VR/AR is coming to Mac, what headsets can we use?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

As you probably know with the advent of ARKit for Mac VR/AR is coming to Mac. And you can get it now IF you are savvy, BUT what headsets can you use? I have mostly (I think always) seen the HTC Vive used in demos. But will the Oculus Rift work? OR what about Windows Mixed Reality, headset? Yes yea I know it says WINDOWS in the name, BUT will the Mac support WMR? Or can you with bootcamp?

Anyways just a topic for discussion.

LtDarthWookie

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, I'm sure at the very least boot camp can be used for Windows Mixed Reality/Oculus. I wouldn't be surprised if Oculus added support eventually though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm sure at the very least boot camp can be used for Windows Mixed Reality/Oculus. I wouldn't be surprised if Oculus added support eventually though.

Boot camp should work but GPU would still be an issue with the vast majority of Macs. As of today only the top tier iMac and the iMac Pro have the power. You’d have to purchase a high end GPU and an external enclosure.

LtDarthWookie

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
That's true, I haven't looked at the price of enclosures recently but hopefully with the next generation of GPUs on the horizon people who want to buy them for gaming will be able to instead of them all getting grabbed up by crypto miners.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
areyes1631