VZW unlimited throttle speeds

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone used over the 22GB and experienced throttled speeds on congested towers? That's what I read on VZWs website and people explaining it to anyone asking about it. I have yet to read someone get throttled after 22GB.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I don’t have time to be using that much cellular day within a month’s time........Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if VZW did indeed begin throttling people who consume amounts over 22 GBs.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Heck, I don’t have time to be using that much cellular day within a month’s time........Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if VZW did indeed begin throttling people who consume amounts over 22 GBs.

Agree. I don't understand how it's possible unless you don't have home wireless and use your phone for all your internet usage.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Agree. I don't understand how it's possible unless you don't have home wireless and use your phone for all your internet usage.
I used 29 GB'S last month on Tmo. Luckily they don't throttle until 32. How? It's easy. I have ESPN shows like First Take and the Jump on many times while at the office. No Wi-Fi since everything is desktop and they don't care if we have stuff like that on while we work as long as we get our jobs done.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
My usage varies. I can go anywhere between 10GB to 24GB depending on my travel schedule. I'll listen to Pandora for a 6 hour drive back and fourth.

Some hotels have terrible wifi so I use my phone as a hotspot and hook up my iPad to the TV to watch a movie if nothing is on. But then when I'm home, I'm on wifi and I might hit 10GB/month.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if VZW did indeed begin throttling people who consume amounts over 22 GBs.

It depends on the area you're in and how much data traffic is out there. I've never been deprioritized & I'm over 22GB most months.

Disagree!!!!! I have home wifi & still use over 22GB a month. I'm not always home and rather than have my device searching for a good wifi signal, I just use my data. Between listening to Pandora, Apple Music Radio, Podcasts, and live news while out, it's very possible. That doesn't even include being in the forums, checking/writing emails, webex meetings and ordering things online while I'm out and about. I just can't be bothered with public wifi....I have too much to get accomplished

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My usage varies. I can go anywhere between 10GB to 24GB depending on my travel schedule. I'll listen to Pandora for a 6 hour drive back and fourth.

Some hotels have terrible wifi so I use my phone as a hotspot and hook up my iPad to the TV to watch a movie if nothing is on. But then when I'm home, I'm on wifi and I might hit 10GB/month.

Verizon does not "throttle". They prioritize. It's not the same as throttling. I've been away from home and wifi for over a week. The wifi here is horrible, so I use my unlimited data. This is our usage in the first 6 days of the cycle. I've used over 29 gb with absolutely no prioritizing (that I can tell) and certainly no throttling. And I'm in a downtown setting.
f5320b409abb98ecf1cfe4196844d72e.jpg

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It depends on the area you're in and how much data traffic is out there. I've never been deprioritized & I'm over 22GB most months.

Disagree!!!!! I have home wifi & still use over 22GB a month. I'm not always home and rather than have my device searching for a good wifi signal, I just use my data. Between listening to Pandora, Apple Music Radio, Podcasts, and live news while out, it's very possible. That doesn't even include being in the forums, checking/writing emails, webex meetings and ordering things online while I'm out and about. I just can't be bothered with public wifi....I have too much to get accomplished

I don't stream music or videos, which can chew up data. That certainly makes a huge difference.
At home I'm on WiFi. At work and away, network. While I use my phone a lot I don't come anywhere near that kind of usage.
Sounds like the difference is streaming.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Keep in mind that the de-prioritizing after 22GB, if it happens, will only last as long as the current tower is congested. Then it bounces back to normal high speeds. You might not even notice it's happening if you're not streaming HD or something.

This is unlike the throttling you get if you hit 10GB when tethering or using hotspot from a device. That cuts you down to about 600Kb/s download speed (VERY noticeable! I've had it happen) and lasts until the end of the billing period.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't stream music or videos, which can chew up data. That certainly makes a huge difference.
At home I'm on WiFi. At work and away, network. While I use my phone a lot I don't come anywhere near that kind of usage.

Are you on an unlimited data plan? Many things can "chew up" data. But since I have unlimited data, I don't worry about it. If I've been prioritized, I haven't noticed. It's certainly better than the sucky wifi where I am. LOL

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone used over the 22GB and experienced throttled speeds on congested towers? That's what I read on VZWs website and people explaining it to anyone asking about it. I have yet to read someone get throttled after 22GB.

Nope. I go over 22GB every month. They way I understand Verizon's "prioritized", NOT "throttled", is that if you do go over the allotted 22gb of 4GB/LTE speeds someone that has less gigabyte used will go in front of you on the tower that's being used in that area. I have yet to experience any loss of speed on Data or the allotted 10gb of 4GB/LTE speeds for the Hotspot either.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
... I have yet to experience any loss of speed on Data or the allotted 10gb of 4GB/LTE speeds for the Hotspot either.

I did on my Jetpack last month after two months of being able to hotspot as much as I needed without throttling. I guess they finally got their system enabled for the cap.

I've yet to experience the over-10GB hotspot throttling on my iPhone or iPad (replaced the Jetpack) even though I know I'm over the cap on both*. Either they're letting it slide or the autocap isn't enabled yet, for me at least.

*Before anyone questions why I use so much I'll state that this is my sole source of internet connectivity. Zero other viable options for my current situation. And repeatedly setting up iDevices with iOS and app updates—I've gone through a few new ones this month, with several restores each due to stuff happening—eats a LOT of data! ;)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Are you on an unlimited data plan? Many things can "chew up" data. But since I have unlimited data, I don't worry about it. If I've been prioritized, I haven't noticed. It's certainly better than the sucky wifi where I am. LOL

No. I'm on a 4gb plan with Cricket. More than enough for my usage. Email, text, forums, weather, news, etc. I don't stream music or videos. Never come close to using my allotment.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've yet to experience the over-10GB hotspot throttling on my iPhone or iPad (replaced the Jetpack) even though I know I'm over the cap on both*. Either they're letting it slide or the autocap isn't enabled yet, for me at least.

Same here and when I go into my Verizon account to check it states hotspot has 10gb left. Verizon will probably correct this soon so lets enjoy it while we can...LOL

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I used 110 GB last month. During rush hour (my work is next to the highway) if I'm over 22 GB I notice a huge slow down. For about an hour.. from 5 to 6. After that it goes back to normal.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

It's definitely a difference in usage, but neither is absurd.

Keep in mind that the de-prioritizing after 22GB, if it happens, will only last as long as the current tower is congested. Then it bounces back to normal high speeds. You might not even notice it's happening if you're not streaming HD or something.

This is unlike the throttling you get if you hit 10GB when tethering or using hotspot from a device. That cuts you down to about 600Kb/s download speed (VERY noticeable! I've had it happen) and lasts until the end of the billing period.

You are correct with being prioritized. As far as throttling for using over 10GB of hotspot usage, I've never seen this happen. It's written in the details but I use my hotspot for my iPad all the time and the speeds have been just fine.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It's definitely a difference in usage, but neither is absurd.

You are correct with being prioritized. As far as throttling for using over 10GB of hotspot usage, I've never seen this happen. It's written in the details but I use my hotspot for my iPad all the time and the speeds have been just fine.

Nah, not absurd.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
... You are correct with being prioritized. As far as throttling for using over 10GB of hotspot usage, I've never seen this happen. It's written in the details but I use my hotspot for my iPad all the time and the speeds have been just fine.

Yeah, as I wrote in the post after that, I've never had it happen on my iPhone or iPad, but it definitely happened on my Jetpack MiFi when I was still on that device last month. It dropped to 600 kilobits/s download speed till the end of the billing period.

Currently both my iPhone and iPad show 10GB / 10GB high-speed hotspot data available, so either they're letting it slide at this time or their system for monitoring & throttling phone/tablet hotspot data is not yet implemented. I'm definitely at least a little over the hotspot cap on one or both my devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR