Water damage indicator - is it easily seen/obvious if it turns red ?

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I pulled out the SIM card and used an LED flashlight to look into the slot towards the screen side and the 3 white dots are visible, but I do not see any red indicator.

I'm wondering how obvious or clear it would be to see if the indicator actually turned red? Is it located just inside the SIM card slot or is it very deep inside the slot?

Mine fell out of my pocket and fell into the pool (<3 feet deep, kiddie wading pool). I shook it and turned it off for 3 days to dry out and tried the restore&set up-as-new, but no luck (error code 4013).

I'm taking it into the Apple Store and hoping I can get a replacement, but wanted to check for myself before going in whether the water damage indicator was actually tripped.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the water damage indicator can’t be seen without opening the phone. If I remember correctly that is, I believe it is up at the top of the screen portion of the phone.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the water damage indicator can’t be seen without opening the phone. If I remember correctly that is, I believe it is up at the top of the screen portion of the phone.

As per Apple, the LCI water damage indicator is located inside the SIM card slot.

I do not see the red strip, so I think my phone will be able to get replaced under warranty, but just wanted to check with the folks here who may have experienced this problem.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Water resistant =/= waterproof.

With an IPx7 water resistance rating, the X is supposed to withstand immersion in water up to one meter (3.3 ft) for 30 minutes. But that was in lab testing conditions. Not sure who did the testing. But Apple gives this warning.
To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:
Swimming or bathing with your iPhone

Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on

Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room

Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water

Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
This! I had them replace a 700 iPad Pro, that had physical damage! I was 100% honest with them.

I just got back from the Genius Bar and no such luck.

It turns out, the water damage indicator was tripped and so it would cost me $549 for a replacement phone. The tech was able to perform a "deeper hardware recovery mode reboot" that got the phone up and running. However, I made the mistake of turning it off when I got home to charge it and it is now stuck again in DFU mode. :(

I may try going to another Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can either reboot or perhaps replace under warranty, but not holding my breath on this one.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I may try going to another Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can either reboot or perhaps replace under warranty, but not holding my breath on this one.

I'm pretty sure that any Apple Store tech will see the notes of your previous visit, so will know already that the phone was wet.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I just got back from the Genius Bar and no such luck.

It turns out, the water damage indicator was tripped and so it would cost me $549 for a replacement phone. The tech was able to perform a "deeper hardware recovery mode reboot" that got the phone up and running. However, I made the mistake of turning it off when I got home to charge it and it is now stuck again in DFU mode. :(

549 for an iPhone X? That actually sounds like a pretty good deal, all things considered. Unless you want to get an older used iPhone, you won't get a much better price. If you don't mind Android there are some decent models you can get for around 200.

OOO just thought of this, did you use American Express or another credit card to pay for the phone? Sometimes they provide accidental damage insurance. Check with your card company.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Still hard to believe that Apple can make a watch you can swim with but not a phone that can't withstand a drop in a pool.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Still hard to believe that Apple can make a watch you can swim with but not a phone that can't withstand a drop in a pool.

The Watch sits on your wrist all day long, isn’t put on surfaces, in pockets and whatnot. Those are actions that may get the waterproofing seal let loose of the already big surface of a phone.

The size of the watch is ideal to waterproof. That of an iPhone is not so much.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Watch sits on your wrist all day long, isn’t put on surfaces, in pockets and whatnot. Those are actions that may get the waterproofing seal let loose of the already big surface of a phone.

Obviously you have not seen me wear a watch! I'm constantly banging it in to things! lol

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
That's a bummer, very disappointed to hear it can't withstand a dunk in a kiddie pool. Did you put it in rice when you did your 3 day dry out? Good luck getting it replaced.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

My watch easily takes more damage than my phone does lol. I'm constantly bumping my wrist at work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73