Volume buttons are only changing "Volume" and not switching to ringer?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Howdy all,

My iPhone has been acting up a bit lately. Whenever I try to adjust the ringer volume with the side keys, the phone only adjusts the "Volume" not the "Ringer." I've tried everything - I toggled the side key option in Settings and I did a soft reset (which seems to fix the problem but it eventually returns). I can't figure out if there's an app running in the background that might be causing this? Has anyone else had this issue before?

I'm contemplating installing the public beta of iOS 9 on my phone tonight (because, yeah, installing a potentially buggy/glitchy OS on a device that's been giving me some issues sounds like a GREAT idea :rolleyes:)!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The volume control on the side of the phone is for the ringer. They are not separate. The bottom speaker is independent of the top speaker. But it has nothing to do with the ringer. What do you want the ringer to do?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The volume control on the side of the phone is for the ringer. They are not separate. The bottom speaker is independent of the top speaker. But it has nothing to do with the ringer. What do you want the ringer to do?

So I can't adjust the volume of the "Ringer" with the side buttons. It just keeps showing "Volume."

"Volume" is for videos/music/in-game sounds from the phone speaker. I want to adjust the phone ringer/text/email sounds and can't.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I can't adjust the volume of the "Ringer" with the side buttons. It just keeps showing "Volume."

"Volume" is for videos/music/in-game sounds from the phone speaker. I want to adjust the phone ringer/text/email sounds and can't.

See above ↑↑↑

NLE

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Same here! I've noticed that if I have certain games or apps capable of playing video (i.e. Facebook and Youtube) open in the background, I get this issue. When I clear them, however, I can change the "Ringer" level again when I'm at the home screen. Weird... It's not a problem with the iPhone, right? It's more of a software, iOS problem, maybe?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Same here! I've noticed that if I have certain games or apps capable of playing video (i.e. Facebook and Youtube) open in the background, I get this issue. When I clear them, however, I can change the "Ringer" level again when I'm at the home screen. Weird... It's not a problem with the iPhone, right? It's more of a software, iOS problem, maybe?

It's not a problem at all. The volume controls change functions depending on the situation. When on your home screen the volume controls the ringer. When in an app or playing media the volume rockers will control that the sound for said app or media being played.

Sent from my Six Plus

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Howdy all,

My iPhone has been acting up a bit lately. Whenever I try to adjust the ringer volume with the side keys, the phone only adjusts the "Volume" not the "Ringer." I've tried everything - I toggled the side key option in Settings and I did a soft reset (which seems to fix the problem but it eventually returns). I can't figure out if there's an app running in the background that might be causing this? Has anyone else had this issue before?

I'm contemplating installing the public beta of iOS 9 on my phone tonight (because, yeah, installing a potentially buggy/glitchy OS on a device that's been giving me some issues sounds like a GREAT idea :rolleyes:)!!

Thanks for the feedback!

What do you have as your option for Settings > Sounds Change with Buttons? If it's set to ON, the volume rocker button will adjust the ringer/alert volume. If it's off, you can only adjust the ringer/alert volume on the slider on the Settings > Sounds page.

NLE

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
No... I mean whenever I have those kinds of apps running the background and then back out onto my homescreen and then use the volume rockers, the rockers only control "Volume" and not "Ringer". They are suppose to control "Ringer" when I'm at the home screen. The only way I've fixed this every time it has happened is to clear out those kinds of apps from running in the background.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

If it's only happening with specific apps, it could be the apps or it could be something within iOS that interacts with those apps in an unexpected way. I'd suggest that you first contact Apple and see if they are aware of any issues, and then escalate to the app developers if necessary.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to load a beta of iOS 9 onto my phone last night. So far, knock on wood, I haven't experienced the issue again. That's not to say it won't happen but I'm wondering this there's a bug in iOS 8 that's causing this? I'm using all of the same apps on the iOS 9 beta that I used before. I'll have to report back after a few more days of usage.

I also was worried there was something wrong with my iPhone headphone jack (as in something is broken/stuck inside the jack which is causing the "volume" issue). A soft reset fixed it before I updated and, like I said, it hasn't been back since I switched to the iOS 9 beta. Only time will tell.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on 8.4 and don't have volume issues. Sometimes if I don't turn the volume back up after listening to music or watching videos, it shows on the lock screen. I have to go and turn it back up and hit the || icon.

kdbailey

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm on 9.0.2 and I've noticed that in some situations my ringer is what the volume was set to on a video/audio in a specific app or safari. However, I do not know which one. I found this because a couple nights ago I set an alarm for the morning and set the ringer up loud and woke up late and found the alarm going off silently. This happened the night before as well (which is why I made sure to turn the volume up). I remembered watching a video in which I turned the volume all the way down.

Like I said, I don't know what caused this. I don't know if it's a specific app or what, but it is rather annoying because I've also had situations where I turned the ringer down, but receiving notifications was extremely loud. I hope Apple gets this figured out.:sick:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If you want to change volume then start playing a video or music and when you press the side keys the volume will change independently of the ringer volume.

aadupeitel

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
If you want to change volume then start playing a video or music and when you press the side keys the volume will change independently of the ringer volume.

Sry my bad engish....

Ok. Old topic but anyway....
Did you read previous posts???
I had similar issue with ios10.
I closed all background apps and even after restart: pushing side buttons (+ -) appears "Volume" instead of ringer. And I could'nt mute "volume" pressing "-" side button. Always remains one bar (or dot, little square).
Normally you can minimize (mute) Volume with "-" button- i mean ringer is ringing but music/games/videos are muted (without sound).

Meghan Lamar

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
What do you have as your option for Settings > Sounds Change with Buttons? If it's set to ON, the volume rocker button will adjust the ringer/alert volume. If it's off, you can only adjust the ringer/alert volume on the slider on the Settings > Sounds page.
That worked for me. Thanks for the help

andyboo06

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
Really all you have to do is turn the ringer button off and then back on and try to adjust the ringer with side buttons.It worked just fine for me, so it should work just fine for you.

Nick6425

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Hey there, I was having the same problem. If you go into your settings under sounds and haptics, you are able to enable an option to “change with buttons”. If you click that it should work the old way. Hope that helps!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2