Video editor to replace QuickTime Pro

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
For years (decades) I have been using QuickTime Pro to do small video edits. I absolutely love it. But with the next release of macOS it won't run any more, since its 32 bit.

Can anyone recommend a good similar replacement?

It doesn't have to be free, it doesn't even have to be inexpensive. It just needs to be simple and incredibly easy to use.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
For years (decades) I have been using QuickTime Pro to do small video edits. I absolutely love it. But with the next release of macOS it won't run any more, since its 32 bit.

Can anyone recommend a good similar replacement?

It doesn't have to be free, it doesn't even have to be inexpensive. It just needs to be simple and incredibly easy to use.

What version of QuickTime are you using that is 32 bit? Update to QuickTime 10. FYI: QuickTime 7 support is being removed from MacOS Catalina. QuickTime 7 is kind of outdated anyway.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201066

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
What version of QuickTime are you using that is 32 bit? Update to QuickTime 10. FYI: QuickTime 7 support is being removed from MacOS Catalina. QuickTime 7 is kind of outdated anyway.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201066

Is there a Pro version of QuickTime 10? With QuickTime 10 I cannot figure out how to copy and paste parts of a video clip.

There is "split clip" but I don't quite get it. With 7 Pro I could simply press shift and move along the progress bar to select a part of a movie and then copy and paste it normally.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Is there a Pro version of QuickTime 10? With QuickTime 10 I cannot figure out how to copy and paste parts of a video clip.

There is "split clip" but I don't quite get it. With 7 Pro I could simply press shift and move along the progress bar to select a part of a movie and then copy and paste it normally.

There is not a Pro version of QuickTime 10. Apple discontinued QuickTime 7 Pro, but allowed people to use it for old legacy codec support, which have mostly all been replaced with mor modern robust codecs.

Here is a list of keyboard commands for QuickTime 10.
https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/keyboard-shortcuts-and-gestures-qtpa4808515d/mac

QuickTime user guide:
https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/welcome/mac

There is even a section on working with split clips.
https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/split-a-movie-into-clips-qtpa2d90df3d/mac

Last edited:

Andrew Brehm

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
There is not a Pro version of QuickTime 10. Apple discontinued QuickTime 7 Pro, but allowed people to use it for old legacy codec support, which have mostly all been replaced with mor modern robust codecs. QuickTime 10 is far more powerful. Many people suggest the IINA program as an alternative to QuickTime 7. Have you tried that? It supports plugins.

Thanks. I will try IINA.

QuickTime 10 doesn't seem to be more powerful than QuickTime 7 Pro. Maybe IINA is as good.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I will try IINA.

QuickTime 10 doesn't seem to be more powerful than QuickTime 7 Pro. Maybe IINA is as good.

If you are simply looking to do clip splitting and moving around, iMovie is free, powerful and can handle 4K video. Nothing to be ashamed of. iMovie is built on Final Cut Pro’s engine.

daknecht

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi Andrew- I am the same situation and still use Quicktime 7 Pro for movie editing. The thing I do most often is add multiple movies to a single file and position them side by side or in a grid so they play simultaneously. Do any replacements do that easily? Thanks- Dave

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Andrew- I am the same situation and still use Quicktime 7 Pro for movie editing. The thing I do most often is add multiple movies to a single file and position them side by side or in a grid so they play simultaneously. Do any replacements do that easily? Thanks- Dave

Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm sure that you will find the help you're looking for. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Lapskata

May 27, 2021
Visit site
don't know about you guys but I have recently switched to apple and now I use only iMovie for all the needs regarding video editing)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
don't know about you guys but I have recently switched to apple and now I use only iMovie for all the needs regarding video editing)

Hello and welcome to iMore! It's good to have you here. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
you shouldn't switch to epl just because of video editing

Did you mean ‘Apple’ and not ‘epl’ ? If so Apple devices are very good at video editing irrespective of what app you are using. Try LumaFusion as this is probably the best overall for day to day editing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods