Wait for warm weather to buy an iPhone 8+

sticbow

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have been so happy with my 8+ until tonight....now left very frustrated...

Earlier tonight I was trying to take a picture of my son outside it was 35 degrees out. And the flash would not function on my 8+ I could turn the flashlight on but the flash on the camera was a no go. So I had to use his SE in order to take a picture. My phone is updated to the newest 11.2 and after bringing it back into the house a half hour later the flash was working fine.

While we were outside I thought perhaps I was missing something so I searched on the internet and saw quite a few people complaining about the same issue.. does anyone know if apple is doing anything to rectify this ? I remember the update before last said they were fixing the X but it must not have been taking care of the 8.. winter is just now bearing down on us and I am guessing there is going to be a large backlash concerning this.

I find it upsetting to have a 900.00 phone in my hand that cannot take a picture because it is cold..but yet I can grab my sons SE and take as many as I wish..

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,
I’m sorry that this happened to your 8 Plus.
Hopefully, Apple will soon release a software update to fix the issue.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Could be a bug similar to the X touch screen issue. I would stop into the Apple Store if you have one near you and ask and possibly check the Apple Support forums for any threads on this issue to see if it's potentially isolated issue or a defect in your 8 Plus.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t have an iPhone 8 Plus, but like others, I’ve never had an iPhone to react in the same manner as described by the OP. With my iPhone 7 Plus, I’ve been in temperatures in the teens and it worked without a problem.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8 plus and I'll leave phone in the freezer for awhile then check it out in a dark room to see if I can recreate the issue. I don't take a lot of pictures and phone is usually in my pocket so it's warm.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the 8 plus and I'll leave phone in the freezer for awhile then check it out in a dark room to see if I can recreate the issue. I don't take a lot of pictures and phone is usually in my pocket so it's warm.

I really hope you’re joking!! Right??

Leaving the phone in the freezer does more damage than leaving a phone out in the cold at the same temperature. Just saying.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well left 8 plus in freezer for over an hour, flash does not work on a cold 8 plus waiting for it to warm up now.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Leaving the phone in the freezer does more damage than leaving a phone out in the cold at the same temperature. Just saying.

Not really. The average freezer is about 20-30 degrees F. It's colder outside right now than the temperature in my freezer.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Not Joking, Ive left my phones in the car all night in the past in teens degrees never had a problem with them.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I would , the only thing I've seen kill an iPhone besides water damage was heat. My daughter left an iPhone 4 in the sun on the beach and it never recovered.