VIP worse than AT&T iPhone

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
What service? Customer Service? Reception Service? Data Service? Lip Service Full Service?

I haven't had one dropped call, although I've only talked for 3 hours total since I've had the phone. Data service has been fine and I've had no trouble connecting to any websites or apps. Notifications however have been solid for the most part, minus a few glitches with Facebook.

I live in the Westside of Los Angeles which is dense population.

Reactions: larry5332

trjnberry

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
BGR says service is worse on ViP than on AT&T. Why I switched back to an AT&T iPhone | BGR. What say you ViP users? I have been considering it but have been waiting for all the reviewers to speak up. Need to continue with a phone that has good connectivity.

As they say in real estate sales... location, location, location! In certain parts of the country, ATT is better than Verizon, but my area is not one of them! I left ATT for Verizon long before the iPhone came along because the Verizon phone worked where my ATT phone wouldn't. To this day, the only dropped calls I get are to ATT customers. I wonder why? :)

larry5332

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I say, you have 14 days to try out the ViP4 yourself in the areas you travel in, so what do you have to lose...

Cali, have considered, but I am a big rig driver and don't always make it back home with in 14 days of leaving. It is not easy to find a place to park these big beasts close to Verizon stores.

larry5332

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What service? Customer Service? Reception Service? Data Service? Lip Service Full Service?

I haven't had one dropped call, although I've only talked for 3 hours total since I've had the phone. Data service has been fine and I've had no trouble connecting to any websites or apps. Notifications however have been solid for the most part, minus a few glitches with Facebook.

I live in the Westside of Los Angeles which is dense population.
karnov, I already have Verizon service. Have a Mac at home and a MacBook on the road and enjoy using the Apple products most times. Usually have good service with Verizon in my travels, why I am curios about others experience with the phone on Verizon network, not uncommon to have bugs in new hardware.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been absolutely fantastic. The only bug I had was when I JB... haha. This is the smoothest and most polished phone I've ever had. The battery life is incredible, the voice call quality fantastic (sometimes I have to ask the other person if they're still there, as there's no static on the line), data speeds are... Verizon data speeds :D but I've been able to stream Netflix no problem, YouTube, pretty much anything. I have ZERO complaints. I came from a blackberry, and there's just NO comparison. This thing is superior in every way.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
karnov, I already have Verizon service. Have a Mac at home and a MacBook on the road and enjoy using the Apple products most times. Usually have good service with Verizon in my travels, why I am curios about others experience with the phone on Verizon network, not uncommon to have bugs in new hardware.

I think you know what phone to get! ;)

Since you are a big rig driver and I assume you travel all over the place, therefore reception is probably your biggest concern and you like Apple products, so go with the ViP. The ViP has about the same reception as my other Verizon phones I've had (blackberry Curve, Motorola e815, Audiovox 8900) and the call quality is on par, if not better than my Curve and e815.

BTW, Please do not Text and drive your big rig! :D

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
With all honesty, BGR is full of shi*, and he has been for a while. He gives good info sometimes, but its very clear to see through his agendas. He was bashing the the VZW Iphone before it was even released, if you have him on your twitter, you will know what I mean. Then he claims that VZW's CDMA network is old, when it is factually newer than GSM. Why did he even bring that up in the first place? "One of the reasons Verizon?s network is so expansive and solid is because it?s old. Verizon has been building this same network out for ages and so it seemingly stretches beyond any other ? but it?s built on an aging and extremely outdated cellular technology." What's the point in saying this? Especially considering the fact that just about every survey says VZW's network is better than everyone else's, including AT&T. And one final thing, I find it interesting that BGR is the only blogger that I've seen say this about their experience with the VZW Iphone. Everyone else has praised it, except for a few of them saying that the data is slower than AT&T's.

snakester9

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
BGR says service is worse on ViP than on AT&T. Why I switched back to an AT&T iPhone | BGR. What say you ViP users? I have been considering it but have been waiting for all the reviewers to speak up. Need to continue with a phone that has good connectivity.

I've had my VZW iPhone for about a week, and here's my observations. BTW, the main reason I didn't go with the ATT one is they don't cover my house.

Reception is a little bit worse than with my Droid X, which I fully expected going in because I knew that one of the big things Moto is known for is their cell antennas.

I've dropped one call with my new iPhone, and it was driving through an area where, although the X wouldn't drop the call, it would garble up so bad that I'd have to ask the person what they were saying again or repeat myself. Streaming seems fine, as long as I push the buffers in the programs out a little bit.

The only thing I've noticed that's sort of a negative compared to my X is that if I'm in a low signal area and havent used the phone in a while, it can sometimes take a few seconds to actually re-negotiate the data connection. This, as far as I have read, is a power saving measure, and I can deal with it considering how much better the battery has been compared to my X.

Sure, the data speeds are slightly slower, but a co-worker of mine has an ATT iPhone 4, and my phone seems to beat it network response time wise. Sure, his will work a bit better when downloading large things, but mine seems to 'kick-in' faster, for lack of a better explanation.

Overall, I'm quite happy with my VZW iPhone, even though the path to getting it almost took me to ATT because of their ineptitude customer service wise.

larry5332

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
briank, I don't follow anyone on twitter, but think I do agree with you about BGR. That's why I come here for most iPhone info. Still don't hurt to ask others opinions, that's why I came here to you guys, knew I would get real world info .:D

snakester9

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
With all honesty, BGR is full of shi*, and he has been for a while. He gives good info sometimes, but its very clear to see through his agendas. He was bashing the the VZW Iphone before it was even released, if you have him on your twitter, you will know what I mean. Then he claims that VZW's CDMA network is old, when it is factually newer than GSM. Why did he even bring that up in the first place? "One of the reasons Verizon?s network is so expansive and solid is because it?s old. Verizon has been building this same network out for ages and so it seemingly stretches beyond any other ? but it?s built on an aging and extremely outdated cellular technology." What's the point in saying this? Especially considering the fact that just about every survey says VZW's network is better than everyone else's, including AT&T. And one final thing, I find it interesting that BGR is the only blogger that I've seen say this about their experience with the VZW Iphone. Everyone else has praised it, except for a few of them saying that the data is slower than AT&T's.

I can't help but notice a lot of the crap he's complaining about in that article he's complaining about just for the sake of complaining about it. Like the part where he says something like "I want to be able to use my phone in other countries" and then follows it up with the fact that he hates to fly, not to mention that he doesn't mention anything about AT&T international rates being completely nuts. Or calling VZW's network 'old'. It just seemed like amateur writing to me, and slimy reviewing, using stuff you don't care about to make something look bad that probably isn't a big deal to the target audience of the product being reviewed.

Vaman49

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a VZW customer and switched from a BB STorm 2 to the iP4. I've had it for a couple weeks now and have had 0 dropped calls...of course the BB never dropped calls either. It my part of the country, VZW is solid.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing is, BG is probably paid more than ANY of you. Also, if AT&T paid me like that I'd probably say whatever they wanted me to within reason. AT&T already pays me damn well as it is....

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If anyone bases their cellular service provider choice on someone else's recommendation, they deserve what they get. For some, VZW is better... others it's AT&T... and Sprint and T-Mo and Mom&Pop Cellular. First pick the provider, based on where you live, where you work, where you go, etc... THEN select the handset that best meets your need ON THAT PROVIDER'S network... doing anything else is simply a recipe for frustration and failure.

Letting some hack with a blog tell you what's best is foolish. In life, your mileage ALWAYS varies... so do your homework and know what you're getting yourself into. Find a provider/handset combo that works for you and tell the pundits and fanboys to take a hike.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It really depends on what carrier works best in your area. In my area its At&t but your area may be Verizon. You can only test each one for yourself to answer that question

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR