water damaged phone, then it will cover the red dot with white, looking like no water damage ever occurred

If i helped you Positive Rep points dont hurt :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice