Want to switch from Android - other people that have how do you get used to it?

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a note 8 and a pixel 2xl...I like the phones but all of my friends have iPhones and I want to switch.

I have in the past but end up returning the phone within a week. How do I get past my buyers remorse period and get used to the phone?

I'm asking because these are the biggest things I don't like-

1. The way apps like Reddit work.

2. No default apps

3. No customizing the way it looks on the software side.

I realize the first 2 are something I can get over but the customization is hard. Those of you that changed from Android how hard was it for you to get used to it?

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I would say that first you have to give it more than one week. This really isn’t enough time to get comfortable with a new OS.

I can’t speak on Reddit because I don’t use it, so I have no opinion.

What exactly do you mean by default apps? Apple has default apps for internet, mail, notes and messaging. I’m sure that there are more that I haven’t listed. Plus most apps available on Android are available in the Apple Store, so you could just download them.

Lack of customization is something that you have to accept when you switch from Android to iOS. It just is what it is. If customization is a big thing for you maybe iOS isn’t for you.

I would definitely say that you should only make the switch because you want to and not because everyone else around you is on iOS. If you are contemplating switching for others you’ll never really be happy because it isn’t a decision that you are making for you but instead you are making it to be like everyone else around you.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you are happy with Android, then stick with it.
Give iOS a try for a week or so, and if you don’t like it, then you can simply return it :)

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You have two nice phones there, I was into customizing Android and Roms too. When I switched I kept the Nexus 5 and HTC One at the time so I had Android to play with. Picked up iPhone 5s and slowly made the transition. Now I'm all iPhone mainly same reason all family and friends are iPhone too.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have a note 8 and a pixel 2xl...I like the phones but all of my friends have iPhones and I want to switch.

I have in the past but end up returning the phone within a week. How do I get past my buyers remorse period and get used to the phone?

I'm asking because these are the biggest things I don't like-

1. The way apps like Reddit work.

I can't help you with this one since I do not use Reddit. :(

2. No default apps

There are 35 built in default apps. A good portion of those can be uninstalled. Also, if you end up getting a new iPhone from your carrier there are no bloatware carrier apps. Apple does not allow it.

3. No customizing the way it looks on the software side.

This was hard to get use to at first, but now I do not miss it.

I realize the first 2 are something I can get over but the customization is hard. Those of you that changed from Android how hard was it for you to get used to it?

I use to spend hours upon hours in Adobe Photoshop creating tons of little images for my Android phone so that I could have a custom UI. This is something I seriously enjoyed. But then the time came where I had to make a decision, based on Googles bad choices, on whether or not I wanted a truly secure phone with frequent OS updates that were sent regardless of the age of my phone. I turned off my Android device with it's rooted/custom ROM and familiar UI customizations and tossed it in the drawer, went to the Apple store and bought myself an unlocked iPhone 6s. I now own one of the 8 Plus models and am completely enamored with it. I do not regret my decision.

Sincerely speaking; if you want customization then stay with Android. If you want true security, no bloatware, and regular OS updates regardless of the age of your device then get an iPhone. :D

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I recently picked up the 8Plus coming from a few years of Android, and a few years of Windows Phone before that. I can say that the transition from Android to iOS was much smoother than I was expecting. The Google ecosystem integrates nicely into iOS so I didn't lose any data or functionality other than Google Assistant which I rarely used. My last 2 devices were S8 Plus then the Note 8. They were excellent devices and in no way did I feel they were inferior to iPhones, I merely wanted to give iOS a fair shake this year. I don't subscribe to the one is better than the other way of thinking.

I use my phone primarily for work apps and a little social media. I never really spent a lot of time customizing my Android phones with the exception of Nova Launcher on occasion, especially with boring LGUX. Anyway, that aspect of Android was not a big factor in my phone preference but I do appreciate the endless customization options.

The inability to make a 3rd party app a default app is not a huge deal for me, the built in apps all work well. The only major app I would even consider switching on Android was the messaging app, and if you aren't using iMessage on iOS you might as well not bother with iPhone.

Overall I'm very happy in iOS. Will I get another Android? Of course I will. I love tech and while iOS is cool, they only offer one (or in this case 2) models a year. That's a long time for me to stick with a phone :)

iPhone vs the latest Android devices is an even playing field where personal preference is really the key to what will work best for you. If you prefer function over form, iOS wins hands down in my book. If the reverse is true for you, then you would probably be frustrated with iOS today.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Long time Android user here who talked smack about iOS for years.
But because I love all things tech I got the itch to try an iPhone. Got my 6S Plus a little over a year ago ( with a lot of trepidation) and was surprised how much I have liked it.
I also customized the wazoo out of my Androids and loved it but could never leave it alone. Just the fact I could change it so much kept me always thinking I could tweak it a little more as it would be even better. It never ended!
I could almost say it’s been a relief to not be able to change too much. Lol!
But the biggest surprise is how much better Google apps work on iOS. I’m thoroughly invested in the Google ecosystem and have been very happy how well all my Google apps have worked.
I went all in ....... got the Air Pods and the watch so I’m here for a while.... :) Really liking how well Apple things work and work together!

ryland Johnson

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I have a Note 8 and use this as my daily. Totally happy with the Note 8. Purchased an iPhone 8+ to use for music only in combination with my portable DAC-Amp's that don't behave well with Android devices.
Not going to lie, trying IOS after Android is a steep learning curve and have yet to sort myself out with the iPhone.

Please understand both OS's are as different as chalk and cheese but that's all they are, different. Positives and negatives on both operating systems.

It would be foolish to write one brand is superior to the other. You need to use what fits your needs regardless of brand or hype etc. I use them both.

Ryland

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Ditto. I jumped over in January 2017. Finally after a month or so got used to not customizing. I prefer stability security updates and just WORKING! Less headaches
All in. iPad Pro Mac Pro. Watch and iPhone
Got the AirPods. Love them

shaleem

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
As I have said in other posts, this is my very first iPhone. I did not find the transition too difficult. However, I admit that I do miss not being able to customize my phone like I was able to do with my Samsung Note phones. But, I am totally impressed with my 8 Plus. I find it to be a remarkable device. I'm amazed at the difference in battery life compared to Samsung. I admit that I'm not the power user that many of you probably are, but I've never experienced better battery life with any phone that I've used in the past. I guess the biggest thing for me is that it just made sense for me to switch to the iPhone 8 Plus. I use a Macbook Pro and I have the iPad Pro 10.5. I thought about waiting for the iPhone X, but there really wasn't enough of a difference, in my opinion, for me to wait. That may change down the road, of course, but as of now there isn't.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I seriously doubt u will be happy using the iPhone if you can’t give up customizing. I finally got used to it and personally I don’t mind. I prefer Apple for how it functions. iOS11 was wonky at first but updates have made it better. Google apps work great on the iPhone. I find even better than on Android. SECURUTY is great on the iPhone.
Just because u have friends on Apple doesn’t mean u will like it. I have friends using Android and we still communicate just fine.
The OS is vastly different. Both platforms are good. But u have to be openly accepting the changes. It takes time. I was on Android many years.
Made the switch a yr in January. I am happy with it

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I seriously doubt u will be happy using the iPhone if you can’t give up customizing. I finally got used to it and personally I don’t mind. I prefer Apple for how it functions. iOS11 was wonky at first but updates have made it better. Google apps work great on the iPhone. I find even better than on Android. SECURUTY is great on the iPhone.
Just because u have friends on Apple doesn’t mean u will like it. I have friends using Android and we still communicate just fine.
The OS is vastly different. Both platforms are good. But u have to be openly accepting the changes. It takes time. I was on Android many years.
Made the switch a yr in January. I am happy with it

Excellent response. I have used both for years and I could use either and make it work for me. I do find that it’s much easier being on iOS with my family though. Then when you start buying the Apple Watch, AirPods, etc... it really becomes convenient to just stick with Apple.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have it all. Lol. Love the AirPods. Music sounds awesome! Watch iPad Pro 12.9. Mac Pro. I did the switch to everything Apple

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
With Apple being new to the complete touch screen and not utilizing Touch ID even as an option I don’t want the X. I want to see what happens next yr
Face ID was horrible on Samsung. It was worthless to me. And the price. Only 64 gig and 256 gig. They could had made a 128 gig too.
If I upgrade in Feb when I can it will be the 8+. 256 gig. I am not replacing what works well for me in the features
I know someone out of state whose fiancé got her the X. She had the 6+.
She loves it. Told me to get it. I am not a fan. I will admit it’s pretty. But that notch also bothers me. I don’t need talking emoji. I do think the commercial for it is very cute tho

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Long time Android user here who talked smack about iOS for years.
But because I love all things tech I got the itch to try an iPhone. Got my 6S Plus a little over a year ago ( with a lot of trepidation) and was surprised how much I have liked it.
I also customized the wazoo out of my Androids and loved it but could never leave it alone. Just the fact I could change it so much kept me always thinking I could tweak it a little more as it would be even better. It never ended!
I could almost say it’s been a relief to not be able to change too much. Lol!
But the biggest surprise is how much better Google apps work on iOS. I’m thoroughly invested in the Google ecosystem and have been very happy how well all my Google apps have worked.
I went all in ....... got the Air Pods and the watch so I’m here for a while.... :) Really liking how well Apple things work and work together!

I did the exact same thing. Am pleased I jumped over to the dark side. !

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I did see today that you CAN do some customizing - it was interesting and time consuming and that is without jail breaking it???

I have a Note 8 and an apple watch (currently paired to an old iphone of my father's). The 38mm apple watch is the only small one that I can find that works well for me. I am considering switching to the iphone.... just not sure.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Embrace iOS for what it is and try not to draw parallels between the two operating systems. There are some definite advantages to iOS, imo. Try to find those and what works best for you. If you spend your time picking out what Android did and what iOS doesn't, you may find yourself disappointed. But if you take your time and just embrace iOS with an open mind, you'll probably find that it does what you need it to do just fine. In some ways, better than Android might.

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I too made the switch about 2-3 weeks ago. Some things could definitely be improved on both os. What I've learned so far using an iPhone instead of android. Battery life is WAY better on my iPhone compared to the Note 8 Galaxy S8+. Apps seem to be better optimized on ios rather than android. The selection of accessories is so much better for an iphone which I guess is because they only have to make accessories for 3-4 iphones a year as opposed to 100 different android models. I thought I would miss customizing more than I have so far.