FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If I wasn’t getting an ultra 2 I defiantly would have. Rumor is the s9 is now 5 or 4 mm.

7893b089df1b6102abdd2c9252f98751.png

bc616ee0355060cac18ea6f46da78fbf.png

96fd2334cce8c62f7c6e56401fcde977.png

524cd66500c3317a563b9a8eb4d13b70.png

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered myself a 41mm Apple Watch Series 9 GPS in midnight, to complement my Space Grey 40mm Apple Watch Series 5 GPS. The Series 5 will become the night watch, because the autonomy is 10 hours on its best days.

The only new feature that I can see is the Blood Oxymeter. The other two are improvements: GPS and brighter display.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Just_Me_D

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered myself a 41mm Apple Watch Series 9 GPS in midnight, to complement my Space Grey 40mm Apple Watch Series 5 GPS. The Series 5 will become the night watch, because the autonomy is 10 hours on its best days.

The only new feature that I can see is the Blood Oxymeter. The other two are improvements: GPS and brighter display.

Am I missing something?
Congratulations! I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Am I missing something?
According to Apple's website, the improvements in the 9 series include: 1) new processor (faster S9 chip), 2) double tap (this was the main feature demonstrated at launch), 3) 2X brighter display, 4) on-device Siri processing, 5) better integration with Homepod, 6) more precision in Find-My, and 7) carbon neutral. Other new features are associated with the new OS and thus go to existing watches as well.

Reactions: doogald

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
According to Apple's website, the improvements in the 9 series include: 1) new processor (faster S9 chip), 2) double tap (this was the main feature demonstrated at launch), 3) 2X brighter display, 4) on-device Siri processing, 5) better integration with Homepod, 6) more precision in Find-My, and 7) carbon neutral. Other new features are associated with the new OS and thus go to existing watches as well.
So… for fun, I tested this on both my Series 5 and 9. In the same order:
  1. I don't see a performance difference between the S5 and S9. It doesn't mean there isn't any, but it is unnoticeable from my experience in the past 24 hours.
  2. Yup. I literally missed it on the Specs page.
  3. I did mention it ;) In practice, it seems brighter, but the Series 5 screen was already bright enough.
  4. The Apple Watch Series 5 does already on-device Siri processing. It's not new to the Apple Watch Series 9. To convince myself, I put them both in fully disconnected mode, and asked them questions not requiring any Internet service; both replied correctly.
  5. It doesn't seem my Apple Watch Series 9 supports that. It doesn't even bring the Now Playing screen when something's playing on my HomePods.
  6. Yup, confirmed.
  7. Not exactly a feature of the device per se, as much as the manufacturing process ;)
I'm going to give myself a week, and I'll give my thoughts then.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
So… for fun, I tested this on both my Series 5 and 9. In the same order:
  1. I don't see a performance difference between the S5 and S9. It doesn't mean there isn't any, but it is unnoticeable from my experience in the past 24 hours.
  2. Yup. I literally missed it on the Specs page.
  3. I did mention it ;) In practice, it seems brighter, but the Series 5 screen was already bright enough.
  4. The Apple Watch Series 5 does already on-device Siri processing. It's not new to the Apple Watch Series 9. To convince myself, I put them both in fully disconnected mode, and asked them questions not requiring any Internet service; both replied correctly.
  5. It doesn't seem my Apple Watch Series 9 supports that. It doesn't even bring the Now Playing screen when something's playing on my HomePods.
  6. Yup, confirmed.
  7. Not exactly a feature of the device per se, as much as the manufacturing process ;)
I'm going to give myself a week, and I'll give my thoughts then.
1. I know what you mean. I have an S6 and an Ultra and can't really see a performance difference. If something happens almost instantly, then 25% faster is hard to notice. :)
3. I do appreciate the brightness difference between the S6 and the Ultra, especially when running or diving.
4. Hmm. I didn't think my S6 did on-device Siri. Maybe that's because I've only got now response when I ask a question that requires internet.

For me, the most important feature in years (not including the Ultra) has been always on display, which of course you have in the S5. It's why I've had no inclination to update my S6.

Reactions: EdwinG

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup