VZW unlimited throttle speeds

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, as I wrote in the post after that, I've never had it happen on my iPhone or iPad, but it definitely happened on my Jetpack MiFi when I was still on that device last month. It dropped to 600 kilobits/s download speed till the end of the billing period.

Currently both my iPhone and iPad show 10GB / 10GB high-speed hotspot data available, so either they're letting it slide at this time or their system for monitoring & throttling phone/tablet hotspot data is not yet implemented. I'm definitely at least a little over the hotspot cap on one or both my devices.

Yeah from watching the Verizon Wireless reddit (/r/verizon) it seems the 10 GB Hotspot is rolling out to more and more people. Some are still unaffected.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I rarely use tethering since my company gives us an unlimited hotspot from ATT. I might use 1GB of tethering a month.
I'm on a 40GB plan and I rarely go past that.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never been deprioritized but I believe a few folks here have been. Hopefully they'll respond soon.

How would one know if they have or haven't been deprioritized? Does Verizon send out something letting you know that's what's happening?

I can't say for sure whether I have or haven't, honestly. If I have...I didn't notice it because it didn't affect me too greatly or it didn't happen at a time where I was doing something that required the higher speeds, such as video streaming or high quality audio streams.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Agree. I don't understand how it's possible unless you don't have home wireless and use your phone for all your internet usage.

I'm around 30 GB this month with a few days remaining. I stream audio/video while at my desk at work and I stream music whenever I'm in my car. That's where my usage comes from.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
How would one know if they have or haven't been deprioritized? Does Verizon send out something letting you know that's what's happening?

I can't say for sure whether I have or haven't, honestly. If I have...I didn't notice it because it didn't affect me too greatly or it didn't happen at a time where I was doing something that required the higher speeds, such as video streaming or high quality audio streams.

Good point....I guess I should say my speeds haven't been lowered for any period of time that I was using data.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

If you're over 22 GB you're set lower on the tower right away... So just think if you're over that amount you're being de-prioritized. You will only notice reduced speeds if the tower becomes congested. If it isn't congested you being on the lower prioritization won't matter since all data will be flowing, however, once congested the "line" gets formed (basically) and you will be put more to the back of the line versus a customer who hasn't used 22 GB.

Depending on the task these speeds may not matter. Streaming HD Video? The speed drop could be noticeable. Just streaming podcasts? You may not notice since they aren't as intense on the data connection so even though it is taking longer to get the whole podcast streamed it doesn't matter for you actually listening to it.

SandersJC1964

May 3, 2016
Visit site
A good analogy is a super-highway with an HOV lane. Under 22Gb you are in the HOV lane and move at highway speed or better. Once you pass 22GB, you are moved over to the regular lanes, and if there's not a lot of traffic, you stay at highway speeds or better. But if you hit a spot of heavy traffic, you slow down until the traffic clears up, then you're back at highway speeds. With the 10GB hotspot, at 10GB you get moved all the way over to the truck lane at max speed 45 mph.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have VZW and have gone over 28GB like 4 times since I got the unlimited plan. I was never throttled or at least I didn't notice if they did.

Many have posted that they don't understand how you can use that much data in a month. I have a sling box and use it all the time to watch sports and shows while I'm at work. It streams in HD so data consumption is pretty high.

jenni122701

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
We have 5 phones and an iPad that use data on VZW unlimited plan. Use quite a lot of data for sure. Haven’t noticed any slowing down really though.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
A good analogy is a super-highway with an HOV lane. Under 22Gb you are in the HOV lane and move at highway speed or better. Once you pass 22GB, you are moved over to the regular lanes, and if there's not a lot of traffic, you stay at highway speeds or better. But if you hit a spot of heavy traffic, you slow down until the traffic clears up, then you're back at highway speeds. With the 10GB hotspot, at 10GB you get moved all the way over to the truck lane at max speed 45 mph.
You've obviously never driven in the HOV lane here in Hawaii...it's as slow as the others.... 😐

Good analogy though.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

This is a good analogy. Just depends how congested to hit speeds. As I said below it can get super rough coming up to 5 PM and during 5 PM at my work (I am talking 0.2 Mbps down rough). After it goes back though :).

I used 110 GB last month. During rush hour (my work is next to the highway) if I'm over 22 GB I notice a huge slow down. For about an hour.. from 5 to 6. After that it goes back to normal.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I think I'll be switching to the unlimited plan in November. I usually stay around the 20-25GB range. But it drops my plans by about $40/month.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll be switching to the unlimited plan in November. I usually stay around the 20-25GB range. But it drops my plans by about $40/month.

This appears to have been before the changes to the Verizon Unlimited plans were announced. Not sure if it's still saving anyone money now. Thankfully I switched when it was first announced.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR